Writing 5
Listening 6.5
Overall 6.5

Speaking 6
Reading 5.5
Writing 5.5
Listening 6.5
Overall 6
Neither really, it depends if your target uni's specify just an overall score or include components also. Check their Englsh requirements online.
Sam.C.Mat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mdara57)
Hello!
I want to ask which ielts score considered higher:

Speaking 6.5
Reading 7
Writing 5
Listening 6.5
Overall 6.5

Speaking 6
Reading 5.5
Writing 5.5
Listening 6.5
Overall 6
The first is better overall, just lower on writing.
The writing can be a little odd because it has hard boundaries in mark bands.
If you get good scores for the other skills but not writing it usually means you can do the grammar but are making too many slips (spelling errors, irregular verbs, tense formation) and don't have good enough structure. Structure is usually the hardest bit to learn, because English language education values it really highly and the structure we use is different to other cultures and languages.
This illustrates the differences with essay structure in different cultures. The English one is very direct and business like, just less elegant or literary

This is the mark scheme - you can see that at level 5 you're probably making too many errors and not trying enough more advanced language.

mdara57
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
sh requirements online.[/QUOTE]

I took the exams last year, I wanted to retake the exam this year but because of the pandemic the exam centers are closed. Do you think the university will take this into consideration?
johntalks
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by mdara57)
sh requirements online.
I took the exams last year, I wanted to retake the exam this year but because of the pandemic the exam centers are closed. Do you think the university will take this into consideration?[/QUOTE]

I would recommend you to contact the University and ask them if you could be exempt from taking an exam. Given the unforeseen circumstances they may permit you not to sit the exam.

I have received a conditional offer from a UK University telling that I need to pass an English Language Exam.

I did take an IELTS Exam last week. In my Country they tend to offer both paper and computer-based exams. If you were to consider registering yourself for an IELTS test, I would recommend you to enrol for a computer-based exam, as results are published within 5-7 days relative to paper-based where the final outcome is released within 14 days.
Last edited by johntalks; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed