gracenam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey all,

Signed in because I'm desperate for advice on this one.

I'm a non-Eu international applicant(living in HK) and thus have no volunteer/work experience in the local(UK) school setting.

I want to become a secondary English teacher, and the PGCE course in the UK seems to offer a lot of hands-on practicum. I also want to live and work in the UK(lived in b'ham for a year during secondary and loved it!).

Are there ppl like me who have been accepted?

The only experience I have here is as a youth leader, teaching English to primary students online, etc(still no classroom observation). Unfortunately bc of the pandemic, all the schools are closed here...

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Are my chances low?
(i have oxbridge, bristol, ucl, brighton etc in mind)

+more info about me:
- finished bachelor's on a non-related field
- so this year I'm starting my master's on Eng lit
- planning to apply PGCE this Dec
Last edited by gracenam; 2 weeks ago
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gracenam)
Hey all,

I'm a non-Eu international applicant(living in HK) and thus have no volunteer/work experience in the local(UK) school setting.

I've always wanted to be a secondary English teacher, and the PGCE course in the UK seems to offer a lot of hands-on practicum. I also want to live and work in the UK(lived in b'ham for a year during secondary and loved it!).

The only experience I have here is as a youth leader, volunteering to teach English to primary students online, etc(still no classroom observation). Unfortunately bc of the pandemic, all the schools are closed here...

Are my chances extremely low?
(i had oxbridge, bristol, ucl, brighton etc in mind)

+more info about me:
- finished bachelor's on a non-related course
I think it is safe to say that we are desperate for teachers and it can be a very rewarding career.

Here is the website which should help you.

https://getintoteaching.education.go...seas-graduates
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by gracenam)
Hey all,

I want to become a secondary English teacher, and the PGCE course in the UK seems to offer a lot of hands-on practicum. I also want to live and work in the UK(lived in b'ham for a year during secondary and loved it!).

The only experience I have here is as a youth leader, teaching English to primary students online, etc(still no classroom observation). Unfortunately bc of the pandemic, all the schools are closed here...

Are my chances low?
(i have oxbridge, bristol, ucl, brighton etc in mind)

+more info about me:
- finished bachelor's on a non-related field
I don't think your chances are low, as a lot of people will be without experience when they apply next year. UCL is seen as the most prestigious/competitive PGCE, so I'd maybe avoid them as you can only initially apply for 3 choices. You could mention in your PS that you aim to get more experience when school reopen in Hong Kong.

AFIAK, as an NQT it can be quite hard to get a work visa as a teacher in the UK, so I would also look into this if you don't automatically have the right to live/work in the UK.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise