substitute courses for uni years 1 and 2.

Watch
Jaynew4
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
basically is there a level 4 or 5 course or courses that substitutes for year 1 and 2 at university to qualify as social worker ? for example doing an NVQ level 5 or some other type of level 5 in place of the 1st year at uni?

health and social care is very broad and if I were to do a level 4 and 5 in health and social care it won't cut down the 3 years of uni study needed to become a social worker. is there courses I can do to then do join a uni and do 1 year to then qualify?
Emily_B
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Have a look for HNC/HND in social work (higher national certificate/diploma ) - HNC = level 4 & HND = level 5, but then you'd have to find somewhere to the to level 6 top up... and would take the same amount of time as doing a degree.
Jaynew4
Rep:
?
Thanks Emily, that helps, now the other question is what course can I do that is geared more towards social work, and will be valid to a university in order to cut down my time at uni. to get a level 4 in Health and social care is too generic and is about management. I need to gear towards social work, any thoughts please?
Last edited by Jaynew4; 3 months ago
Emily_B
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you google "HND social work", you'll find loads of courses (it's 2 years to get level 5).
Jaynew4
Rep:
?
I will have a look now. hopefully I find something. if you come across any links to it, please send it my way,

many thanks Emily
CaramelCamel
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You could study a foundation degree for 2 years and then do a 1 year top-up, which you might decide to do later on in your career if you find that it's necessary. This is a similar option to doing a HND but have a look at the modules and the way they are assessed because there may be differences.

Here are some examples of foundation degrees related to health and social care. There are more universities and colleges that offer these programs than I have included - this is just a small selection.
University of Brighton - Health and Social Care Practice foundation degree
Blackburn College - Wellbeing and Social Care Practices Foundation Degree FdA
University of Wolverhampton - Health and Social Care FD (Arts)
East Durham College - Foundation Degree (FDA) in Health & Social Care
Jaynew4
Rep:
?
thank you,

Does anyone know of any charities or organisations who provide the degree apprenticeship route into social work? councils are not as they are training their current staff so that's a no no at the moment.
would appreciate the help.

Raj
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (534)
34.01%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (647)
41.21%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (317)
20.19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (72)
4.59%

Watched Threads