how to use my time effectively studying

Watch
how to study
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I have just started my A levels and i want to know how to effectively study for them.

SAXCXDVF
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by how to study)
I have just started my A levels and i want to know how to effectively study for them.
Hi,

It depends on what subjects you are doing. My A levels (maths, further maths, physics, computer science) and other STEM subjects just need you to pay attention in lesson, do lots of practice questions, and make sure to ask for help on a question if you can't answer it because you will move on very quickly (apart from computer science it's the easiest stem A level IMO)

For very content heavy (psych, history, politics, business, etc) you will be wanting to make lots of revision cards (I hope you like them!) and very good notes so that you can review them when you need to. Organisation will be imperative and the memorisation will be a hard slog at times (my gf is doing all content heavy and the notes are ridiculous) these content heavy tips will also apply to biology as this is very content heavy.

I hope this helped!

P.S: I showed gf and she said that mind maps are also really good for content
Last edited by SAXCXDVF; 3 weeks ago
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
different revision methods will work better for different subjects. following a rough revision timetable may help you so your time is somewhat organised. methods that use active recall are best such as flashcards and exam questions. don't revise for extremely long periods of time as this will end up being counterproductive- make sure you take regular breaks in between revision sessions. you know your limits best.
Advertisement
SusannaW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did bio, phys, chem and maths. As I had to do four subjects I made sure to regularly make revision cards, in particular before every mock exam - I found it helpful to treat each mock as a real exam. By that I mean I’d revise intensively, as much as I could for each mock and then less so during the rest of the term. For me this was better than revising constantly all the time, of course it’s not for everyone.

Also practising exam questions is very important - when you lose marks you have to identify where you have made mistakes, fix them and practise those areas in the future. And, as above users have mentioned, don’t revise for too long. Once you feel yourself getting tired you have to have a break or stop completely.

You will get better at revising as you go through sixth form, it’s a skill.
SusannaW
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also, I forgot to mention, if you really want to save time you should focus on revising areas you’re struggling with. I found going though the textbook or specification helpful to identify areas of weakness.
Advertisement
161BMW
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When I did A Levels Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.

I did a lot of questions for Maths and Further Maths.
Physics I did mindmaps and a lot of questions. Although can use index cards or flashcards.
Chemistry I did same as Physics although I spent less time revising chemistry as I only needed a B grade then and already had enough to make it an A grade.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (164)
24.92%
Better than expected (132)
20.06%
Worse than expected (362)
55.02%

Watched Threads