username2446583
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Im a law student at a top uni and am thinking of doing the BCL at oxford or an LLM at Harvard/NYU/Columbia after my degree. I know that it's highly beneficial for the commercial bar in london, but what about for US law firms in london? I know the MC doesnt give a hoot about doing a postgrad in law, but i've read around that US law firms love the oxbridge brand - due to clients etc. - is this true? or would they prefer a postgrad at say Harvard?
Last edited by username2446583; 2 weeks ago
username2549021
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The BCL is more useful if you pursue a career at the bar - in terms of what is more reputable. But an LLM from another good university like Harvard will be very useful too. Despite this, from what I hear, it is much easier to get funding from a university in the USA. That said, LLM students at Harvard learn alongside JD students who do not have previous law degrees. Whereas, the BCL is taught at a higher level, with an already existing strong grasp of the law being required.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The US firms traditionally liked Oxbridge grads more than any other redbrick when hiring laterals, because they had to go through US hiring committees and Oxbridge has a much better brand in the states.

These days I don't think it matters. I doubt there is much difference compared to how UK firms approach it.

Most of the US firms are a lot more established now and make hiring decisions locally, especially for TCs. You don't need to have an Oxbridge or Harvard degree to get a TC at a US firm.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (124)
24.65%
Better than expected (103)
20.48%
Worse than expected (276)
54.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed