How has school changed?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I left high school in 2011, at the age of sixteen. I'm wondering how school has changed as in I don't believe there was a year 12 or 13 when I was at school, 11 was the final year, before you went off to college, uni or getting a career.
rebeccatwsykes
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Some schools stop at 16, some have their own sixth form up to 18 to do mainly A levels. With my school there wasn’t even a difference between year 11 and year 12, it was just school carried on and no one discussed the option of moving unless you wanted to do a practical course or something. I legit didn’t even know there were places that were just a sixth form college
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
- we have the 9-1 system now
- obviously u have to finish high school now + college.
- yeah high school is year 11 and then year 12-13 is college years.
- sixth form college’s are attached to the high schools and the majority that go there went to the high school.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I left high school in 2011, at the age of sixteen. I'm wondering how school has changed as in I don't believe there was a year 12 or 13 when I was at school, 11 was the final year, before you went off to college, uni or getting a career.
I left secondary school in 2011 when I was 18 and had finished Year 13

I don't think too much has changed really apart from the GCSE grade system (which just doesn't make sense imo) and having all exams in May instead of some in January as well to ease the workload. I'm not 100% sure if this is the case anymore but at my school you took 4 subjects at AS level and dropped one for A Level, I think students just take the three they want to study for the whole two years now.

Edit: oh and when I finished Year 11 (2009) you could leave and get a job but now you have to stay in education
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 year ago
neko no basu
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
I left secondary school in 2011 when I was 18 and had finished Year 13

I don't think too much has changed really apart from the GCSE grade system (which just doesn't make sense imo) and having all exams in May instead of some in January as well to ease the workload. I'm not 100% sure if this is the case anymore but at my school you took 4 subjects at AS level and dropped one for A Level, I think students just take the three they want to study for the whole two years now.

Edit: oh and when I finished Year 11 (2009) you could leave and get a job but now you have to stay in education
Hi I just finished sixth form this year and as you said, the new GCSE doesn't really make a whole lot of sense! Not a fan of this whole 9-1 thing, especially since A levels are still in the letter format. And "I got all 9s at GCSE" doesn't sound as impressive as "I got all A*s at GCSE" imo.

All exams are now linear, were they in modules before? I think I would have preferred that tbh because it makes those exams less stressful knowing that not everything rests on exams at the end of the 2 years. And when my older sibling did their GCSEs, they were given blank copies of texts for English to take in, was that the same for you too? - because they're all closed book now :cry:

And with A levels/AS, yep at my school you still kind of do that, you do 4 subjects and then you drop one at AS and the one you drop is the one you do an AS in. But I think that some schools make their students do AS exams in all their subjects. Or as you said, you can just do 3 subjects and do no AS levels as I did
bones-mccoy
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by neko no basu)
Hi I just finished sixth form this year and as you said, the new GCSE doesn't really make a whole lot of sense! Not a fan of this whole 9-1 thing, especially since A levels are still in the letter format. And "I got all 9s at GCSE" doesn't sound as impressive as "I got all A*s at GCSE" imo.

All exams are now linear, were they in modules before? I think I would have preferred that tbh because it makes those exams less stressful knowing that not everything rests on exams at the end of the 2 years. And when my older sibling did their GCSEs, they were given blank copies of texts for English to take in, was that the same for you too? - because they're all closed book now :cry:

And with A levels/AS, yep at my school you still kind of do that, you do 4 subjects and then you drop one at AS and the one you drop is the one you do an AS in. But I think that some schools make their students do AS exams in all their subjects. Or as you said, you can just do 3 subjects and do no AS levels as I did
Yeah I much prefer the letter system, I don't see the logic in having multiple numbers denoting the same grade. A grade B is a grade B, a grade C is a grade C, there's no sense in having anything inbetween when it matter so little. Your average job will always ask for a C minimum at GCSE - it doesn't matter if it's a 4 or a 5.

Yeah, both my GCSE's and A Levels were modular which I'm thankful for as it's half the workload for each exam. It's also nice knowing that if you mess up one exam, you can try to balance it out with the other one whereas linear means you only have one chance and that's it. I also had blank copies of the novels we were doing for GCSE English, we had to bring in our own copies but make sure all quotes and notes were rubbed out.

I see! I dropped Physics after AS and continued with Maths, Chemistry and Biology for A2. I'm not sure which system I prefer actually. It's nice having the extra AS but I don't know if it was worth the stress.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 1 year ago
YRK01
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think Wales still has the modular system and letter grades
HardWork101
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Nothing has changed in the year system since your day the only thing that changed is the grading and the exams have gotten hard.

9=A**
8=A*
7=A
6=Higher B
5=Lower B /Higher C
4=C
3=D
2=E
1=F

U
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (134)
66.34%
No (46)
22.77%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
10.89%

Watched Threads