The Student Room Group

Should I take a gap year? (Help needed)

I have no idea what to do. I have an offer from a university that I like for an English degree, but I'm not sure whether I not I want to do an English degree and £27,000 is a lot of money to waste on a degree that you don't want to do.

I have considered trying to do law via clearing (I have some law experience + have read some books/done some courses on the subject) but I'm not 100% sure whether or not I want to do that either.

So if this was any other year, I would have done a gap year and reapplied.

I have some ideas for a gap year...
-Getting a job
-Applying for the Citizens Advice Bureau
-Going to court + trying to secure law experience
-Traveling

However, obviously, Covid-19 will likely get in the way of all of these things.

Furthermore, with the number of people I know who are differing, getting into university (especially for law) next year would be much harder. Taking two gap years looks bad on a resume, so I'm really concerned about this.

What should I do?
Reply 1
If you are not 100% committed to a topic then don't bother with it. You already see it as a waste of time and money. Only do something when doubt has been removed.

I really wouldn't bother with a gap year. Yes you will be missing out on all the fun activities students can do in the first year but the primary purpose of university is education.

If you can get a job in the current climate then it is an option... Working a poor paying job could potentially act as a motivator for you to go to university - it did for me.
Original post by integrityoflife
I have no idea what to do. I have an offer from a university that I like for an English degree, but I'm not sure whether I not I want to do an English degree and £27,000 is a lot of money to waste on a degree that you don't want to do.

I have considered trying to do law via clearing (I have some law experience + have read some books/done some courses on the subject) but I'm not 100% sure whether or not I want to do that either.

So if this was any other year, I would have done a gap year and reapplied.

I have some ideas for a gap year...
-Getting a job
-Applying for the Citizens Advice Bureau
-Going to court + trying to secure law experience
-Traveling

However, obviously, Covid-19 will likely get in the way of all of these things.

Furthermore, with the number of people I know who are differing, getting into university (especially for law) next year would be much harder. Taking two gap years looks bad on a resume, so I'm really concerned about this.

What should I do?

Taking two gap years doesn't look bad on your CV, provided you use them productively, and honestly by the time you are a few years past graduation, no-one will care. If you start a degree this year, and then drop out, it's very likely you'd end up 1-2 years behind anyway, having wasted your "spare" student finance year.

I do agree that a gap year this year may be tricky, but I agree that £27, 000 is a lot of money to spend on a degree you're unsure about. And it's not just £27, 000, it's your living expenses too.

I really wouldn't recommend starting a degree you're unsure about, but it may be worth having a look at clearing and see what's available?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending