The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vvvindecisive
TL;DR: Struggling with IGCSE Organic Chem content. Probably won’t need Chem A Level for my prospective degree choices, but parents want me to keep my options open. Must maintain merit scholarship. Take Chem A Level? Take only AS? How much Ochem is there at A or AS Level?

Hi everyone! First question I’m posting on TSR so I don’t know if there’s a specific format (: Anyway, here goes. I’m going to start Year 12 next month in a new school (same country in Asia but a different state). I’m worried about the Organic Chem content in CAIE A Level Chemistry and whether I should even take Chem.

For my IGCSEs, I’m predicted 9A*1A1B. I’ve already gotten one of the A*s last year since I took Math a year early. The B is for Additional Mathematics.

I’ve currently settled on Bio, Chem, Math, Socio, and the EPQ for my A-Levels. However, I’m freaking out because although I’ve consistently scored A*s in Chem, none of these exams involved Organic Chem. I absolutely SUCK at Ochem; we haven’t covered a lot of the topics at IGCSE level, and I was horrendous at the topics that we had covered. We had a mini-test which had a couple questions involving Ochem and I left every single one of those blank.

In terms of university plans, I’m still not 100% sure as to what I want to do. I’ve had phases where I wanted to do Architecture/Immunology, but those are gone. One thing that I’ve always maintained is an interest in pursuing Politics, and I’m strongly considering doing a degree in Politics and Journalism. This would hopefully be in the US, but I’m open to the UK too.

I only told my parents about this recently because:
a) they’re obsessed with STEM, Medicine, etc. (the usual lol)
b) it’s insanely difficult to get a job in these fields and I kinda always hoped that I would magically fall in love with tech or medicine or something ahaha

Hence, they think that this is a passing phase too. Frankly, I don’t think it is because I’m genuinely interested in these fields (I’m currently doing 4 political internships and 1 journalism internship voluntarily). The only thing holding me back from fully settling on this degree path is the issue concerning job prospects/pay, especially with the current economy.

My parents think that I should stick with taking Chemistry to keep my options open, and I agree that it’s a smart idea. However, I know my capabilities and my capacity and I honestly don’t think I can cope with the Ochem content.

On top of all that, I’m also attending Sixth Form on a merit scholarship. The new school is meant to be fantastic - but it’s also insanely expensive. I’m worried I’m going to mess up the Chem exams and my grades will drop, and this may mean that they’ll revoke the scholarship and ask my parents to pay the fees back. This would be a disaster - the school fees are 2.5x my old school’s.

If I don’t take Chem, I’ll be taking History. I’ve done extremely well at History for my IGCSEs because I liked it. For perspective: my teacher was expecting me to get a Top in the World, not just an A* (the expectations for me are insane in case you missed it 😭).

My questions are:
1) How much organic chem is in the AS/A Level exam papers?
2) Is it worth doing Chem at just AS Level? How much Ochem is there in AS Level exams alone?
3) What do you think I should do? Drop Chem? Take it at AS Level only? Any other ideas?

I can of course take Chem for a few weeks then swap for History if need be. I’m not too keen on this though since I’d rather decide before school starts and stick with the subject. (Students at my new school have a reputation for being unwelcoming to new students, so I’d like to try and make friends early on. This could of course just be a misrepresentation though.)

Thank you so much and I’m very sorry you had to read this psychotically long essay. Congrats if you made it till the end! I’d really appreciate it if y’all could answer this ASAP because I don’t want to inconvenience the school. Thank you again!

Hello! I do CAIE and if you are struggling with IGCSE CIE organics I would STRONGLY suggest not doing A Level Chem! I found organics easy at IGCSE and I struggle with it now. Not to be pessimistic, I'm sure you'd do well if you put the effort in, but don't jeopardise other subjects just so you can do Chem. As someone who is going on to study pure chem at uni, I realised I understand it better than most because of the impending doom of having to do it at uni, but if you are not going to do a career where chem is necessary I would advise against it :smile: Best of luck in your A Levels though!
Original post by vvvindecisive
TL;DR: Struggling with IGCSE Organic Chem content. Probably won’t need Chem A Level for my prospective degree choices, but parents want me to keep my options open. Must maintain merit scholarship. Take Chem A Level? Take only AS? How much Ochem is there at A or AS Level?

Hi everyone! First question I’m posting on TSR so I don’t know if there’s a specific format (: Anyway, here goes. I’m going to start Year 12 next month in a new school (same country in Asia but a different state). I’m worried about the Organic Chem content in CAIE A Level Chemistry and whether I should even take Chem.

For my IGCSEs, I’m predicted 9A*1A1B. I’ve already gotten one of the A*s last year since I took Math a year early. The B is for Additional Mathematics.

I’ve currently settled on Bio, Chem, Math, Socio, and the EPQ for my A-Levels. However, I’m freaking out because although I’ve consistently scored A*s in Chem, none of these exams involved Organic Chem. I absolutely SUCK at Ochem; we haven’t covered a lot of the topics at IGCSE level, and I was horrendous at the topics that we had covered. We had a mini-test which had a couple questions involving Ochem and I left every single one of those blank.

In terms of university plans, I’m still not 100% sure as to what I want to do. I’ve had phases where I wanted to do Architecture/Immunology, but those are gone. One thing that I’ve always maintained is an interest in pursuing Politics, and I’m strongly considering doing a degree in Politics and Journalism. This would hopefully be in the US, but I’m open to the UK too.

I only told my parents about this recently because:
a) they’re obsessed with STEM, Medicine, etc. (the usual lol)
b) it’s insanely difficult to get a job in these fields and I kinda always hoped that I would magically fall in love with tech or medicine or something ahaha

Hence, they think that this is a passing phase too. Frankly, I don’t think it is because I’m genuinely interested in these fields (I’m currently doing 4 political internships and 1 journalism internship voluntarily). The only thing holding me back from fully settling on this degree path is the issue concerning job prospects/pay, especially with the current economy.

My parents think that I should stick with taking Chemistry to keep my options open, and I agree that it’s a smart idea. However, I know my capabilities and my capacity and I honestly don’t think I can cope with the Ochem content.

On top of all that, I’m also attending Sixth Form on a merit scholarship. The new school is meant to be fantastic - but it’s also insanely expensive. I’m worried I’m going to mess up the Chem exams and my grades will drop, and this may mean that they’ll revoke the scholarship and ask my parents to pay the fees back. This would be a disaster - the school fees are 2.5x my old school’s.

If I don’t take Chem, I’ll be taking History. I’ve done extremely well at History for my IGCSEs because I liked it. For perspective: my teacher was expecting me to get a Top in the World, not just an A* (the expectations for me are insane in case you missed it 😭).

My questions are:
1) How much organic chem is in the AS/A Level exam papers?
2) Is it worth doing Chem at just AS Level? How much Ochem is there in AS Level exams alone?
3) What do you think I should do? Drop Chem? Take it at AS Level only? Any other ideas?

I can of course take Chem for a few weeks then swap for History if need be. I’m not too keen on this though since I’d rather decide before school starts and stick with the subject. (Students at my new school have a reputation for being unwelcoming to new students, so I’d like to try and make friends early on. This could of course just be a misrepresentation though.)

Thank you so much and I’m very sorry you had to read this psychotically long essay. Congrats if you made it till the end! I’d really appreciate it if y’all could answer this ASAP because I don’t want to inconvenience the school. Thank you againI

I'm in year 12 and chemistry is no joke even in first year and shouldn't be taken lightly but if you are willing to take the opportunity and actually work hard it is easy. There are many opportunities in chemistry. It is a extremely big jump from gcse.

Latest