Want more information about this university?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Because of the coronavirus situation (I’ve been told I’ll only be in 3ish hours a week!) I figured there’d be no point in paying for accommodation, I’m a mature student so the whole social aspect doesn’t appeal to me anyway. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences (preferably positive!) commuting to Lancaster? The train is expensive even with a rail card but I’ll still save money so that’s one plus, but I’m not sure if travelling 1.5 hours each way will drive me crazy or not, haha!
Catherine1973
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Where from to?
I think if it was 90 mins on a train that is likely to be uncrowded and you can get a seat, that would be okay. Get a lot of reading done that way.
But add on getting to and from station and being early to grab coffeee/wee on campus and travel may be much longer.
I’d probably play it by ear, do it until say reading week and see how it works out. I sssume you probably would go for private accommodation anyway so don’t need to have it at start of term.
(Also mature student, I get very little done on my commute as via London tunes but I have own flat so didn’t consider not commuting-i leave 10.30ish for 12pm lectures but tubes much more often than train’s)
Lancaster Student Ambassador
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Because of the coronavirus situation (I’ve been told I’ll only be in 3ish hours a week!) I figured there’d be no point in paying for accommodation, I’m a mature student so the whole social aspect doesn’t appeal to me anyway. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences (preferably positive!) commuting to Lancaster? The train is expensive even with a rail card but I’ll still save money so that’s one plus, but I’m not sure if travelling 1.5 hours each way will drive me crazy or not, haha!
Hi anon,
I'm not a commuter but I'm happy to find out any information you might need!
I was just wondering if you'd factored in travelling from the train station to campus - this will take around 15 minutes provided that the buses are running a normal service - but you'll have to factor in paying for the bus. You'll be able to pay for a student bus pass but if you're not going in frequently, buying a return might be the best option.
You might also be doing things like group projects (depending on your course) so you may have to meet up with students or staff members outside of teaching hours as well.
I used to commute 1.5 hours to sixth form on the bus and I just used to read a lot - on the train you might be able to get a fair bit of work done.
Just want to add that we don't have a reading week!
Let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with.
Charlotte
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (173)
38.19%
Take autumn exams (141)
31.13%
Look for a job (16)
3.53%
Consider an apprenticeship (20)
4.42%
Take a year out (76)
16.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (27)
5.96%

Watched Threads