Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    According to the UoS website and the welcome pack I have to attend a "University Health Interview" during intro week and before attending the health interview I have to fill in form GMS1 or the online registration.

As far as I can gather both GMS1 and the online registration force me to change registration from my current GP's surgery to the one at the UoS.

I don't want to (in fact; I point blank refuse to) move GP's surgery from my current doctors to the UoS. Not only am I very happy with my current GP but I live less than 5 minutes from the surgery (which is also in Sheffield), my children and partner are registered with the same doctor, I've been registered for several years at this surgery and when I did join my current GP I had to join a waiting list before I (we) was accepted!

So what gives? Can you attend the health interview without filling in "GSM1 or the on-line registration"? (the pack and the website make it sound like it is a requirement!) Do I even need to attend to the interview? Surely they must make exceptions for people who already live in Sheffield (and therefore don't require a change of GP)? Can someone fill me in please.

ReputationRep:
    I believe people who live in Sheffield have the option of switching to the University Heath Service or staying with their own. I'd point out that you get seen far more quickly at the University than at any GP surgery I've ever seen. Also, you're entitled to see any NHS doctor no matter where you're registered.

ReputationRep:
    hi - i've just finished my first year at sheffield and live very close by.

when i started last year i just didn't fill in the form because i wanted to keep my own doctor.

my appointment for the health interview was scheduled just after my registration time and they were held in the same building - after i had registered i just went over to the people who were overseeing the interiews and explained i was keeping my own doctor and they just said i didn't have to attend a health interview. It had worried my before hand but on the day things were really simple and it was not a problem at all.. My advice would be just don't fill in the form, pop across to where the interviews are held on the day, explain you want to keep your doctor and i'm sure everything will be fine as it was for me

hope this helps
    good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    I had this problem too. I'm just refusing to complete the form, but I'm intending to turn up to the interview to explain this. Frankly I'm extremely unhappy that they're asking you to fill in a health disclosure form at all, it's extremely intrusive and it certainly wasn't required by my undergraduate university.

(I'm also living at home, but for me home is about 80 miles away, so there is no way in hell I'm switching to a Sheffield GP regardless of how good they are...)
    Yeah it is a bit. I can't remember exactly what they asked, but I'm pretty sure it involved things that I couldn't see why they needed to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Yeah it is a bit. I can't remember exactly what they asked, but I'm pretty sure it involved things that I couldn't see why they needed to know.
    Aye - in one sense I appreciate them wanting to know in advance about health problems, but I'd be perfectly happy to inform them of the things I know are likely to affect my study. I don't see how my last smear test result is likely to have any impact on my likelihood to turn up to lectures...:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it they really aren't strict with it. My experience of the uni health service has been superb. I've got and had plenty of health problems recently and they've been superb down there. Appointments near on straight away and they've in all honesty given me the best service any doctors surgery I've used has given.

ReputationRep:
    Aye - in one sense I appreciate them wanting to know in advance about health problems, but I'd be perfectly happy to inform them of the things I know are likely to affect my study. I don't see how my last smear test result is likely to have any impact on my likelihood to turn up to lectures...:mad:
    I doubt the academic department will see any of it, though it might've been useful for my department to know that when i get blood taken i normally pass out and can't go back to lectures for a few hours... If you're not registering for the health service, you might not have to tell them anything.

As far as i remember, the only health interview i attended the year before last was to confirm my details they had to register me with the health service were correct, and was done as part of the main registration day.

I'm not sure why they ask so many questions since things are all listed on the big database and accessed from everywhere. Filling in details in that thing for a week was the most boring job i've ever done. I thought this thread might be about being interved for a job doing that so i was going to pass on my warnings :p:

I think the health service is very good too, especially with the short waiting times and online booking. It's just so handy being able to see the free slots for every doctor all on one screen.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your comments, it's cleared things up for me.

Even though some of you recommend the UoS health service I'd still rather stick with my current GP, more out of convenience than anything else. I shall follow the advice above and not return the form but attend the health interview. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subterfuge)
    I doubt the academic department will see any of it, though it might've been useful for my department to know that when i get blood taken i normally pass out and can't go back to lectures for a few hours...
    Yeah but I'm sure you know how impossibly difficult it is to actually get special dispensation because of illness. The amount of crap I had to go through last year just for it to be accepted that I missed a few seminars because of flu was unbelievable.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I'm sure you know how impossibly difficult it is to actually get special dispensation because of illness. The amount of crap I had to go through last year just for it to be accepted that I missed a few seminars because of flu was unbelievable.
    My department were actually really nice about me being ill, although it was taking time off to go to hospital appointments rather than being too ill to attend. I even got an NA result returned for modules i failed, so i can retake without the 40% cap.
    I would imagine it'd be a lot harder to get time off authorised without having dated hospital/doctors letters (or if you did, then your department sound much meaner than mine!)

Thank you all for your comments, it's cleared things up for me.

Even though some of you recommend the UoS health service I'd still rather stick with my current GP, more out of convenience than anything else. I shall follow the advice above and not return the form but attend the health interview. Thanks again.
    I can definitely see why, it'll be less hassle.
    I was just pleasantly suprised by how much better i like this surgery than my old one. Shame i've not been able to find a dentist though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by subterfuge)
    My department were actually really nice about me being ill, although it was taking time off to go to hospital appointments rather than being too ill to attend. I even got an NA result returned for modules i failed, so i can retake without the 40% cap.
    I would imagine it'd be a lot harder to get time off authorised without having dated hospital/doctors letters (or if you did, then your department sound much meaner than mine!)
    Ah well I didn't fail any modules so it wasn't quite so serious. The problem was that I'd failed to meet the minimum attendance criteria and so in theory they could have reported me to faculty. The problem is that by the time you realise that a few incidental illnesses have added up to enough that it's a serious problem that requires doctors notes, it's too late to get those notes. I was fortunate to get a young doctor who'd only recently graduated himself who agreed with how absurd the situation was, and he wrote me a note saying that my illness could be backdated, and fortunately the department accepted that. Don't think it would have been quite the same if I'd been a final year student, though.

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting to know. Was it history or politics that kicked up the fuss?

ReputationRep:
    Only thing I done at this 'health interview' was to obtain a new NHS number as the one I had was apparently horribly out of date. It didnt involve any medical questions or examinations.

ReputationRep:
    What's the verdict if your current doctor (and home) is not in Sheffield?

I would like to stay registered with my doctor at home as I have always seem her since I was very young. Also, if I change my doctor to one in Sheffield then what to do I do in the holidays when I will be living back home?

Can you not register with the university health service and remain registered with your doctor at home?

Does filling out the university health service form online register them as your new GP surgery AND de-register you from your old GP or do you remain on both?

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting to know. Was it history or politics that kicked up the fuss?
    Politics. History would take a couple of years to notice if I died, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Politics. History would take a couple of years to notice if I died, I think.
    Interesting to know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeck)
    What's the verdict if your current doctor (and home) is not in Sheffield?

I would like to stay registered with my doctor at home as I have always seem her since I was very young. Also, if I change my doctor to one in Sheffield then what to do I do in the holidays when I will be living back home?

Can you not register with the university health service and remain registered with your doctor at home?

Does filling out the university health service form online register them as your new GP surgery AND de-register you from your old GP or do you remain on both?
    In your situation, your best bet is to register in Sheffield, which does de-register you at home, but when you go back for holidays etc, you just need to fill in a form at your usual surgery and you'll be able to see your regular doctor as normal.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I should do, but I simply just go in and see my doctor at home no problems as I did after my surgery in the summer and it was fine.

ReputationRep:
    In your situation, your best bet is to register in Sheffield, which does de-register you at home, but when you go back for holidays etc, you just need to fill in a form at your usual surgery and you'll be able to see your regular doctor as normal.
    ok, thanks

ReputationRep:
    If you register at Uni, and are de-registered at home can it cause any problems.
    For example I'm waiting for surgery, and my Consultant needs to stay in constant contact with my GP.
    If I am deregistered from the practice and he has to contact people in Sheffield who know nothing about my health this could be an extremely big problem.
    The thing is, if I don't register can I still see people at the Health Service place?
    I often am ill and will probably need to see a doctor quite frequently.

Also I've already filled in the form. Is this going to be a problem?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 1, 2008
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.