Theartisdead
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’m starting college next september, I chose English lit & lang, History, Graphic Communication, and Fine art.

I really need help with preparation, my school didn’t teach me how to revise because Covid hit before they got the chance to.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should use my summer break to prepare.
TabithaFord99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Theartisdead)
I’m starting college next september, I chose English lit & lang, History, Graphic Communication, and Fine art.

I really need help with preparation, my school didn’t teach me how to revise because Covid hit before they got the chance to.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I should use my summer break to prepare.
I can help with the English Literature.

First of all, congrats on going to college. Exciting times. My A level year was probably one of the happiest in my life, so try and make the most of it - even in the middle of these strange times.

I'd contact the college and ask for a reading list. The best work you can do for English Literature is to (a) read the set texts (b) read criticism on those set texts (c) read around the texts - by which I mean, read other works by the same author, or read texts from the same period by different authors.

Item (c) is particularly relevant if you apply to study English Literature at university. In your interviews you will be asked "what, apart from your A level texts have you been reading?" Reading in general will help you, as long as you are reading good literature. If you are confused as to what constitutes "good literature" - Blackwell's bookshop is a good resource. Blackwell's Oxford and Edinburgh both have lists of the core texts first year undergraduates read at these universities, so you can easily pick from those lists and be sure you are reading good works.

I hope this helps for now. Best of luck with your studies, I'm sure you will do well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (85)
26.15%
England (109)
33.54%
Belgium (27)
8.31%
Germany (38)
11.69%
Spain (6)
1.85%