its.justjoyce
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to go into marketing, finance or accounting when I am older, but I'm not sure on which combination of subjects to choose. I would ideally like to be a business executive later on in life. I originally chose Sociology, Politics, Economics and Maths. I thought this was alright because I studied Business and Psychology for GCSE. Now I'm not sure whether I should expand my skills in Economics or continue with Business.
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What specific degree are you thinking of doing (or post-A-level route)? None of the careers you’ve mentioned are especially ‘vocational’ other than accounting, but even then I think you can do that even without doing an accountancy degree (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...-an-accountant) - I would have a look at the qualifications required for the courses you might want to do and make sure your choices will meet any requirements and keep doors open.

Otherwise, pick the subject you most want to do as you’ll do best in it! You can always ask your school if you could speak to the teachers running Econ and Business, take both for a week to see which you prefer, and look at the syllabi and exams online, to help you make a decision
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Maths, Economics, Politics and Sociology is the more respected combination of subjects and Business Studies isn't considered a traditional subject and blacklisted by many top universities and firms too but if you achieve A*/A grades it would make you enter Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QMUL, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Exeter, Sheffield and Glasgow or Edinburgh.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by thegeek888)
Maths, Economics, Politics and Sociology is the more respected combination of subjects and Business Studies isn't considered a traditional subject and blacklisted by many top universities and firms too but if you achieve A*/A grades it would make you enter Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, KCL, SOAS, QMUL, Durham, Bristol, Manchester, York, Newcastle, Exeter, Sheffield and Glasgow or Edinburgh.
...this isn’t correct. No A level subject other than General Studies and the like isn’t accepted by universities, and as long as you have required subjects for a degree, you can take any other subject to meet the requirements. Facilitating subjects aren’t a thing any more.

Also, how can you know what unis OP would be able to get into without knowing what course they want to study?
thegeek888
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
...this isn’t correct. No A level subject other than General Studies and the like

isn’t accepted by universities, and as long as you have required subjects for a degree, you can take any other subject to meet the requirements. Facilitating subjects aren’t a thing any more.

Also, how can you know what unis OP would be able to get into without knowing what course they want to study?
Accounting is something they want to study and for that Economics would be preferred over Business Studies:

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...-combinations/

http://repec.ioe.ac.uk/REPEc/pdf/qsswp1512.pdf
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Accounting is something they want to study and for that Economics would be preferred over Business Studies:

https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...-combinations/

http://repec.ioe.ac.uk/REPEc/pdf/qsswp1512.pdf
Cambridge doesn’t even offer an accounting undergrad degree. Trinity has basically the most stringent entry requirements of any college, which it sets itself, so even if OP decides they want to study at Cambridge, they probably could at another college.

The other document you mention is from 2015, prior to A level reforms and Russell Group unis ditching ‘facilitating subjects’ (https://www.google.com/amp/s/schools...evel-list/amp/, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tes...subjects%3famp) - the new informed choices website says of accounting “There are usually no essential subjects, but this subject (Maths) could be useful”, and some unis, like Durham which you cited earlier, have no required subjects for Accounting and Finance (and AAB required grades - https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...n43#admissions)
thegeek888
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Cambridge doesn’t even offer an accounting undergrad degree. Trinity has basically the most stringent entry requirements of any college, which it sets itself, so even if OP decides they want to study at Cambridge, they probably could at another college.

The other document you mention is from 2015, prior to A level reforms and Russell Group unis ditching ‘facilitating subjects’ (https://www.google.com/amp/s/schools...evel-list/amp/, https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tes...subjects%3famp) - the new informed choices website says of accounting “There are usually no essential subjects, but this subject (Maths) could be useful”, and some unis, like Durham which you cited earlier, have no required subjects for Accounting and Finance (and AAB required grades - https://www.dur.ac.uk/courses/info/?...n43#admissions)
Firstly, the closest course to Accounting at Cambridge is their offer of a Management tripos, which is in the 3rd year.

Secondly, Maths is essential for Accounting and Economics not Business Studies is advantageous. Because there are Economics modules in the Accounting degree.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Firstly, the closest course to Accounting at Cambridge is their offer of a Management tripos, which is in the 3rd year.

Secondly, Maths is essential for Accounting and Economics not Business Studies is advantageous. Because there are Economics modules in the Accounting degree.
Not sure how the Management tripos is relevant, as you mentioned accounting. This comes back to my previous point about it being very hard to advise OP without knowing what degree course they’re actually aiming for.

Maths is not essential for accounting as some degrees do not require maths A level (ie Durham course above) Some do, so it is useful. Equally, Economics may well be helpful (although I’m sure you could make the case for Business too), but it’s not required and you won’t be penalised for not taking it, or taking Business instead.
its.justjoyce
Rep:
?
What specific degree are you thinking of doing (or post-A-level route)? None of the careers you’ve mentioned are especially ‘vocational’ other than accounting, but even then I think you can do that even without doing an accountancy degree (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...-an-accountant) - I would have a look at the qualifications required for the courses you might want to do and make sure your choices will meet any requirements and keep doors open.

Otherwise, pick the subject you most want to do as you’ll do best in it! You can always ask your school if you could speak to the teachers running Econ and Business, take both for a week to see which you prefer, and look at the syllabi and exams online, to help you make a decision
I plan on going to uni and doing a marketing and management degree. It has no specific A-Level subject requirements so long as you achieve at least AAB at the end of year 13. To get in, you need majority 6s or above at GCSE level with English Language and Maths at grade 6 or above. They also said on their website that they'll accept students with ABB who are studied from their list of preferred subjects with majority 7s or above in their GCSEs and 6s or above GCSE Maths and English Language.All the original subjects I chose are part of their list of preferred subjects. I do plan on dropping Politics at the end of year 12, so I think all the doors are open in terms of GCSE grades and my choice of A Level subjects.

I might be wrong, but business has always been seen as the easier of the two, so I wanted to pick that because I am doing A- Level Maths which is notoriously difficult. My school didn't have sociology, economics or politics as options when I picked my GCSE subjects so it's hard to compare economics and business fairly. I do believe I'll enjoy business more though. But I've heard that some unis blacklist business as an A-Level subject which worries me, there's no guarantee I'll get in to my ideal uni. As for my school, they are very strict about staying in the subject you chose. I do have a chance to change my mind on results day, but I'll definitely take the time to look at the spec

Thank you!
its.justjoyce
Rep:
?
Exactly, this was what I was scared of when I thought of changing Economics to Business. Business has a stronger link to what I want to do when I am older than Economics. But I have studied business at GCSE level already. The uni I want to go to has Business on it's preferred list of subjects but I wouldn't want to have limited options if I do not get in to my ideal uni. And do you mean I could enter Oxbridge etc etc with Business as an A-Level or Economics?
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
:facepalm:
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by its.justjoyce)
Exactly, this was what I was scared of when I thought of changing Economics to Business. Business has a stronger link to what I want to do when I am older than Economics. But I have studied business at GCSE level already. The uni I want to go to has Business on it's preferred list of subjects but I wouldn't want to have limited options if I do not get in to my ideal uni. And do you mean I could enter Oxbridge etc etc with Business as an A-Level or Economics?
Please don't feed the troll. They have absolutely no idea what they're talking about.

Just do the 3 subjects that you enjoy the most / will get the best grades in. By doing that, you'll be able to go to literally any university (assuming you meet any requirements like A level Maths for a Maths degree). Universities really don't care what's respected or traditional - they just want you to a) meet their grades b) meet any subject requirements for your chosen degree. That's it. They'll also completely ignore any 4th subject; they won't consider it impressive.
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by its.justjoyce)
I plan on going to uni and doing a marketing and management degree. It has no specific A-Level subject requirements so long as you achieve at least AAB at the end of year 13. To get in, you need majority 6s or above at GCSE level with English Language and Maths at grade 6 or above. They also said on their website that they'll accept students with ABB who are studied from their list of preferred subjects with majority 7s or above in their GCSEs and 6s or above GCSE Maths and English Language.All the original subjects I chose are part of their list of preferred subjects. I do plan on dropping Politics at the end of year 12, so I think all the doors are open in terms of GCSE grades and my choice of A Level subjects.

I might be wrong, but business has always been seen as the easier of the two, so I wanted to pick that because I am doing A- Level Maths which is notoriously difficult. My school didn't have sociology, economics or politics as options when I picked my GCSE subjects so it's hard to compare economics and business fairly. I do believe I'll enjoy business more though. But I've heard that some unis blacklist business as an A-Level subject which worries me, there's no guarantee I'll get in to my ideal uni. As for my school, they are very strict about staying in the subject you chose. I do have a chance to change my mind on results day, but I'll definitely take the time to look at the spec

Thank you!
It sounds like you’re completely on top of this and have done your research, so no need to worry. If you keep doing it, you’ll realise any fears about business being ‘blacklisted’ are nonsense, too Find me any current proof of this that isn’t just Trinity Cambridge!

Business is a good pick, especially if you enjoyed it at GCSE. If you think you’ll enjoy it more, do it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
58.21%
I don't have everything I need (140)
41.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise