The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
i know that someone from my school got into newcastle with biology, chemistry, spanish and ICT. different universities have different requirements though, and so the best option would be to check out prospectuses and/or email admissions tutors.
Reply 161
biology, chemistry and maths are absolutely perfect for A Level! i don't know why you're so worried...most of the applicants will have 3 A levels anyway, because that's the standard offer. as somebody else said, it's much better to have 3 As than have 2 As and 2 Bs and miss the AAAC offer, right?
I have chosen to do AS Biology, CHemistry, Maths and Physics, and have to do General Studies, but this seems to be a really common combination. Do you think I should drop one of these subjects, and take a more essay based subject such as History, which would give me a better balance of sciences and essay subjects, as well as enjoying it?
definite_maybe
I have chosen to do AS Biology, CHemistry, Maths and Physics, and have to do General Studies, but this seems to be a really common combination. Do you think I should drop one of these subjects, and take a more essay based subject such as History, which would give me a better balance of sciences and essay subjects, as well as enjoying it?

If you think you would enjoy doing an essay subject more then by all means, go for it! UCL also prefers one non sciencey subject at AS Level, so if youre thinking of applying there then I think it would be beneficial if you change.
Reply 164
A2: Chemistry; Biology; English Literature
As: Religious Studies

??? Not sure if having only two sciences will put me at a disadvantage.
p.s - I'm Not looking to apply to Oxbridge.
Yes they're fine, there's absolutely no need to take more than chem + another science
I think medical schools like it if you have chem and another science (although not necissary, mind you, some only require either biology or chemistry...), Im only going on what a friend doing medicine has spoken to another friend of mine about, and thats that alot of the medical schools like those two sciences with a non science subject to show your a nice, good, well rounded person :smile:
Reply 167
They're fine! Some would argue that the 3 A2s are the best combo that you can do for medicine.
Reply 168
v1oXx-
They're fine! Some would argue that the 3 A2s are the best combo that you can do for medicine.

really, what chem bio and english lit? :smile:
Seems like a nice solid choice, make sure you do well in all 3 though

Especially good if you want to go into something like medical journalism
No, any 2 sci + non science.
They're more than fine :smile:
Reply 172
No further maths? You won't be able to get very far as a doctor...

Seriousyl, they seem fine - in fact, chem, bio, lit are the best choices in my opinion
Jinxy
really, what chem bio and english lit? :smile:

Yes, because chemistry is the essential A level, and of course biology is a huge bonus for medicine.

It can be argued that if you're good at chemistry and biology, then you'll also be good at maths or physics, as they're sciences. Having English literature shows that you have talents outside of science, and not to mention that literature is one of the most respected A levels!

I think your AS in religious studies also puts you at an advantage. You probably know about a wide range of cultures (I'm guessing, I don't know the course content), and being a people person is of course essential! That's actually the reason I'm not going for medicine - I'm awful with people.
Reply 174
DeanK2
No further maths? You won't be able to get very far as a doctor...

sorry, that's a load of rubbish. If further maths or maths was essential then it would be a requirement of every course in medicine and it isn't. only biology and chemistry is.
He's joking lol
Reply 176
the666thmessiah
He's joking lol

oh right, well then erm ok :biggrin:
Reply 177
I live in Scotland, and generally we don't do A-levels, but we do Advanced Highers instead. They're more difficult though, so you only need to get AAB/ABB for English Unis for your AHs, as opposed to AAA at A-level.

I'm doing:
Advanced Higher Chemistry
Advanced Higher Mathematics
Advanced Higher Music
Advanced Higher Physics

S'funny how I've not got biology >D
I know it's not a science, but do med schools generally dislike an A-Level in psychology?
I'm thinking of applying to Birmingham as one of my choices, but I do Psychology. I've heard something about them not liking Psychology, is this correct? If so, I think I'll just scrap that idea!

Latest

Trending

Trending