🥺personal statement advice anyone?

Watch
shangie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Dear TSR pals,

Hi, I'm planning to start my personal statement however I'm stuck procrastinating.I am honestly lost at the moment.I consider myself as lacking as I do not possess any extra curriculars such as NCS or Duke of edinburgh to wow the unis,most specially I do not have any working experience to mention.
An introvert as I am, I haven't been actively pursuing such things which is why I felt hopeless whilst looking at the blank sheet on the word document.Without all these accessories beside the academic grades I would get ,how can I persuade the universities to choose me as the candidate out of everybody else?
How can I create a personality out of my statement to get their attention?
(im thinking of going to UCL or Sheffield)
To all my seniors out there who survived their A-levels and this mind boggling psychology of personal statements, I need your help.
Pretty please with 🍒 on top🥺✌

Sincerely,
A desperate student in need of genuine guidance
FoRtHeLoVeOfGoD
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
what subject is this for?
shangie
Rep:
?
(Original post by FoRtHeLoVeOfGoD)
what subject is this for?
Architecture course🥺
neko no basu
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by shangie)
Dear TSR pals,

Hi, I'm planning to start my personal statement however I'm stuck procrastinating.I am honestly lost at the moment.I consider myself as lacking as I do not possess any extra curriculars such as NCS or Duke of edinburgh to wow the unis,most specially I do not have any working experience to mention.
An introvert as I am, I haven't been actively pursuing such things which is why I felt hopeless whilst looking at the blank sheet on the word document.Without all these accessories beside the academic grades I would get ,how can I persuade the universities to choose me as the candidate out of everybody else?
To all my seniors out there who survived their A-levels and this mind boggling psychology of personal statements, I need your help.

Sincerely,
Hi 👋

First of all, you've got ages until you have to hand in your personal statement (if you're not an early applicant, even if you are an early applicant you've still got until October and that's still a decent amount of time) so don't worry.

Work experience isn't that important, unless you're going for something like medicine or dentistry.

I was one of the few people in my year who didn't do NCS or DofE and at the time, I thought that this would be a massive disadvantage. Your ps should be around 75% and 25% extra curricular, I think my extra curricular stuff was about 2-3 sentences, I wrote about some work experience at a local school and playing a music instrument, nothing much.

Starting your intro to your PS is probably the hardest part tbh so maybe save that till last. Have you tried reading any personal statements on TSR?
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Architecture course🥺
How about having a go at some free online courses on Future Learn or Coursera that are related to architecture (even if loosely) - you could talk about these in your personal statement.

Also, you could perhaps borrow a book from the Library or buy an interesting book on architecture which you can discuss.

Things like this can demonstrate to the admissions team that you’ve read around the subject and are passionate about architecture
shangie
Rep:
?
(Original post by neko no basu)
Hi 👋

First of all, you've got ages until you have to hand in your personal statement (if you're not an early applicant, even if you are an early applicant you've still got until October and that's still a decent amount of time) so don't worry.

Work experience isn't that important, unless you're going for something like medicine or dentistry.

I was one of the few people in my year who didn't do NCS or DofE and at the time, I thought that this would be a massive disadvantage. Your ps should be around 75% and 25% extra curricular, I think my extra curricular stuff was about 2-3 sentences, I wrote about some work experience at a local school and playing a music instrument, nothing much.

Starting your intro to your PS is probably the hardest part tbh so maybe save that till last. Have you tried reading any personal statements on TSR?
Thank you for the response.
Im just feeling the pressure now as most of my friends got plenty of things to brag about in their personal statement but for the record I do have curriculars way back in my country.Its just that sometimes discrimination do happen as the educational system in my country is considered inferior so I'm not sure if that would impress them.
Im a UK based student as of now,its only been 3 years since I began studying here which explains why Its hard for me to adapt and do things that would ensure me a place in unis in such competive course I've chosen-architecture.
I apologise for such long message but to answer your question, I haven't actually read some.
Perhaps you can give me a link or something so I could get on with it.😊
shangie
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
How about having a go at some free online courses on Future Learn or Coursera that are related to architecture (even if loosely) - you could talk about these in your personal statement.

Also, you could perhaps borrow a book from the Library or buy an interesting book on architecture which you can discuss.

Things like this can demonstrate to the admissions team that you’ve read around the subject and are passionate about architecture
Duly noted ✅
Thank you✌
FoRtHeLoVeOfGoD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi 👋

why you so smart
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by FoRtHeLoVeOfGoD)
why you so smart
was that sarcastic? I'm not smart, you are! 😊
neko no basu
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Im just feeling the pressure now as most of my friends got plenty of things to brag about in their personal statement but for the record I do have curriculars way back in my country.Its just that sometimes discrimination do happen as the educational system in my country is considered inferior so I'm not sure if that would impress them.
Im a UK based student as of now,its only been 3 years since I began studying here which explains why Its hard for me to adapt and do things that would ensure me a place in unis in such competive course I've chosen-architecture.
I apologise for such long message but to answer your question, I haven't actually read some.
I don't think there's any harm in you talking about things that you did back when you were living in your country. If anything, it might impress unis because it's something different

I don't know how to put in a link cos I'm using the app but if you google tsr personal statement architecture then it should come up with some stuff, I think 👍
shangie
Rep:
?
I don't think there's any harm in you talking about things that you did back when you were living in your country. If anything, it might impress unis because it's something different

I don't know how to put in a link cos I'm using the app but if you google tsr personal statement architecture then it should come up with some stuff, I think 👍
Duly noted ✅
Thank you✌
FoRtHeLoVeOfGoD
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
was that sarcastic? I'm not smart, you are! 😊
no that was not sarcastic! I'm not thaaaat mean
RandomOrganism
Badges: 5
Report 4 months ago
Hi,

As long as you're not applying to Oxbridge/ Medicine/ Vet Med, you've still got quite a while till the UCAS deadline in January (if you're applying this year), please don't panic.

With COVID-19 going on, it'll be very unlikely for you to find anymore extra curriculars for you to do in person. So the only solution to your unfinished personal statement would be to do stuff online.

MOOCs are amazing for you to get a taste of your subject, and these are also usually more engaging than plain reading. Try to get some MOOCs done, not too much, I would say 1 or 2 good ones that'll make you be able to sound like you know what you're talking about in your personal statement. Examples of MOOC websites are EdX, Future Learn.

Please also try to get a classic book about your subject read thoroughly for you to talk about in your personal statement. Do some research about the best books to read, and I would say pick one as books tend to take longer than MOOCs to finish.

Finally, just start by writing paragraphs of sections of your personal statement whenever you can. Perfect is the enemy of progress.

All the best.
RandomOrganism
Report 4 months ago
I forgot to add, try to get your alevels 'involved' in your personal statement if you can. By this I mean try to talk about how doing your Alevels developed your interest in your subject.
RandomOrganism
Report 4 months ago
If you're not comfortable specifying which country you did your extra curriculars in, then don't worry about naming your country. Be a bit more generic like I did this is Asian/Europe/etc in the year of whatever. What really matters is what you've learnt from your experience, and even better how does it relate to you wanting to study your subject at university.

Someone could say in their personal statement that they're climbed Mount Everest 10 times, but without saying what they got out of those experiences like resilience, that sentence would probably be seen as extremely empty by admissions tutors.
shangie
Rep:
?
(Original post by RandomOrganism)
If you're not comfortable specifying which country you did your extra curriculars in, then don't worry about naming your country. Be a bit more generic like I did this is Asian/Europe/etc in the year of whatever. What really matters is what you've learnt from your experience, and even better how does it relate to you wanting to study your subject at university.

Someone could say in their personal statement that they're climbed Mount Everest 10 times, but without saying what they got out of those experiences like resilience, that sentence would probably be seen as extremely empty by admissions tutors.
🤣😅thats true.
actually its Southeast asia.
shangie
Rep:
?
I forgot to add, try to get your alevels 'involved' in your personal statement if you can. By this I mean try to talk about how doing your Alevels developed your interest in your subject.
Okie✌
Duly noted ✅
shangie
Rep:
?
Hi,

As long as you're not applying to Oxbridge/ Medicine/ Vet Med, you've still got quite a while till the UCAS deadline in January (if you're applying this year), please don't panic.

With COVID-19 going on, it'll be very unlikely for you to find anymore extra curriculars for you to do in person. So the only solution to your unfinished personal statement would be to do stuff online.

MOOCs are amazing for you to get a taste of your subject, and these are also usually more engaging than plain reading. Try to get some MOOCs done, not too much, I would say 1 or 2 good ones that'll make you be able to sound like you know what you're talking about in your personal statement. Examples of MOOC websites are EdX, Future Learn.

Please also try to get a classic book about your subject read thoroughly for you to talk about in your personal statement. Do some research about the best books to read, and I would say pick one as books tend to take longer than MOOCs to finish.

Finally, just start by writing paragraphs of sections of your personal statement whenever you can. Perfect is the enemy of progress.

All the best.
Thank youuuuuuuuuuu so muchhh for the help✌
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Thank youuuuuuuuuuu so muchhh for the help✌
You don't need to talk about your A Levels at all. Why architecture? Have you read any books/done any online courses? What about any projects (formal ones or 'hobby' ones) related to architecture? You have time to get started on any of those
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Dear TSR pals,

Sincerely,
Hi shangie!

I'm a current student at the University of Sheffield, I totally relate to the position you are in and struggled for months to get started on my PS but don't stress you will get there! My advice would be starting of with a mindmap sort of plan for how you will structure your PS, for example having a specific topic area for each paragraph, I personally had 4 paragraphs. My opening paragraph focused on why I wanted to study the course, try and make this paragraph sound as passionate as you can about the course as a good opener. My second paragraph focused on work experience, I know you mentioned you didn't have any so this can be interchangable with extra work you have done such as a book you have read relating to the topic or you could focus on an aspect of the course (a module for example) that you are interested in and expand on it, this shows to admissions tutors you have really looked into the course. I then made my 3rd paragraph a bit more personal, the kind of paragraph where you would include DoE etc, I didn't do anything fancy like that either so focused on my job and any transferable skills I learnt from that, I would also talk about any roles of responsibility you have had at sixth form/college. For the last paragraph I focused on why I would be good for the course, kind of a conclusion really drawing it all together, I found this the hardest. This structure worked well for me, you may find altering the topics a bit easier for something more relatable to you. I recommend starting of by making a list of everything you want to include in the PS, so anything you've done, aspects about you and anything like that write it down and then it makes it much easier to separate into paragraphs. Can I ask what course you are wanting to apply to? that can impact what you want to include in the PS. Feel free to ask me any questions and good luck with your PS I'm sure it will be great !

Alisha
2nd Year
BMedSci Orthoptics
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
27%
No - I have already returned home (37)
12.33%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.33%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.33%

Watched Threads