The Student Room Group

My dad is controlling

I have just finished year 12 with the hope to apply for engineering at uni as I take maths furthermaths and physics which are my strong points and are what I enjoy. I have also done engineering work experience/programs with the hope of applying to oxbridge.

My dad is completely against this and says the finance/accounting route is a much better option (mainly for financial stability and job security)

He has forced me to write a finance personal statement with him as he doesn't understand why I want to study engineering he thinks I've made an impulse decision because I can't tell him a clear plan of what I want to do after I get an engineering degree.

At one point I thought I had convinced him that engineering was the right pathway for me and was a good career choice but he just comes into my room being very angry shouting what is wrong me and that I have to write a finance related personal statement and apply for those courses.

I don't know if he is right. I can't disobey him either as I live with only him. He doesn't listen to anything say and I don't know what to do.

I'm just tired. I feel trapped. Everyday I'm just fighting about what my plan is for the future.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by m.s124
I have just finished year 12 with the hope to apply for engineering at uni as I love the idea of working on projects and it combining maths and physics concepts to real life problems.

My dad is completely against this and says the finance/accounting route is a much better option (mainly for financial stability and career reassurance - I can't remember the right phrase)

He has convinced me to write a finance personal statement as he doesn't understand why I want to study engineering he thinks I'e made an impulse decision because I can't tell him a clear plan of what I want to do after I get an engineering degree.

At one point I thought I had convinced him that engineering was the right pathway for me and was a good career choice but he bursted into my room being very angry saying what is wrong me and that I have to write a finance related personal statement and apply for those courses.

I don't know if he is right. I can't disobey him either. I don't know enough about where engineering can take me to back myself up.

I'm just tired. Everyday I'm just fighting about what my plan is for the future. I just want to be happy.

I personally think engineering is better than accounting in terms of future prospects because engineering is pretty much a hands on job and is needed everywhere. As for accounting if you decide that you want to become an accountant after doing an engineering degree then it is always possible but not the other way round.
Reply 2
Original post by Luwei
I personally think engineering is better than accounting in terms of future prospects because engineering is pretty much a hands on job and is needed everywhere. As for accounting if you decide that you want to become an accountant after doing an engineering degree then it is always possible but not the other way round.

I agree... but how do I explain that to someone who shouts at me everytime I try to argue back. He says doing that will just waste my time and I'll regret taking an engineering degree as I will end up in finance anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by m.s124
I agree... but how do I explain that to someone who shouts at me everytime I try to argue back.

Talk to him peacefully; in a calm tone.
Reply 4
Original post by Luwei
Talk to him peacefully; in a calm tone.

You clearly are blessed with uncontrolling parents. He won't listen. But thank you
Original post by m.s124
I have just finished year 12 with the hope to apply for engineering at uni as I love the idea of working on projects and it combining maths and physics concepts to real life problems.

My dad is completely against this and says the finance/accounting route is a much better option (mainly for financial stability and career reassurance - I can't remember the right phrase)

He has convinced me to write a finance personal statement as he doesn't understand why I want to study engineering he thinks I'e made an impulse decision because I can't tell him a clear plan of what I want to do after I get an engineering degree.

At one point I thought I had convinced him that engineering was the right pathway for me and was a good career choice but he bursted into my room being very angry saying what is wrong me and that I have to write a finance related personal statement and apply for those courses.

I don't know if he is right. I can't disobey him either. I don't know enough about where engineering can take me to back myself up.

I'm just tired. Everyday I'm just fighting about what my plan is for the future. I just want to be happy.

what you do at uni is up to you. nobody else should have i say in it. if you wanna do engineering you go for it because you’ll do great. talk to your dad and be as honest as possible. tell him why you wanna do engineering, future careers and why you don’t want to do finance/accounting. if that doesn’t work write a finance personals statement to show your dad but then write an engineering one and send that off. if you need help with anything pm me. i hope someone can comment something that helps in some way. good luck with everything.
Original post by m.s124

The finance sector love physics and engineering graduates because of their modelling capabilities. So really you can still end up in finance of you do engineering. You should be able to find statistics on where students end up and with engineering you see that there's more options and diversity. At the end of the day, just don't tell him 😂
Original post by Luwei

Well tbh if you can't do the research required to prove why you should be an engineer...then that is an issue.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by m.s124

Awe bless, I've been in similar too, it's important to try and understand why they think the way that they think. My parents are the typical South Asian parents who are strict, but, when I ask them why and why they push me to do certain stuff, it's because they want what's "best" for us, or in someway they want us to be better than they were, better off, better educated etc. Maybe try and pick some ideas so you could at least try and see where your dad might be coming from. If you feel like Engineering is the best, of course you're entitled to feel that, it's your life, you should do with it what you please, therefore is there anyone who can help you reach a compromise with your dad, i.e is your mum okay with helping you out? Or is there any way in which he may listen. Also if you apply for ucas, and you have that fifth option why don't you use that for Engineering, usually if they require a different PS they'd let you know by email, and you can just email them to the admissions office, your dad can't get mad if you use 4/5 choices for finance, that way depending on the offers you get, the courses you seemed most interested in or go to uni open days with your dad, maybe that would convince him or you to decide what is best for you. I hope this helps x
What does he do? What does your mum think? It’s your life and you definitely shouldn’t choose a career because someone else want you to. There are no guarantees in life anyway.
Reply 10
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Well tbh if you can't do the research required to prove why you should be an engineer...then that is an issue.

Of course I have done research into it... why else would I see myself doing an engineering degree? But there are also reasons why my dad thinks finance is a better career pathway mainly for the money and job security also that it is more likely for me to be recruited for job offers as well, whereas with engineering it is harder to find that job security. That is his argument against mine. He works in the finance sector so knows a lot about it. I don't work in the engineering sector so how can I be sure I will get a good job in that sector. That is what I meant when I said I don't have enough to back it up. Everything I research or say he comes back with a stronger point and always has the final say.
Reply 11
Original post by YaliaV
What does he do? What does your mum think? It’s your life and you definitely shouldn’t choose a career because someone else want you to. There are no guarantees in life anyway.

He is now a chartered accountant and has had a lot of experience in the finance sector . My parents are separated, I live with my dad. Yes its my life but that is not a good enough reason for him as I live under his roof and how am I just meant to disobey him. I agree with you that there are no guarantees in life but according to him the chances of being successful with a finance/accounting degree is higher than in engineering.
Original post by m.s124
Of course I have done research into it... why else would I see myself doing an engineering degree? But there are also reasons why my dad thinks finance is a better career pathway mainly for the money and job security also that it is more likely for me to be recruited for job offers as well, whereas with engineering it is harder to find that job security. That is his argument against mine. He works in the finance sector so knows a lot about it. I don't work in the engineering sector so how can I be sure I will get a good job in that sector. That is what I meant when I said I don't have enough to back it up. Everything I research or say he comes back with a stronger point and always has the final say.

Just off the top of my head base your argument around this.

1) the move to digital in finance, working from home requires less staff (as business learn to operate with less even post pandemic they won't rescale staff)
2) Brexit: the city of London will likely lose financial passporting due to Brexit cause significant ripple effect loses as the UK transitions from EU banker to smaller scale domestic flows of business with a few leaner trade agreements.
3) Broking; more trades are done online requiring less staff
4) Financial tech firms offering more obscure employment as big bulge banks become less and less

Reasons for going into engineering:
1) increases in government spending an infrastructure to offset the financial collapse (Projects like High Speed Rail)
2) A shortage of Homes in the UK
3) The lifting of many EU restrictions leading to a boom in the re-tooling towards a more green economy (requires engineers)
4) Engineers to drive innovation forward due to less EU regulations
5) Engineers often working in finance, IB, Management Consulting

Find people on linkedin with an engineering degree who work in finance for example:

Apjit Walia for example...did a degree in Aerospace engineering and hes high up Director & Global Head of technology and investment strategy.
Reply 13
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Just off the top of my head base your argument around this.

1) the move to digital in finance, working from home requires less staff (as business learn to operate with less even post pandemic they won't rescale staff)
2) Brexit: the city of London will likely lose financial passporting due to Brexit cause significant ripple effect loses as the UK transitions from EU banker to smaller scale domestic flows of business with a few leaner trade agreements.
3) Broking; more trades are done online requiring less staff
4) Financial tech firms offering more obscure employment as big bulge banks become less and less

Reasons for going into engineering:
1) increases in government spending an infrastructure to offset the financial collapse (Projects like High Speed Rail)
2) A shortage of Homes in the UK
3) The lifting of many EU restrictions leading to a boom in the re-tooling towards a more green economy (requires engineers)
4) Engineers to drive innovation forward due to less EU regulations
5) Engineers often working in finance, IB, Management Consulting

Find people on linkedin with an engineering degree who work in finance for example:

Apjit Walia for example...did a degree in Aerospace engineering and hes high up Director & Global Head of technology and investment strategy.

Thank you, this helps a lot
Reply 14
Original post by L'anatra.M
The finance sector love physics and engineering graduates because of their modelling capabilities. So really you can still end up in finance of you do engineering. You should be able to find statistics on where students end up and with engineering you see that there's more options and diversity. At the end of the day, just don't tell him 😂

I have explained this to him... he says I am just wasting time. I did consider just applying for engineering without telling him but he monitors everything I do so I don't know how to get that to work. Thank you though
:yawn: Hm.. Did you say something?
Reply 16
Original post by Libbyc16
what you do at uni is up to you. nobody else should have i say in it. if you wanna do engineering you go for it because you’ll do great. talk to your dad and be as honest as possible. tell him why you wanna do engineering, future careers and why you don’t want to do finance/accounting. if that doesn’t work write a finance personals statement to show your dad but then write an engineering one and send that off. if you need help with anything pm me. i hope someone can comment something that helps in some way. good luck with everything.

Thank you so much... I have explained all the reasons as to why engineering is a better option for me... he thinks I am just being lazy and just want to take the easy route that wastes time... even though engineering isn't easy so I don't know.

When I told him I wanted to do engineering I thought he would have been impressed but apparently not.

My dad said he is going to write his personal statement with me. I had already started an engineering one and showed him he said it was a waste of time. I was hoping to apply to Cambridge for engineering now that has been thrown out the window and I just don't know what to do. Juggling both will be hard if I want to go to top unis. Sorry for rambling. Thank you for your help
Reply 17
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Awe bless, I've been in similar too, it's important to try and understand why they think the way that they think. My parents are the typical South Asian parents who are strict, but, when I ask them why and why they push me to do certain stuff, it's because they want what's "best" for us, or in someway they want us to be better than they were, better off, better educated etc. Maybe try and pick some ideas so you could at least try and see where your dad might be coming from. If you feel like Engineering is the best, of course you're entitled to feel that, it's your life, you should do with it what you please, therefore is there anyone who can help you reach a compromise with your dad, i.e is your mum okay with helping you out? Or is there any way in which he may listen. Also if you apply for ucas, and you have that fifth option why don't you use that for Engineering, usually if they require a different PS they'd let you know by email, and you can just email them to the admissions office, your dad can't get mad if you use 4/5 choices for finance, that way depending on the offers you get, the courses you seemed most interested in or go to uni open days with your dad, maybe that would convince him or you to decide what is best for you. I hope this helps x

I understand where he is coming from. He has a lot of experience in the finance sector so is too stubborn to understand why engineering would be better for me. It's hard to think the way he thinks when all he does is command me with what I have to do and dismissing everything I say and my opinion.

I live with only my dad so there is no one else who will really back me up. He has talked to his friends about it but of course they all work in finance so their opinions are bias. He doesn't agree with the idea that I should do what I want... according to him I have to do what will earn me the most money and give me the best career options.

I had high hopes for engineering. I take maths further maths and physics and it's where my strong points lie... I was hoping to apply to oxbridge. It is a good idea to use one of my options for engineering but it is hard to balance both when my dad shuts me down every time I even mention engineering. I will try this though as it seems like my only possible option. Sorry for the long reply but thank you, your response is really helpful.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
:yawn: Hm.. Did you say something?

Did I say something about wanting to do engineering? Of course. I tried explaining reasons why it would be a better suited degree for me but he dismisses every point I make.
Original post by m.s124
Thank you so much... I have explained all the reasons as to why engineering is a better option for me... he thinks I am just being lazy and just want to take the easy route that wastes time... even though engineering isn't easy so I don't know.

When I told him I wanted to do engineering I thought he would have been impressed but apparently not.

My dad said he is going to write his personal statement with me. I had already started an engineering one and showed him he said it was a waste of time. I was hoping to apply to Cambridge for engineering now that has been thrown out the window and I just don't know what to do. Juggling both will be hard if I want to go to top unis. Sorry for rambling. Thank you for your help

just don’t waste 3 years of your life studying a degree you don’t want even wanna study. if your passionate and have an interest in engineering your more likely to do well. your dad might be annoyed for a bit but he’ll come round eventually. what you do at university, will always be up to you. at the end of the day your doing the degree not your dad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending