One vs two pockets on male shirts

Watch
RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
For some reason, I've seen a lot of pictures of guys in the mid 1990s through to the mid 2000s wearing shirts that have two pockets - one on either side, often with buttons. At the same time, I rarely see this anymore, and the vast majority of them just have one (usually on the left side, and it's typically slightly smaller than on shirts from the 90s/00s too and without a button) or none at all. Is this just a change in fashion or is it the manufacturers trying to cut costs by minimising the amount of fabric they need to use?

Also, do you prefer shirts with one or two pockets?
Last edited by RJDG14; 2 weeks ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RJDG14)
For some reason, I've seen a lot of pictures of guys in the mid 1990s through to the mid 2000s wearing shirts that have two pockets - one on either side, often with buttons. At the same time, I rarely see this anymore, and the vast majority of them just have one (usually on the left side, and it's typically slightly smaller than on shirts from the 90s/00s too and without a button) or none at all. Is this just a change in fashion or is it the manufacturers trying to cut costs by minimising the amount of fabric they need to use?

Also, do you prefer shirts with one or two pockets?
Nope I believe 2 pockets is rare, even one pocket is a bit naff.
Accepting your claim that there were indeed lots of shirts with two pockets, then a reduction for cost issues and ease of manufacture is logical, but also because they looked stupid and were non functional.
RJDG14
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Having a pocket is good for somewhere to put your phone while listening to music through wired headphones though.

It's possible that 2 pockets was/are more common on American brand shirts, but I've definitely seen a lot of pictures and videos from circa 1994-2007 of British guys in their late teens and early 20s wearing shirts with two. You don't really see this much at all now.
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don't recall having any with two, and in any case only ever put glasses in the one pocket if I am not wearing a jacket.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads