Watch
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

GCSE Results Day 2020 - Autumn Exams and Appeals Information

Hi everyone! :wavey:

GCSE Results Day isn’t too far away and many of you may be wondering what you need to do if your results aren’t what you were expecting. We’re all rooting for you to do well, but as with most results days, there will be some of you that unfortunately feel a little disheartened.

Some other GCSE-related threads have been created, so if you haven’t come across them yet, you might want to take a look!

If you’re unhappy with your results, the first thing we recommend that you do is talk to your teachers, as they are best suited to giving you tailored advice, as they’ve seen your progress and academic ability first hand. However, if you’re curious about appeals and autumn exams, or your teacher suggests one of them, then the details below should help you understand them better!

We've tried to cover some of the most common questions here, but if you have any others, then do comment below and one of the team will try their best to answer

Autumn Exams
If you open your results and they’re lower than you expect, or need for progression, then taking Autumn exams may be a good option for you. All subjects will be available for retake in November.

English and Maths are usually the most common subjects to retake, as these are often required at a grade 4 or above for most further study/employment. If you achieve a grade 3, it’s highly likely that your school will advise you to take the autumn exams; it’s therefore important to discuss your options with your school or college. Some schools and colleges are much more willing to let you retake your Maths and English than they are for other subjects - so make sure you ask them - though if you are able to progress to the course you wanted, perhaps you don’t need to retake?

When can I retake?
In 2020, since no one sat the exams in the summer, then all subjects are available for retake in November. You need to discuss with your teachers taking these asap though since the entry deadline is in early September, and schools may have an internal deadline before this.

Can I just retake the one subject?
Yes, you can keep the results for the subjects you're happy with, and just retake the ones you're not.

What if I do worse in the retake than my original exam?
There’s the possibility you won’t improve on your original grade however, this year only, if you retake during Autumn exams you can choose to get your certificate reprinted with the best grade on there only.

If universities can see I did a retake, do they care?
In 2020, taking November exams won't be considered a retake since you can get your certificate reprinted with just your highest grades on whether from June or November 2020, so you don't have to worry about this this year Be aware of distracting yourself from your further studies though, so don't take on too much to do on top of that.

How much does it cost?
If you’re a full time student and the retake is either Maths or English then your school/college will most likely pay for it. If you enter as a private candidate and do the retake independently, you’ll need to make sure you find an exam centre to sit the exams at, and this often comes with admin fees and exam fees that you’ll need to cover yourself. It's likely with autumn exams you'll be able to sit them at your normal school, and they will make a decision as to whether they will charge their students the exam entry fee individually.

When will results for autumn exams be released?
Results for GCSE exams taken in November are provisionally scheduled for release to schools on 10th February and to students on 11th February.

Can I take autumn exams while starting sixth form?
This will depend on your sixth form. If it's a maths and/or English exam you wish to sit, it's likely that your sixth form will allow you to start your course and sit the exams in November, although they may require you to do a level 2 course for this year and only move up to level 3 if you've passed next year. Similarly, if you only want to take a couple of subjects, particularly if you already meet the requirements for the course(s) you want to take at sixth form then they'll likely allow you to start your sixth form courses. If you've missed the requirements for your course(s), this may be more difficult, since they may not want you to take the courses you've planned, and it is very unlikely to be possible to start them after results since this is almost half way through the year. You'll need to talk to your teachers about your options. If you meet the requirements for your sixth form, then it's worth considering if you really need to resit anything other than maths and English, exams in November could be a distraction from starting your further studies off on the best foot.

Appeals
NOTE: Since this was written, it has been announced that all students will be awarded their calculated grade on results day. We do not know if this closes any avenues to appeal, such as the ones below, so ask your exam centre if you are unsure if you will be able to appeal using these methods.

There has been lots of talk about appeals if your results don’t go to plan. However, Ofqual are only going to allow appeals in very limited circumstances, and all appeals must go via your school.

Here is a link to Ofqual's student guide to Appeals

If you/your school believe a mistake has been made, either by the school or the exam board, your school can appeal your result. This must go via your exams officer at school. It’s very likely that if you’re in this situation, your school will contact you. However, if you’re really surprised by a result, it is worth speaking to your school about this.

Otherwise, if you’re unhappy with your grade, your only option is a malpractice appeal to the exam board. Unless you are a private candidate, this must go via your school.

There’s guidance on how to do this for:

AQA: https://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-adminis...esults/appeals

Edexcel (Pearson): https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...-services.html

OCR: https://www.ocr.org.uk/administratio...sults/appeals/

The fees for this are much higher than the usual fees for review of marking (over £100 for the initial investigation, with an additional fee for any hearings) and it’s likely to be quite a long process. As usual however, you are refunded if the appeal is successful.

In 2020 for your appeal to be successful you are likely to need to have evidence of malpractice of some kind, or an error to have been made in the processing (eg. if your school finds that they put you in the rank order as number 10, but you come out with a worse grade than the person at number 15)

How likely is it that my grade will change?
Unless there has been a major error in the process, it's very unlikely your grade will change this year.

Do I have to pay?
To get an appeal there will be a fee, however if the grade changes then you’ll be reimbursed. The amount you’ll pay varies between centres and exam boards but they will be a lot more than reviews of marking usually are, you can see the fees for some exam boards in the links above

Do I have to appeal to take the autumn exams?
No, you can take the autumn exams without appealing your summer exam result.

Good luck to everyone :hugs:
Last edited by Lemur14; 1 year ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This year TSR is getting behind the #NoWrongPath Campaign.
Recent events this week have highlighted that the grades students receive this year don't always reflect the hard work that students put in. TSR wants to send a message: Your grades don't define you. :heart:

Click here to find out more about this and to get involved.

If you're receiving results at the moment, best of luck and TSR is here to help. :hugs:

Last edited by Lemur14; 1 year ago
EDUCATEDER
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello, I asked my teacher if they asked for predicted results, he would tell the exam board I deserved a 4, however today I got a 3, is their anyway I can appeal on the basis of Grade 4 criteria level. Also this is an emergency because my university place will be in risk as I need a 4 in maths. The Uni has no foundation year for the course which I want to study. Also I can’t sit the autumn exams as I have left college and I need to pay for my exams now, financially I can’t pay for a math exam.
Last edited by EDUCATEDER; 1 year ago
Lemur14
Rep:
?
(Original post by EDUCATEDER)
Hello, I asked my teacher if they asked for predicted results, he would tell the exam board I deserved a 4, however today I got a 3, is their anyway I can appeal on the basis of Grade 4 criteria level. Also this is an emergency because my university place will be in risk as I need a 4 in maths. The Uni has no foundation year for the course which I want to study. Also I can’t sit the autumn exams as I have left college and I need to pay for my exams now, financially I can’t pay for a math exam.
Assuming there hasn't been a mistake (such as your teacher did put you in for a grade 4 and you've come out with a grade 3), then there won't be any way you can appeal unfortunately, unless you have evidence for discrimination when the ranking was made Additionally, even if you could appeal, there's a chance your appeal wouldn't be complete until after your university needs to know your result. That said, exam centres have been told not to charge for autumn exams if you were sitting with them in the summer, so you should talk to them about this option
EDUCATEDER
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
Assuming there hasn't been a mistake (such as your teacher did put you in for a grade 4 and you've come out with a grade 3), then there won't be any way you can appeal unfortunately, unless you have evidence for discrimination when the ranking was made Additionally, even if you could appeal, there's a chance your appeal wouldn't be complete until after your university needs to know your result. That said, exam centres have been told not to charge for autumn exams if you were sitting with them in the summer, so you should talk to them about this option
I was sitting my exams in college and now I can’t go back to college or afford to go to exam center
Lemur14
Rep:
?
(Original post by EDUCATEDER)
I was sitting my exams in college and now I can’t go back to college or afford to go to exam center
Try reading this: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...eries-guidance Your college has a responsibility to find a way that you can sit them for free since you are no longer on role at any school/college.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads