Theory of Everything Party! But Einstein not Invited! Watch

MeAndBubbles
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I can't abide Special Relativity and it's offshoots! I really enjoy learning about nature but I'm erked by relativity's pervasiveness.

I enjoy reading about 'theories of everything', like string theory. But SR has nagged me and upset my enjoyment of physics.

Is there any 'theory of everything' that are favoured by the dissident scientists that oppose this surrender to relativity? Obviously string theory is mainstream, so that's no longer of interest to me.

By theory of everything, I obviously don't mean a theory that brings together relativity and quantum theory. I mean a theory that accounts for the forces of nature, there strengths, and the fundamental constants of nature.

Anything? I know there are meant to be 100's if not 1000's of theories out there.
History Lost in Physics
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Uum - do you not understand special relativity or something?

There aren't many physicists who disagree with it living presently. Ones with jobs anyhow...
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am sure the Pope might have a few ideas for you...
Robob
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You don't like relativity, but you're perfectly happy to accept quantum theory? Quantum is far less intuitive.

There are a large number of proposed theories, just have a look on wiki/google, but they are very difficult to test due to a lack of powerful enough particle accelerators and the fact that in some the maths becomes so hideously complicated that it is too difficult (currently) to provide testable predictions.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
Uum - do you not understand special relativity or something?

There aren't many physicists who disagree with it living presently. Ones with jobs anyhow...

there was a Bulgarian physics professor who had experimental proof that c wasn't constant. aparently he earnt money as a horse groomer or something and was a political dissident. You will accept Einstein or leave the country:woo:

true, I simply am tired of trying to understand it or accept it. It's not fun at the minute.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hopping Mad Kangaroo)
I am sure the Pope might have a few ideas for you...
If I find SR to be irrational, I'm hardly going to be tempted by the Pope's theories.:p:
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Robob)
You don't like relativity, but you're perfectly happy to accept quantum theory? Quantum is far less intuitive.

There are a large number of proposed theories, just have a look on wiki/google, but they are very difficult to test due to a lack of powerful enough particle accelerators and the fact that in some the maths becomes so hideously complicated that it is too difficult (currently) to provide testable predictions.

the maths is what excites me, I'm a pure 'constructivist' thinker and special relativity is a 'theory of principle', which you either love or hate.

i should wiki 'theory of everything', i didn't examine the page thoroughly yet.

yeh, quantum theory, i think i could love.
Audrey Hepburn
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
A string theorist's wife comes home early one day to find her husband in bed with two naked Thai women, a priest, and a goat.

The string theorist immediately leaps out of bed and cries: 'But Darling! I can explain everything!'

String theory sucks ass. Even the jokes about string theory suck ass.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by Audrey Hepburn)
A string theorist's wife comes home early one day to find her husband in bed with two naked Thai women, a priest, and a goat.

The string theorist immediately leaps out of bed and cries: 'But Darling! I can explain everything!'

String theory sucks ass. Even the jokes about string theory suck ass.

nice joke, you sexy hoe.
Audrey Hepburn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MeAndBubbles)
nice joke, you sexy hoe.
*removes profile picture and stops coming on TSR at 1am*
imtired
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
a new, large picture? damn i missed it!
History Lost in Physics
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
there was a Bulgarian physics professor who had experimental proof that c wasn't constant. aparently he earnt money as a horse groomer or something and was a political dissident. You will accept Einstein or leave the country:woo:

true, I simply am tired of trying to understand it or accept it. It's not fun at the minute.
There was some thing in a new scientist ages ago about something not obeying special relativity as it should have done. I think that it must have been solved though or a bigger thing would have been made of it. Try getting a different teacher - sometimes having it put in a different way can make it make sense!
Audrey Hepburn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by imtired)
a new, larger picture? damn i missed it!
Too bad :no:

Apparently I looked like a sexy hoe in it too :dontknow:
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago

(I know nothing about string theory, but it's xkcd, so it must be true.)
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
i dare you to email me your real photo, sexy.
necessarily benevolent
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's VERY disrespectful. I condemn any degrading comments about women.
Audrey Hepburn
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i dare you to email me your real photo, sexy.
:mfing:
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by History Lost in Physics)
There was some thing in a new scientist ages ago about something not obeying special relativity as it should have done. I think that it must have been solved though or a bigger thing would have been made of it. Try getting a different teacher - sometimes having it put in a different way can make it make sense!

Dude, there is ample evidence outthere, **** loads. Lorenzt only came up with the Lorentz Transformations because he was unable to give up the Lumiferous Ether. So he made length contract, time slow down, all the irrational stuff. Then Einstein came along and said I'll have some of that and knicked it, which got Lorentz's knickers in a twist because he also believed in the Ether, and Einstein gave up on the Ether. Phew!!!!
schrodinger's cat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dude, there is ample evidence outthere, **** loads. Lorenzt only came up with the Lorentz Transformations because he was unable to give up the Lumiferous Ether. So he made length contract, time slow down, or the irrational stuff. Then Einstein came along and said I'll have some of that and knicked it, which got Lorentz's knickers in a twist because he also believed in the Ether, and Einstein gave up on the Ether. Phew!!!!
You're a Scientist and you think that is evidence :lolwut:

The theories prediction has proved experimentally accurate endlessly and above all it actually makes sense. There are a very few number of Physicists who believe the theory is wrong, but they are in a minority and have at least studied the theory in sufficient depth to make this judgment. From your posts so far i feel you do not understand the theory even nearly well enough.
MeAndBubbles
Rep:
?
(Original post by schrodinger's cat)
You're a Scientist and you think that is evidence :lolwut:

The theories prediction has proved experimentally accurate endlessly and above all it actually makes sense. There are a very few number of Physicists who believe the theory is wrong, but they are in a minority and have at least studied the theory in sufficient depth to make this judgment. From your posts so far i feel you do not understand the theory even nearly well enough.
erm, i never wanted to study it, i was sidetracked by it. It's giving me a headache trying to understand it. I ought to really get to grips with the thought experiments, I want to do that as a first step. I just get confused when they talk about trains and what observers see and when. I need to be more disciplined!!!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?