Have your parents ever tried to split you and your new relationship up

Watch
Loveslots1990
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
My Mother has very high standards she can't stand my girl friend of three years. She says regularly that she'd love it if the girl and I split up so I could find a better girl friend. Is this common?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Loveslots1990)
My Mother has very high standards she can't stand my girl friend of three years. She says regularly that she'd love it if the girl and I split up so I could find a better girl friend. Is this common?
has she given you a logical reason why she doesn't like her?
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Why doesn't your mother like her?
Loveslots1990
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Because she dosent work that seems to be the biggest reason both my parents have worked most of their lives, so my mum classes her as lazy. Also my girl friend suffers from a lot of nerves and anxiety so she won't apply for jobs or do things such as driving lessons or shopping on her own. They do get on but don't at the same time!
username1339858_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Because she dosent work that seems to be the biggest reason both my parents have worked most of their lives, so my mum classes her as lazy. Also my girl friend suffers from a lot of nerves and anxiety so she won't apply for jobs or do things such as driving lessons or shopping on her own. They do get on but don't at the same time!
I understand your mothers concern. Your gf needs help in managing her anxiety, and your mother may not be well informed on the toic of anxiety.

Is your gf getting any help to manage her anxiety?

You should quote the users you are repyling to, means they are more likely to see what you have written
username5027880
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Although currently single, by choice by the way.
In the past my parents have always been supportive, even if they were not totally keen,
I'm very fortunate to have such great parents.
Miss Maddie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
You parents want what's best for you. They have more experience and are usually right. If you're young and you can't see marriage and longevity on the horizon, listen to your parents. Your parents are more important than any partner.
Richard Bucket
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I've only had one relationship and my mother and stepfather nevee tried to break us up, but I wish they would've done, as my ex was not someone to write home about.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I understand your mum's worries but it doesn't give her the right to openly proclaim she wants you to split up. That's just cruel and unnecessary.

Parents want the best for their kids, that's a given, so I feel her concern comes from the fact that your relatioonship comes across as you doing a lot of things for her. Her anxiety is understandable - is she getting any help for it? I'd imagine your mum is worried about the future - you always having to accompany her to do shopping, always being the driver and always the contributing the majority of the income. She wants you to be in a relationship that's equal. I'm sorry to say it but you can't let anxiety stop you from getting a job, that's just not practical in adult life.
Last edited by bones-mccoy; 10 months ago
Anonymous #1
Report 10 months ago
Well my parents don’t agree with me because I refuse to date my own race but they’ve gave up now but they expect me to date someone intelligent, good job etc. Whereas they don’t care about my older siblings dating life which is kinda strange.
But no my mum didn’t like my brother’s gf because she was a hookup that he got pregnant and she just caused a lot of problems with us. But he stayed with her so we had to accept her so we try the best to get along with her but yeah my parents secretly hate her.
khadijaaaxxxx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
yes. i'm 13 and i was involved with a 17 year old guy from my school. they split us up unfortunately :/
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
no my grandma has tho
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No. My dad wasn't a fan of my first girlfriend but not liking them and actively trying to destroy my relationship with them are two completely different things.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Judging by OP's username, there's a very high chance they're already, or will soon become, 30 years of age...
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes, this is why mother in laws are typically loathed by wives
Vapordave
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by khadijaaaxxxx)
yes. i'm 13 and i was involved with a 17 year old guy from my school. they split us up unfortunately :/
Think that was for the best tbh
khadijaaaxxxx
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Daveological)
Think that was for the best tbh
yeah i guess, still was sad having to stop talking to him you know
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No.
I never let them find out when I was dating and made sure every bf knew that there was no chance of any contact.

One exes mother did her best to cause trouble; bombarded me with her negativity and took every opportunity to prove to everyone else how much she despised me.
She only managed to make herself look like a spiteful old woman, embarrassed her only son and her relationship with him never recovered.
I'll never date a guy with relatives that he has a close relationship with or any contact with parents/grandparents.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed