psych95
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

So I'm a psychology graduate (2:2) with experience as psych tutor/running my own website for students/content writing and editing for 5 years. Graduated in 2018.

I had twins in my last year of uni and am currently looking after them. Haven't done much academic stuff since I had them as they're a full-time job. I did volunteer as a phone counsellor for a few months and do free courses in my spare time to learn more.

For the past year, I've been heavily interested in the NCA - the CEOP (child exploitation) sector to be specific. I even applied for their summer internship but my application was never seen (along with others) due to a security firewall issue they had (I was told this later when I emailed for an update, by then the deadline had passed).

I was just looking for some realistic advice on what I can do to become a suitable candidate. Ideally, I want to look after my kids until they're at school full-time. However, I can make time for a degree/course.

I've wanted to do a MSc in Child Psychology since I graduated. Now I'm wondering would it be better to do Criminal Psychology? I've been going through the NCA website to see what I could work towards but I decided to ask advice on here from people who might've been through the system already.

LONG STORY SHORT:
Graduated with 2:2 in Psychology in 2018. Haven't worked. Want to work towards joining NCA/CEOP. Should I do a Masters in Child Psych/Criminal Psych? How can I build up a good portfolio and become a suitable candidate?

Thank you for reading!
psych95
Rep:
?
Bumping for some responses (hopefully!)
psych95
Rep:
?
Anyone?
Anisablue
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I enquired to the NCA a couple month back as I too have degree in pychology and I will be starting a masters in forensic psychology in September . I was basically informed that I would have to apply for entry grade roles when they come out or the trainee roles. But they could not tell me when they plan to recruit
psych95
Rep:
?
Thanks Anisablue!

Yeah I emailed them a few days ago and they said (1) check the website career section and (2) apply through Civil Service website.

Actual detailed career advice can only be given by existing NCA members I guess?

If you don’t mind me asking, what department would you be interested in? I’m also tempted to go for Forensic Psych but not sure yet.
Anisablue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yh it’s just something I’m interested in more than a career to be honest and the masters is distance learning so will fit around work. I already work for civil service so would be nice in the future maybe to move across to NCA
psych95
Rep:
?
Distance learning for Forensic Psych? That’s great, would you mind sharing the course provider/institution? I’d definitely be interested in doing something online to work around my family life!
Anisablue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yh university of Huddersfield 😊
University of Huddersfield
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by psych95)
Hi there,

So I'm a psychology graduate (2:2) with experience as psych tutor/running my own website for students/content writing and editing for 5 years. Graduated in 2018.

I had twins in my last year of uni and am currently looking after them. Haven't done much academic stuff since I had them as they're a full-time job. I did volunteer as a phone counsellor for a few months and do free courses in my spare time to learn more.

For the past year, I've been heavily interested in the NCA - the CEOP (child exploitation) sector to be specific. I even applied for their summer internship but my application was never seen (along with others) due to a security firewall issue they had (I was told this later when I emailed for an update, by then the deadline had passed).

I was just looking for some realistic advice on what I can do to become a suitable candidate. Ideally, I want to look after my kids until they're at school full-time. However, I can make time for a degree/course.

I've wanted to do a MSc in Child Psychology since I graduated. Now I'm wondering would it be better to do Criminal Psychology? I've been going through the NCA website to see what I could work towards but I decided to ask advice on here from people who might've been through the system already.

LONG STORY SHORT:
Graduated with 2:2 in Psychology in 2018. Haven't worked. Want to work towards joining NCA/CEOP. Should I do a Masters in Child Psych/Criminal Psych? How can I build up a good portfolio and become a suitable candidate?

Thank you for reading!
Hi psych95

How are you?

We have a few masters courses that might be of interest to you. You can find them here.
On the course pages you can find all the information you may need, including entry requirements, placements and modules.
You can also 'ask a question' which will go straight to the admissions team, who will be able to give you more details about the course and any relevant experience you may need.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to help.

Speak soon,
Harriette
psych95
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Huddersfield)
Hi psych95

How are you?

We have a few masters courses that might be of interest to you. You can find them here.
On the course pages you can find all the information you may need, including entry requirements, placements and modules.
You can also 'ask a question' which will go straight to the admissions team, who will be able to give you more details about the course and any relevant experience you may need.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, I'd be happy to help.

Speak soon,
Harriette
Hi Harriette,

Thanks for letting me know, I’ve taken a look and Investigate Psychology MSc looks interesting to me. However, it says if I don’t have a 2:1 then I need...
“...the ability to complete a Master’s course at a higher level demonstrated through professional, vocational or other documented experience.”

Can you suggest what I should have in my portfolio to make myself more suitable? I only have experience in an international school teaching KS1, 2 and 3 as well as tutoring A-level Psych students. I also did editorial work for about 5 years as a freelancer.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thank you
Anisablue
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know they do also consider applications from people with a 2:2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Harriette,

Thanks for letting me know, I’ve taken a look and Investigate Psychology MSc looks interesting to me. However, it says if I don’t have a 2:1 then I need...
“...the ability to complete a Master’s course at a higher level demonstrated through professional, vocational or other documented experience.”

Can you suggest what I should have in my portfolio to make myself more suitable? I only have experience in an international school teaching KS1, 2 and 3 as well as tutoring A-level Psych students. I also did editorial work for about 5 years as a freelancer.

Thank you
Hi psych95

Just to let you know, I have asked this question to the school for more detailed information. I'll let you know once I have had a response.

In the meantime I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Speak soon,
Harriette
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Harriette,

Thank you
Hi psych95

The course leader has replied to my email to say that we would encourage you to apply and put the experience you are talking about into your statement. Each applicant is different so we encourage students to apply even with a 2.2.

I hope this helps.

Speak soon,
Harriette
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (41)
23.16%
Better than expected (42)
23.73%
Worse than expected (94)
53.11%

Watched Threads