Hair loss

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a guy and been having hair loss for about 6 years now (since I was around 15/16), and I don't know why it's happening. I've tried a lot of stuff like using oil, changing my diet even though it was good already, exercising more, but none of it works.
I don't know why this is happening, and I've also started getting more white hair (was around 4 strands a few years back, and now it's at around 10).
This hasn't happened to anyone in my family and at this point, I think even my grand parents have more hair than me which is quite heart-breaking.
Does any one have any advice on why this is happening or what to do as it is quite noticeable when I'm under direct light
I don't want to do a hair transplant or take any medicine like minoxidil as I heard that if you use a few times, and then stop, your hair falls out again.

Thank for any advice
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
i believe their is a middle option for hair loss, have seen adverts on the tube, not hair transplants but hair units that blend in with your hair? (i am female so not looked into it myself)

anyway google hair units to see if that sort of thing may suit you?
Hannah0505
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
wear a wig
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm a guy and been having hair loss for about 6 years now (since I was around 15/16), and I don't know why it's happening. I've tried a lot of stuff like using oil, changing my diet even though it was good already, exercising more, but none of it works.
I don't know why this is happening, and I've also started getting more white hair (was around 4 strands a few years back, and now it's at around 10).
This hasn't happened to anyone in my family and at this point, I think even my grand parents have more hair than me which is quite heart-breaking.
Does any one have any advice on why this is happening or what to do as it is quite noticeable when I'm under direct light
I don't want to do a hair transplant or take any medicine like minoxidil as I heard that if you use a few times, and then stop, your hair falls out again.

Thank for any advice
there might be a medical issue, like anemia or deficiencies. get a blood test.
HenryHein
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Thank for any advice
Hi there if you have male pattern baldness (tends to start off with 'm' shaped temples- look on google images) I'm afraid you can exercise or change your diet as much as you want, but you won't notice any change in your hairline (of course, exercise is great for general well-being!). The only effective treatments I'm afraid are the medicines you are hesitant to take. Minoxidil (which is applied as a foam and has no side effects) or finasteride/off-label dutasteride (they can have side effects, but are usually well-tolerated). These can be bought via an online consultation.

Otherwise I would suggest visiting your GP because there are many other potential causes of hair loss.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 12 hours ago
i believe their is a middle option for hair loss, have seen adverts on the tube, not hair transplants but hair units that blend in with your hair? (i am female so not looked into it myself)

anyway google hair units to see if that sort of thing may suit you?
Hi!
I would rather not get anything artificial added on so worst case scenario, I'll just go with it
Thanks for the advice though
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Hannah0505)
wear a wig
Haha I would rather just go with it in the worst case
Thanks for the reply though
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ciel.)
there might be a medical issue, like anemia or deficiencies. get a blood test.
Yeah , I am going to call the local GP tomorrow and try to get a blood test done. It may be my vegetarian diet, but I haven't had any deficiencies when I did a blood test in the past, though that was nearly 4/5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply
TakeALittleWalk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 hours ago
I’d recommend using shampoo once a week, on a specific day. Make sure you wash your hair every day though with water, ensuring you get rid of all the dirt and smell effectively. Use johnsons’ baby shampoo on shampoo day but half an hour before your shower apply olive oil effectively into your scalp. Once you’ve finished washing it off (with water or water plus shampoo depending on the day) dry your hair with A TOWEL really well, then top up your hair/scalp with some more Olive Oil, maybe not as much massaging into your scalp as you’d do before a shower. Feel free to use boiling hot water on your body if you’ve gotten too used to it, which happens to a lot of people such as myself, but always, ALWAYS use cold water on your head. It’s really good for the scalp too. That’s it really. And eat your veggies 👍🏼
Last edited by TakeALittleWalk; 12 hours ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by HenryHein)
Hi there if you have male pattern baldness (tends to start off with 'm' shaped temples- look on google images) I'm afraid you can exercise or change your diet as much as you want, but you won't notice any change in your hairline (of course, exercise is great for general well-being!). The only effective treatments I'm afraid are the medicines you are hesitant to take. Minoxidil (which is applied as a foam and has no side effects) or finasteride/off-label dutasteride (they can have side effects, but are usually well-tolerated). These can be bought via an online consultation.

Otherwise I would suggest visiting your GP because there are many other potential causes of hair loss.
I don't have a receding hairline or anything (the hair is just going from all over), and no one in my family has male pattern baldness. I mean, even my grandparents have an almost full set of hair, and my dad didn't start losing hair until he was around 45 (it's still mostly there).
This is why I think it may be something else. My suspicion is dandruff and a lot of stress, but I'm not completely certain so I'll be contacting the local GP tomorrow for a blood test and hopefully it's something that can be solved.

Thanks for the reply
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
Yeah , I am going to call the local GP tomorrow and try to get a blood test done. It may be my vegetarian diet, but I haven't had any deficiencies when I did a blood test in the past, though that was nearly 4/5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply
Speaking to GP sounds like a good plan, especially if you are vegetarian. Also, have you tried multivitamins designed to strengthen hair (Perfectil is one brand, but I have bought cheaper versions with the same ingredients in Tesco) - I'm female but I sometimes have problems with my hair falling out and they always help after about a month a so. I usually take them for about 3 months and then stop.
Xarao
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 hours ago
I don't have a receding hairline or anything (the hair is just going from all over), and no one in my family has male pattern baldness. I mean, even my grandparents have an almost full set of hair, and my dad didn't start losing hair until he was around 45 (it's still mostly there).
This is why I think it may be something else. My suspicion is dandruff and a lot of stress, but I'm not completely certain so I'll be contacting the local GP tomorrow for a blood test and hopefully it's something that can be solved.

Thanks for the reply
If you're able to, I'd recommend going clean shaven/bald to see if it actually is dandruff. You are also better able to take care of your scalp much more easily when there's no hair. Shaving is also a natural exfoliation for the skin, so it'll be a starting point for you to start taking care of it better.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (32)
17.88%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
29.61%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (94)
52.51%

Watched Threads