Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just checked the price of a return ticket to Canterbury from Oxford and was astounded to observe that this is £23.15. I find it remarkable that the cost of a journey involving over three hours of travel and that passes right through central London is so low. When compared against other rail fares, such as the £42 it costs to traverse from Oxford to Manchester, this price is even more difficult to comprehend. Is the National Rail website incorrect, or does it really only cost £23.15 for a return ticket from Oxford to Canterbury. Thanks to whoever replies to this post :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well your train won't go direct - that price quoted basically means about 17 pounds for the Oxford-London Paddington fare, and about another 7 pounds for the London Victoria-Canterbury fare. Were you using a Young Persons Railcard when looking up the price, as that will take about 1/3 off the normal total?

ReputationRep:
    Are you referring to National Express?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato123)
    Are you referring to National Express?
    I think he means thetrainline.com

ReputationRep:
    Milady, I'm aware that it costs about £17 to travel between Oxford and London Paddington, however £6 for a ticket between Victoria/Charing Cross and Canterbury seems shockingly cheap.

And yes, I do have a Young Person's Railcard.

Though I'm still amazed to think I can travel from here to London and thereafter all the way the down to the south east coast for almost the same price as it is go from here to one of the Midlands cities like Coventry, Birmingham or Wolverhampton.

Are journeys down to the southwest from Oxford cheap as this?

By the way, the price of the journey is the same if you avoid the London stations - and travel instead between Oxford and Reading, Reading and Redhill, Redhill and Tonbridge, and Tonbridge and Canterbury West (a route I think I will prefer).

And, lastly, I never have been and never will go on a sluggish, cramped, depressingly bland National Express coach!

ReputationRep:
    Is it a standard ticket, or an "advance" one? Advance tickets are normally a lot cheaper than standard ones.

Possibly train journeys to central London from Oxford are cheap because of the competition from the Oxford Tube and the Espress?

ReputationRep:
    It's not an advanced ticket, by the way - they're even cheaper.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.