The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

How to be an architect

I have A in all sciences, maths, english, french and computer science in IGCSE but I did not do art ever in my life so can I still do architecture?
Original post by AIM6299
I have A in all sciences, maths, english, french and computer science in IGCSE but I did not do art ever in my life so can I still do architecture?

Try this...
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/architect
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
So you do need art ??
Original post by AIM6299
So you do need art ??

Strictly speaking no, but architecture degrees (even very "technical" ones like at Bath or Strathclyde) do involve (creative) design elements, so you need to be prepared to do that kind of work even if you haven't before. Outside of that many (but not all) architecture courses will expect a creative portfolio (regardless of whether you did art at A-level or not; sometimes they may require it specifically if you haven't done a creative arts subject at A-level) which you will then need to develop in your spare time.

Although these are a few years old now, @PQ collected some links to then current architecture applicant portfolios in this thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70087576&highlight= which may give you an idea of what other applicants may be applying with if you do apply to a course requiring a portfolio. Note that some of the links may no longer work. As noted above though some architecture courses are notably more "art-y" than others (e.g. UCL is very focused on the conceptual/creative design side, compared to Bath which is more "technical" in nature as I understand). You should investigate each course carefully to see how the "style" of the course fits to your interests (and background).

If you aren't interested in the design side of things and just want to work in the built environment sector and are quite scientifically/mathematically inclined you may find a course in civil engineering more fitting to your interests and aptitudes. The design elements of these courses are not focused on creative design, but engineering design e.g. planning what materials to use so a structure doesn't collapse. There are also a handful of courses that combine both sides (off the top of my head I think Sheffield and UCL do, although the UCL one is new and so won't receive accreditation until after the first cohort graduates, which I don't think has happened yet).
Original post by AIM6299

If you have never done any art ever in your life then why do you think you will enjoy or be suited to a degree and career that is focused on design?
Original post by AIM6299

Hi AIM6299,

It's great to hear you're interested in studying Architecture with us :smile:

You can learn all about the programme itself and it's entry requirements here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/k100/. As you can see in the Entry Requirements tab, you do not need an Art qualification to be considered for the programme, only GCSE grade B or 6 in Mathematics and English are required, if not taken at a higher level. However, you do need to submit a portfolio which may include some elements of design. For any questions on the portfolio and what it entails, please get in touch with our Architecture, Planning and Landscape School direct at: [email protected].

You can also ask our current students about this via our Unibuddy platform! On our platform we have several Architecture students who would be happy to offer their advice about the programme and would certainly be able to help with your concern. Chat here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/contact/unibuddy/ :smile:

Hope this helps & good luck!

- Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending