First time Motorway Driving

Watch
Lokum
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
How different is driving on the motorway to the dual carriageway?
I’m use to driving on the A47.
Is there much of a step up on a motorway apart from more lanes?
Euphoria101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t have many tips which isn’t helpful but the first time I drove on a motorway I drove with my brother who guided me through it all and we went at a time where we knew it wouldn’t be busy. I would 100% recommend you go on a motorway with someone else who’s experienced before you go alone!
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lokum)
How different is driving on the motorway to the dual carriageway?
I’m use to driving on the A47.
Is there much of a step up on a motorway apart from more lanes?
Not that different. Just stay on the left-hand lane unless you're overtaking or if road signs tell you otherwise etc. The usual rules you're used to driving on dual carriageways. If you have cruise control, use it because it will make the experience a lot nicer. Be aware of people forcing their way into your lane if there is an entry slip road coming up etc. Don't get too close behind other vehicles, especially lorries. When overtaking foreign lorries, don't hang about - they sit on the left-hand side and probably won't be able to see you when you sit on their right.

Just make sure you have enough fuel, and you have some screenwash fluid in the bottle. Motorways are the safest roads.

One more thing - if you are going on a smart motorway, just remember to observe the overhead electronic gantry signs, especially the red 'X'. That means the lane is closed and you should get out of it.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 1 week ago
Ben_Shapiro123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
make sure u go 70mph cuz if ur going slow ur putting urself and others at risk
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (32)
17.88%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
29.61%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (94)
52.51%

Watched Threads