Taught master's in literature--submission of written work

Watch
Treepie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,

I'm an Indian with a non-literature undergrad, and I don't really understand "literary critical work"/"literary work" that all universities require in their applications.

I'm intimidated by the kind of writing published in academic journals (which I've read on Jstor), and I'm sure what universities require for MA applications is more advanced than an A level essay.

Would be grateful if you could share any of these: what you know about the kind of writing accepted, good sample essays, books, general advice.

Thank you!
Last edited by Treepie; 5 months ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Treepie)
Hi all,

I'm an Indian with a non-literature undergrad, and I don't really understand "literary critical work"/"literary work" that all universities require in their applications.

I'm intimidated by the kind of writing published in academic journals (which I've read on Jstor), and I'm sure what universities require for MA applications is more advanced than an A level essay.

Would be grateful if you could share any of these: what you know about the kind of writing accepted, good sample essays, books, general advice.

Thank you!
Not sure what the context is of this?

You have a non literature first degree and you are applying to do a taught MA in literature?
Have you checked whether they will accept you?
Is there some reason you have chosen an MA in literature other than personal interest?

Do the applications ask you to enclose a sample of your work and it is that which confuses you?

If so check whether it has to be E Lit or not.
If not send your best essay.
If it has to be literary then talks to them and check whether an A level essay is enough or whether you have to write a fresh one. Obviously you could use that sample for other applications.

You should be able to find some books on Amazon to give you an idea what to do.
Treepie
Rep:
?
Hi all,

Thank you!
(Original post by 999tigger)
Not sure what the context is of this?

You have a non literature first degree and you are applying to do a taught MA in literature?
Have you checked whether they will accept you?
Is there some reason you have chosen an MA in literature other than personal interest?

Do the applications ask you to enclose a sample of your work and it is that which confuses you?

If so check whether it has to be E Lit or not.
If not send your best essay.
If it has to be literary then talks to them and check whether an A level essay is enough or whether you have to write a fresh one. Obviously you could use that sample for other applications.

You should be able to find some books on Amazon to give you an idea what to do.
Thank you for your reply.

More context: I have a law degree, which in India you can get without ever writing a "good" essay. But I switched fields. I taught English for 5 years--Teach for India and another school for kids from low income backgrounds. It was an IGCSE school, so even though I was a workshop teacher in middle school, I have some idea about A level lit essays--I didn't study in a Cambridge board school. I want to do a masters because I desire to continue teaching Englis

I think I should be eligible in at least some unis. I did write to one and they said they can only respond to whether I'm eligible or not once I submit the entire application.

I did find some books on essay writing online. I hope they help. I'm thinking I should try to make the writing as good as possible--as close to academic writing available in these journals as I can achieve. It's seems an important document to demonstrate my eligibility.
999tigger
Report 5 months ago
Thank you for your reply.

More context: I have a law degree, which in India you can get without ever writing a "good" essay. But I switched fields. I taught English for 5 years--Teach for India and another school for kids from low income backgrounds. It was an IGCSE school, so even though I was a workshop teacher in middle school, I have some idea about A level lit essays--I didn't study in a Cambridge board school. I want to do a masters because I desire to continue teaching Englis

I think I should be eligible in at least some unis. I did write to one and they said they can only respond to whether I'm eligible or not once I submit the entire application.

I did find some books on essay writing online. I hope they help. I'm thinking I should try to make the writing as good as possible--as close to academic writing available in these journals as I can achieve. It's seems an important document to demonstrate my eligibility.
Sorry for the late reply.

I would try and find a course that isnt just straight literature, but is either self contained i.e suitable for beginners or focuses on teaching. I am not sure one exists, but that would seem to be more beneficial to you than say an advanced literature course where the other applicants have already spent 3 years plus A level studying the subject? That would seem to make more sense.

I would find those sort of courses first rather than aspiring to an advanced course which might not be what you want?

How about something like this? the kindle version is only £5.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Eng...6664717&sr=8-7
Treepie
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Sorry for the late reply.

I would try and find a course that isnt just straight literature, but is either self contained i.e suitable for beginners or focuses on teaching. I am not sure one exists, but that would seem to be more beneficial to you than say an advanced literature course where the other applicants have already spent 3 years plus A level studying the subject? That would seem to make more sense.

I would find those sort of courses first rather than aspiring to an advanced course which might not be what you want?

How about something like this? the kindle version is only £5.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Eng...6664717&sr=8-7
999tigger,

You're an angel. Yes, there are courses like that. Approaches to Children's Lit (Cambridge), for instance. A colleague did that. Let's see what happens. Thanks for the talk.
999tigger
Report 5 months ago
999tigger,

You're an angel. Yes, there are courses like that. Approaches to Children's Lit (Cambridge), for instance. A colleague did that. Let's see what happens. Thanks for the talk.
It seems one sort of degree will help you and another you will be out of your depth.
If you want to continue on your current path then knowing how to teach it at the level of your pupil is better than being able to write degree level essays.
You should have already bought the book I linked to check content for reassurance if nothing else. Have fun.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.41%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (68)
28.45%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (91)
38.08%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.55%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.51%

Watched Threads