Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Even though am leaning morely towards buying a laptop, should i buy a pc or laptop? See i prefer the easy use of PC and it costs less to get a good one. But everyone is telling me to buy a laptop as it's easier to move around. Any reason why i should buy a laptop other than moving it around ?

LAPTOPS
    which laptop should i buy?
    Am looking for something that is cost effecttive and yet has good spec. Want to spend around 300 to 600. Am not a laptop gamer, but since i wont be having any console for sometime I just might want to try out games on it. Engineering course, so CAD and other programes need to run smoothly. Something like
    http://www.acer.co.uk/public/page4.d...&crc=676851905

I like the screen size and the hard drive. Its got intergrated webcam and HD dvd drive. 2 GB ram. Comes with windows vista hoem premium. Just dont like how it looks plus read a review about its dodgy keyboard.

Technical comments on this one would be appreciated plus few other suggestions.

thanx in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hey laptops are good especially if you are a student, but if you're not going to take it out much or use it in a place other than your desk, you might aswell buy a desktop especially since you prefer it! However, if you do want a laptop at good prices, you could check this website:

www.laptopsdirect.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are better I think. You can get laptops that are powerful these days, so there is no advantage having a PC unless you're a gamer, in which case it's better to get a PC as you can get better specs for less money and the sound is better; you can buy a good soundcard for a PC and it makes it sound awesome if you're a gamer or a music fan.

ReputationRep:
    As you're not worried about games, having a laptop as a primary machine isn't much of an issue. Although the argument of 'easier to move around' loses some merit when you're talking 17" laptops. The battery life on them normally isn't that hot, it'll weigh a reasonable amount, and the size quite possibly wouldn't make it practical to use in lectures (although you may not want to do that anyway, I have no idea). But at least it would be reasonably practical to take home with you during breaks and stuff I guess.

As for the laptop itself, it looks fine for the sort of things you want to do. If you're wanting suggestions for other models to check out, I'd suggest the Dell Vostro. You have to go through the small & medium business site to get to those, individuals can still order them fine though.

Personally I'm taking a desktop (in a mATX case for ease of taking back and forth during breaks), a file server, and a netbook (Eee or MSI Wind/rebranded version of those) as I want all my storage with me and a PC capable of playing games decently.

(Original post by student_s)

www.laptopsdirect.co.uk
    Be careful, the bad reviews outweigh the good.

OP I got a laptop recently after having a desktop all my life.

Most of the day I have it sitting in one place being powered solely by mains. It's fine, the screen is big enough so I don't mind.

The perks come when you just feel like sitting downstairs or outside with the computer. Plus, moving into accommodation will definitely be easier as well as doing studenty stuff!

So the issue really is: what's your budget?

ReputationRep:
    They are a proper company though, if something happens or there is a fault with the laptop they will replace it! I bought a laptop from there last year and it's still working well!

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend a laptop with a dual core processor (or higher) as graphical software can be pretty intense. A lot come with dual core now anyways...

And also with a half decent graphics card which would benefit CAD.

You can definitely get that in the price range you said.

Also..

If you enjoy graphics work in general within ur computer aided design, i would think about a Macbook.
    Dont be scared of using Mac operating system. if u get stuck or have some software that isnt compatible, you can run both windows and OSX on the machine, either through Bootcamp, or virtually through Parallels or VMWare Fusion.
    You can also get student discount on Apple products by visiting the student website.

Any questions, just ask...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Signor Optimist)
    Even though am leaning morely towards buying a laptop, should i buy a pc or laptop? See i prefer the easy use of PC and it costs less to get a good one. But everyone is telling me to buy a laptop as it's easier to move around. Any reason why i should buy a laptop other than moving it around ?

LAPTOPS
    which laptop should i buy?
    Am looking for something that is cost effecttive and yet has good spec. Want to spend around 300 to 600. Am not a laptop gamer, but since i wont be having any console for sometime I just might want to try out games on it. Engineering course, so CAD and other programes need to run smoothly. Something like
    http://www.acer.co.uk/public/page4.d...&crc=676851905

I like the screen size and the hard drive. Its got intergrated webcam and HD dvd drive. 2 GB ram. Comes with windows vista hoem premium. Just dont like how it looks plus read a review about its dodgy keyboard.

Technical comments on this one would be appreciated plus few other suggestions.

thanx in advance.
    try somethin else , acer does not get good reviews, try dell, much mor reliable. Look at dell inspiron 1525 which costs just under 400 pounds.

ReputationRep:
    So I see not many here are acer fans. Lets look into Dell then,

Dell vostro series seem good. Am willing to spend upto 500 pounds for 17' with 2 GB ram and hard drive bigger than 100GB. Top graphics and other things are a bonus.

Thanx and help is very much appreciated.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.