Turn on thread page Beta

LIVE NOW: Obama speech- Your views watch

Announcements

The Democratic Party nominee for the the White House, Barack Obama, is making his acceptance speech at a mass rally, as the party's convention in Denver reaches its climax. Send us your views.

In a break with tradition Mr Obama is not giving the speech in the convention hall but in a nearby football stadium - home of the Denver Broncos.

Tens of thousands of Democrats are packed into the stadium to watch the speech.

Mr Obama's advisors say the choice of venue is intended to be inclusive, but critics say it could come across as arrogance.

The event comes exactly 45 years since Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech.

Are you in Denver at the stadium or watching the speech at home or with friends elsewhere? What is your reaction to his speech? Is it a good idea for Mr Obama to make the acceptance speech at the stadium?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)

ReputationRep:
    He's amazing. hope he becomes the next president. I just watched the sppeech all live right not. and now Im off to bed now tho but...

go -O-B-A-M-A-!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    why do u give a ****

ReputationRep:
    He rocked it!

ReputationRep:
    He's just so charismatic...he could be talking about almost anything and you'd be so enthralled!

Makes me slightly weary of him if I'm honest though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdragonthegreat)
    why do u give a ****
    Probably because the person who gets elected to the Office is going to be a major player on world affairs. Being that we're all part of the world, it's logical.

ReputationRep:
    Very powerful speech. The ball is very much in McCain's court now.

I am concerned that he seemed to have very little explanation as to how he is going to fund the changes he wants to make though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shyopstv)
    Very powerful speech. The ball is very much in McCain's court now.

I am concerned that he seemed to have very little explanation as to how he is going to fund the changes he wants to make though.

Yeah you're right, and there were some pretty crazy promises. 95% of all middle-class Americans will get a tax break? The US will be independent of Middle Eastern oil by 2018??

You can't argue that he's an amazing orator though. And I genuinely believe he wants to achieve everything he is saying. In other words, it looks like he's got his heart in it.

But maybe he's just playing me like everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    He is too perfect.....there is something about him i dont like, no one can be that perfect
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    He didn't really play to his biggest strengths - it was more prose that poetry.

ReputationRep:
    I want him to win SO MUCH!

Anyone would be better than McCain..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choupinet)

:p: You have spared us Cameron; well done!

And being a Conservative and all, shouldn't you be on McCain's side?

Anyway, of course I'm backing Obama! And the Barackropolis was cool! :cool: (For anyone that's interested [i.e. no one], they were Doric columns.)

ReputationRep:
    Obama Mania never ceases to amaze me; dude has lied on numerous occassions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)
    Obama Mania never ceases to amaze me; dude has lied on numerous occassions.
    Who hasn't? :eek:

Anyway, what did he lie about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)

Anyway, of course I'm backing Obama! And the Barackropolis was cool! :cool: (For anyone that's interested [i.e. no one], they were Doric columns.)

how is he going to pay for everything outlined in his speech?

ReputationRep:

I think the conservatives would probably (or secretly) support obama who is fairly conservative himself. McCain is just an old man who is using 'expereince' and his military service to get voted in, and he's white and 'american'. I think obama is 100x better than this no matter what he says today.

ReputationRep:

I'm glad to be of service in removing my Cameron 'avatar' and instead having something else I like - Plato!

And well you may be tempted to say I should be a McCainer but there are many reasons why I dont like him. I rather disagree with Cameron on McCain support, I more empathise with Boris's plumping for Obama.

Also the Doric Column backdrop with Obama has vindicated my decision to like him! Especially when he adopts a Ciceronian manner of speech.

I suppose I could quote two reasons (of many!) for my support of Obama over McCain.

1. The aforementioned Classicalness of Obama.

2. I'd really prefer anyone except an irascible (cf. outbursts and swearing even at his own wife), war-scarred old man to be in the White House and, in a crisis, able to use Nuclear Power. His potential knee-jerk reactions would be shameful ('Bomb theeeem').

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choupinet)

Eurgh McCain.

ReputationRep:
    Who hasn't? :eek:

Anyway, what did he lie about?
    Of course, but I don't agree with how people are putting him up on a pedestal just because he always talks about "change"

Well the first to spring to mind is his open lie on one of his speeches in an open-forum question session where he says he "isn't a member of the CFR"...even though he clearly has always been affiliated, and even on the CFR's own website is said to be a MEMBER. That affects a whole heap of his Policies.

For now Barack will do, but the Obama Mania is a joke...I want to see what "change" he brings in his term if he is elected.

Interesting website RE McCain:
    http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjoh...ldofmccain.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeSiFiEd)

Well the first to spring to mind is his open lie on one of his speeches in an open-forum question session where he says he "isn't a member of the CFR"...even though he clearly has always been affiliated, and even on the CFR's own website is said to be a MEMBER. That affects a whole heap of his Policies.
    Not quite.

Indeed Obama does not admit he is part of the CFR (Council on Foreign Relations) but the CFR does not list him as a member.

Obama is a member of the senate committee on foreign relations, it is not the same thing. He has spoken to the CFR though of course...

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.