The Student Room Group

Are Online A-Level/Diploma Courses worth it?

I'm going to be studying Music at University this September, but I've always regretted not taking English or HIstory as an A-level due to taking a BTEC at college instead.

Music is the career choice for me, but having a backup is super important so...

1. Is it possible to take on a Degree plus another type of course at the same time? In terms of time scales, stress levels etc.

2. Are online A-Level/Diploma courses worth it? Or are there some alternatives people would pick to learn a subject as a 'back-up' plan?

Hopefully, this makes sense... I love learning so to be able to also get some sort of qualification for another few subjects I'm passionate about would be pretty cool
Reply 1
In regards to the first question, I dont really know the answer to that. I dont think its impossible but it just depends on the type of person you are and your circumstances but you probably already know that.

As for the second question, I just finished an Access course in Maths and Sciences which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was partly online due to the pandemic and I'll be honest, I absolutely hated every second of it lol, probably because of the significant change but other than that it was really good. If you can, I'd recommend doing the Access course face to face, its easier to stay intouch with your tutors and there's more accountability too.

I also studied Alevel Maths, Economics, Politics and Geography. Alevels is a different ball game and is much harder that Access courses. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easy 10 being hard) an access course is around 7/10 as long as you stay organised, revise, and stick to deadline. Alevels are a 17/10 :/ not even kidding. personally i would never do alevels online even if you paid me, its just too hard especially if you're doing it at home alone. If you're passionate about and you do your own research on course content then you could have a completely different experience to me.

remember, this is just my personal opinion based on my own experience loool
I hope it helped
Original post by Tabbs.x
In regards to the first question, I dont really know the answer to that. I dont think its impossible but it just depends on the type of person you are and your circumstances but you probably already know that.

As for the second question, I just finished an Access course in Maths and Sciences which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was partly online due to the pandemic and I'll be honest, I absolutely hated every second of it lol, probably because of the significant change but other than that it was really good. If you can, I'd recommend doing the Access course face to face, its easier to stay intouch with your tutors and there's more accountability too.

I also studied Alevel Maths, Economics, Politics and Geography. Alevels is a different ball game and is much harder that Access courses. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being easy 10 being hard) an access course is around 7/10 as long as you stay organised, revise, and stick to deadline. Alevels are a 17/10 :/ not even kidding. personally i would never do alevels online even if you paid me, its just too hard especially if you're doing it at home alone. If you're passionate about and you do your own research on course content then you could have a completely different experience to me.

remember, this is just my personal opinion based on my own experience loool
I hope it helped

Cheers for the insight! From others I heard A Levels were crazy hard which I guess swayed by decision not to do them years ago. I'll look into Access - it would be nice to grab some more qualifications while I can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending