The Student Room Group

Jobs for teenagers

I'm 14 years old and I want to get a job to earn some money, but I just can't seem to be able to find anywhere that actually hires 14 year olds. Anyone help me out here??
Honestly, I faced the same dilemma as you when I was your age. Sorry to say, but its virtually impossible to find a decent job at your age. You could try paper rounds, but the pay isn't great. Do you really need money? If it's urgent, you could try asking around local newspaper agents and hope that they are looking to hire...

I genuinely could not find a job until I turned 16, cause most places require your national insurance number. If you could hang in a little longer, then I would suggest doing that. To me, spending time on paper rounds isn't worth the small amount of money they give you.
Reply 2
You also need to consider the fact there is a recession right now and a surplus of highly qualified workers who have been cut off their old jobs and will accept any job and pay right now. It’ll be really hard for you to find a job. You won’t find many employers happy to take on 14 year olds, even 16-18 year olds at that.
Reply 3
How would you feel about leafleting your neighbourhood to let people know that a hard-working conscientious polite 14 year old is available for odd jobs like mowing the lawn, car washing, garden tidy-ups? You could ask your home owning friends what tedious tasks they would like to contract out.
Reply 4
When I was your age I would make things and then sell them at fairs every Christmas and summer but obviously that is currently quite hard. See if you could work at a tuition centre and tutor primary school kids as I also did that. If you do get a job, however, your pay may not be as great as you expect as you are young. It is also very unlikely they're willing to hire in these current circumstances.

This is what I would recommend:
ask family members if you could work for them.
make things and sell them on depop - or sell old clothes/items you no longer use if you like this then you could even start your own mini business
do odd jobs around your neighbourhood such as dog walking (someone else suggested this)
Original post by EdG29
I'm 14 years old and I want to get a job to earn some money, but I just can't seem to be able to find anywhere that actually hires 14 year olds. Anyone help me out here??

99% of places require you to be 16 to get a job there.
Your best bet is a paper round.
just wait till your 16 honestly its kinda hard for a 14 year old to get a job if it isnt from ur parents
It's really difficult to get a job when your 14, due to things such as insurance and the law.
Plus so many adults have been made unemployed and will be looking for work and therefore it's going to be very competitive

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending