OS Interviews Watch

Loeweloewe
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well application time is just around the corner. I was just wondering how hard it would be to clinch an interview as an international applicant? I am applying post-results with 38 IB points plus a good PS:p:

Imagining i get the interview, anyone could help shed light on how an OS interview is like? I have prior experience in the language already.

Swayum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd imagine your chances of getting an interview would be quite high at Oxbridge. What do you mean by OS?
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Loeweloewe)
Well application time is just around the corner. I was just wondering how hard it would be to clinch an interview as an international applicant? I am applying post-results with 38 IB points plus a good PS:p:
TBH, 38 IB points is at the very bottom end of the range for which Oxford make offers (don't know about Cambridge), so an interview is possible but don't be surprised if they don't interview you. The PS may or may not be "good" but it doesn't make that much difference. What subject are you applying for? If it's one with a pre-interview test, a good test result might swing it.

DtS
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
OS is Oriental Studies abbreviated.

Im applying for Chinese and am secretly praying for a pre-interview test.
Derek_the_Sheep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Ah. I thought you meant an OverSeas interview. Oriental studies don't do pre-interview tests, but:
"Candidates are required to submit two pieces of school or college written work (preferably of different kinds). These should be essays or similar pieces of work that have been marked with teachers’ corrections."

How the tutors judge these will be quite a big factor in your application.
"Once we have received your application and accompanying written work, and if we have assessed it favourably, you will be called to Oxford for interview in early December."
(http://www.orinst.ox.ac.uk/html/gene...dmissions.html)

DtS
SunderX
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
38 points is around the minimum offer a Cambridge college would usually give too. It's more important to have 7's in your HL subjects though, especially those that related to your proposed degree.
deadgenius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OS is Oriental Studies abbreviated.

Im applying for Chinese and am secretly praying for a pre-interview test.
Ah. Oriental Studies. And there was me thinking it was Old Skool. Shame it isn't, actually.
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
(Original post by SunderX)
38 points is around the minimum offer a Cambridge college would usually give too. It's more important to have 7's in your HL subjects though, especially those that related to your proposed degree.
7 in HL Economics and 7 in HL Chinese.

Just wondering if they would listen to my appeal against my HL English marks (of which I scored 5). I know it sounds lame and overused but the 5 was indeed out of character. I scored 7 in my 2006 finals, and 6s in my 2007 mid-years and preliminaries. I will be explaining this to them in a separate letter. Do they usually listen to such appeals? Just wondering.

What do they usually ask for Oriental Studies interviews by the way
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
7 in HL Economics and 7 in HL Chinese.

Just wondering if they would listen to my appeal against my HL English marks (of which I scored 5). I know it sounds lame and overused but the 5 was indeed out of character. I scored 7 in my 2006 finals, and 6s in my 2007 mid-years and preliminaries. I will be explaining this to them in a separate letter. Do they usually listen to such appeals? Just wondering.

What do they usually ask for Oriental Studies interviews by the way
I dunno, it's worth a try if there were extenuating circumstances in the exam. IB English HL is notoriously temperamental - I was slated for a 7 too but got a 6 despite having 7's in all sections apart from the written commentary, which I scored a 4?!? even though I thought that paper went the best.

Fortunately, My offer was 7/7/6 for Math/Phy/Eng, so I didn't bother getting a remark to top my score to 45.

7/7/6 is the standard IB offer I believe, but exceptions can be made.
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
hmph. disgusting 5.

it could have so been 776 dammitttttt
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
well not to prematurely kill off this thread

any other views on this matter? and also could anyone enlighten me on the type of questions asked at an oriental studies interview :P thanks
henryt
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Essentially, it depends on your essays, in my opinion. They'd have to be good. Excellent preferably!

I study Maths, so I can't say exactly what sort of questions you might get, but my friend got in for Chinese, and I remember her saying that she was just asked to look at some Chinese characters, and try and guess what they mean, to see how she could think or something, and then she was asked how she thought she could cope with different grammar and script, and she used Greek and Latin GCSEs as examples. She then told them about her trip to China and how she was interested in the culture etc. She'd already learnt a little Japanese and Chinese too (like once a week after school), and had a short conversation about how she was hungry and how she'd like to eat Dim Sum in Chinese, but I doubt this has much effect on her offer chances, as it was literally 'It says here that you speak a little already through learning after school. What sort of level are you at now?', so possibly testing how fast she learns, rather than her actual Chinese!
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
(Original post by henryt)
she was just asked to look at some Chinese characters, and try and guess what they mean, to see how she could think or something, and then she was asked how she thought she could cope with different grammar and script, and she used Greek and Latin GCSEs as examples.
ok but what they would they do with someone who has prior experience in the language?

i have heard that they dont really like that even (i.e prior experience). However, on their webbie they said that they do not mind candidates with experience in the language, family background, school or otherwise.:woo:
Ghassan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well you should expect that at some point in the interview they will just start and have a little talk in Chinese with you Thats how it was during my interview. Yet it is rather probable that they will test your general ability to learn languages. I dont think it is allowed here to post the extact questions, but they just made up a language with certain grammar rules and i had to apply these rules to certain sentences(they were in english of course but with different grammar rules).
I think with OS it is even more likely than with sciences etc that your interview will be heavily based on your PS and your written work. My first interview was almost completely based on my PS/written work.
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
thanks thats the most comprehensive answer ive gotten on this by far
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go for the application! You've got nothing to lose other than a few hours of your time.
Loeweloewe
Rep:
?
when will the interviews most likely be? im an international.
Zhen Lin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Interviews in Cambridge are usually in early December. Overseas interviews are usually earlier... I think it's in October, but I forget.
SunderX
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
when will the interviews most likely be? im an international.
Overseas applications have to be submitted earlier than usual, something like October 10th? Check the admissions website.

They won't expect you to go to Cambridge for the interview, but they will have a testing tour to major cities in SEA, including cities in India, China (I did it in Shanghai), Singapore, etc. They might hit tokyo, the list of locations is on a document somewhere on the website.

Otherwise, a phone interview might occur.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1529)
79.3%
Leave (399)
20.7%

Watched Threads