economics + politics or international business, finance and economics

Watch this thread
anna875
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,
so I am supposed to start IBFE (international business, finance and economics) at uni of Manchester in September whoever I started to have some doubts about the program and I am considering switching to economics and politics. But I am unsure whether this is a right choice. I am not sure which degree gives me better career prospects. I definitely won't be working in UK (I am an international student) and I am unsure in what field I want to work. I kind of started thinking about public affairs/policy, or maybe marketing and media or pr. I just don't know. Oh, and I definitely want to do masters afterwards. What do you guys think

which degree gives me better career prospects with great pay etc?

thanks for the help!
nellybelly29
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, I'm not sure there's much of a difference between the two. Both have economics as part of the degree, so as long as that's something you think you'd be interested in going into in the future or as doing for your master's, then both will give you fine prospects. The difference will be what you want to focus on. Are you super interested in IB, finance, and econ and really want to get a breadth of knowledge in those areas? Or would you prefer learning about politics as well as econ?

Essentially, in my (albeit this is personal to me haha) view, I see the two programs as being very similar if you decide to pursue econ in the future. I think it depends on what kinds of other things you want to be learning alongside your econ education.
anna875
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by nellybelly29)
Honestly, I'm not sure there's much of a difference between the two. Both have economics as part of the degree, so as long as that's something you think you'd be interested in going into in the future or as doing for your master's, then both will give you fine prospects. The difference will be what you want to focus on. Are you super interested in IB, finance, and econ and really want to get a breadth of knowledge in those areas? Or would you prefer learning about politics as well as econ?

Essentially, in my (albeit this is personal to me haha) view, I see the two programs as being very similar if you decide to pursue econ in the future. I think it depends on what kinds of other things you want to be learning alongside your econ education.
Thanks for the answer! I am not sure what I actually want to do after uni, I want to study the degree which gives me more options for my future. I always wanted to run some kind of business or work in this field but at the same time I am interested in politics and international relations etc.
nellybelly29
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
It's quite early to know what you want to do after uni, after all, a lot of uni is about exploring and figuring all that out! I would see what your options are for switching, for example, if you stay with IBFE, can you take a politics module that might allow you to switch if you find you're really interested in that? Look around at what all your various pathways and options are. But overall, it sounds like you're definitely invested in economics so that's good. No matter which you choose, you'll be doing econ.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
18.18%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (22)
33.33%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.58%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.52%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.61%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
21.21%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
3.03%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.55%

Watched Threads