The Student Room Group

Transition/Jump from A Level English Lit to Studying English Lit at Uni

What's the jump/transition like from a level to to uni for english lit.
Also, can anyone recommend any good resources/websites for english lit at uni alongside and general tips/tricks

Thanks in advance
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
I can't advise on the difference between A-level and university studies as I skipped college. I imagine the jump is the same as with any subject, with a shift from exam-cramming and fairly superficial coverage to more in-depth, independent research. I did an MA in English literature after studying journalism at undergrad. I found it tough because I wasn't clued up on a lot of literary theory. However, I was surprised by how diverse the MA was. I wrote essays on everything from the poetry of WB Yeates, to themes in science fiction, travel in the medieval world and even tried my hand at some screenwriting. I guess a lot will depend on which institution you go to, but in general university study is far less restrictive than college/high school.

In terms of resources, I'd be very surprised if the Ryan and Rivkin lit theory anthology wasn't on your reading list.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Also how many contact hours do/did you roughly have in your first year? (I know this may vary from uni to uni also also it may be different due to covid 19, but was just trying to gauge/ascertain an average)
Reply 3
Original post by JoshTDUK
I can't advise on the difference between A-level and university studies as I skipped college. I imagine the jump is the same as with any subject, with a shift from exam-cramming and fairly superficial coverage to more in-depth, independent research. I did an MA in English literature after studying journalism at undergrad. I found it tough because I wasn't clued up on a lot of literary theory. However, I was surprised by how diverse the MA was. I wrote essays on everything from the poetry of WB Yeates, themes in science fiction, travel in the medieval world and even tried my hand at some screenwriting. I guess a lot will depend on which institution you go to, but in general university study is far less restrictive than college/high school.

In terms of resources, I'd be very surprised if the Ryan and Rivkin lit theory anthology wasn't on your reading list.

Did you use a laptop for your studies, if so what, and would you recommend it. I'm looking to buy one for uni
Reply 4
Do you have any helpful resources/websites etc or any general tips and tricks which would be helpful for when I go to uni in September for English lit
Reply 5
I've never head or Ryan and Rivkin Lit Theory. I'll research them before I get to uni so I'm ahead and have a bit of an understanding. Even if its not on my course any literary theory is always helpful!
Original post by Joy L
I've never head or Ryan and Rivkin Lit Theory. I'll research them before I get to uni so I'm ahead and have a bit of an understanding. Even if its not on my course any literary theory is always helpful!

Ah I think JoshTDUK means the Literary Theory Anthology edited by Julie Rivkin and Michael Ryan: https://www.amazon.com/Literary-Theory-Anthology-Julie-Rivkin/dp/1405106964
Reply 7
Original post by Hyperbolit
Ah I think JoshTDUK means the Literary Theory Anthology edited by Julie Rivkin and Michael Ryan: https://www.amazon.com/Literary-Theory-Anthology-Julie-Rivkin/dp/1405106964

Perfect, thx you, I'll have a look into it.

Does anyone have any good websites/resources they could recommend for first year undergrad english lit students or any tips/tricks in general?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending