Coping with bad feelings

Watch
pepsimaxcherry
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey

Any tips on how to cope with feeling down?

i just feel really overwhelmed and sad. my life is a bit rocky right now and things just seem to fall apart.

i know this sounds like attention seeking but I just really needed to vent my feelings.

just need some advice on dealing with these emotions :/
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey I've moved this to the mental health forum,

Do you know what's causing these feelings? Can you cut any of the causes out of our life? (toxic people, bad habits etc.)
Sorry that you're feeling like this
stillcrying
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello there! It’s not attention seeking; you’re perfectly okay to ask for someone to talk to, to listen to you. I’ve found journaling is great as you can write down whatever you’re thinking at that moment and leave it on that piece of paper and it tends to make me feel better afterwards as I’ve got it out. But only I read my journal, therefore I’m not hit with the feeling that I’m ‘attention seeking.’ But if you need someone to actually talk to, that’s fine too - that’s why I’m here!

My life has been rocky too, and I’m only 17. I lost my mum to cancer 2 days before Christmas in 2015, I was 13 at the time. It’s really taught me that there are always people worse off than you in the world. As odd as that sounds, it’s true. There are people in the world without this device you’re using to write this post on, people without any family. Heck, I’m lucky I still have a dad and brother who I love dearly.

What is it exactly that is making you down might I ask? It’s best to know the problem so you can tackle it. I don’t need any details, just useful to get a gist you know?!

Also, it’s okay to be sad. There’s not point fighting it. I tried to put all my emotions about my mum behind me and it resulted in them building up and up until I eventually couldn’t take it and broke down last year. It’s okay to cry, in fact it’s great because you’re letting out all your emotions! I love to sing when I’m down, music is what makes me happy and I feel like I let out my emotions when I sing! You could try it too?! :^_^:
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
Hey I've moved this to the mental health forum,

Do you know what's causing these feelings? Can you cut any of the causes out of our life? (toxic people, bad habits etc.)
Sorry that you're feeling like this
hi, sorry for putting it in the wrong thread

idk my relationship fell apart and I came to TSR for advice and it sort of backfired.

my responses to people came across rude and it was unintentional but despite apologising, nothing got better.

just don’t quite know how to deal with it haha
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by stillcrying)
Hello there! It’s not attention seeking; you’re perfectly okay to ask for someone to talk to, to listen to you. I’ve found journaling is great as you can write down whatever you’re thinking at that moment and leave it on that piece of paper and it tends to make me feel better afterwards as I’ve got it out. But only I read my journal, therefore I’m not hit with the feeling that I’m ‘attention seeking.’ But if you need someone to actually talk to, that’s fine too - that’s why I’m here!

My life has been rocky too, and I’m only 17. I lost my mum to cancer 2 days before Christmas in 2015, I was 13 at the time. It’s really taught me that there are always people worse off than you in the world. As odd as that sounds, it’s true. There are people in the world without this device you’re using to write this post on, people without any family. Heck, I’m lucky I still have a dad and brother who I love dearly.

What is it exactly that is making you down might I ask? It’s best to know the problem so you can tackle it. I don’t need any details, just useful to get a gist you know?!

Also, it’s okay to be sad. There’s not point fighting it. I tried to put all my emotions about my mum behind me and it resulted in them building up and up until I eventually couldn’t take it and broke down last year. It’s okay to cry, in fact it’s great because you’re letting out all your emotions! I love to sing when I’m down, music is what makes me happy and I feel like I let out my emotions when I sing! You could try it too?! :^_^:
hi!

sorry to hear about your mum

my relationship basically fell apart and I don’t quite know what to do now. he was my only distraction and then only person I felt I could be myself around and now it’s gone.

idk it all sounds silly when I type it haha
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by pepsimaxcherry)
hi!

my relationship basically fell apart and I don’t quite know what to do now. he was my only distraction and then only person I felt I could be myself around and now it’s gone.

Thank you, I appreciate that.

I am sorry to hear that you two have fallen out. I haven’t been in a relationship yet so I don’t quite know how to deal with these sorts of emotions BUT do you have any hobbies that you can distract yourself with? So things you did before you were in this relationship that brought you joy?! I’m sure you were happy before your relationship no?

If it’s not possible that you can talk it out and be friends/somewhat civil, then try to not think about him. There will be people that come and go in your life. That is life unfortunately. You will meet people in the future that share interests with you, don’t worry. What are your interests? Perhaps we share some?!

And you’re not being silly honestly!
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi!

And it’s always best to be yourself around people, you can get a feel for who are going to be your true friends then and in my experience, people actually like me because I’m not afraid to be my quirky self. Have you talked to your family or any close friends about how you’re feeling?
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?

I am sorry to hear that you two have fallen out. I haven’t been in a relationship yet so I don’t quite know how to deal with these sorts of emotions BUT do you have any hobbies that you can distract yourself with? So things you did before you were in this relationship that brought you joy?! I’m sure you were happy before your relationship no?

If it’s not possible that you can talk it out and be friends/somewhat civil, then try to not think about him. There will be people that come and go in your life. That is life unfortunately. You will meet people in the future that share interests with you, don’t worry. What are your interests? Perhaps we share some?!

Thank you

we are on good terms, it’s a whole story ahha. we are probably going to get back together but I need him to prove to me that he wants me - it’s all a bit confusing.

yeah I like to draw so I’ve been doing that! i guess it’s just because my previous relationship was so horrible and toxic and I just thought that this time everything would be good and now it’s not, and idk how to cope with that.
laurawatt
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi, sorry for putting it in the wrong thread

idk my relationship fell apart and I came to TSR for advice and it sort of backfired.

my responses to people came across rude and it was unintentional but despite apologising, nothing got better.

just don’t quite know how to deal with it haha
No worries, that's what we're here for

Oh, it's quite hard to convey/understand the tone in which people mean to write in sometimes online - i find myself putting a load of TSRmojis in my writing just so people know exactly what i mean
Remember that some people like to stir things up on relationships posts on purpose just for the "fun" of it (not that it's fun or constructive at all for the person on the receiving end) - it sucks that it didn't answer anything for you
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey,

I hope you're okay, maybe indulge in things you like to do.

Is there anything that seems therapeutic to you? I.e reading, watching a movie, a little bit of selfcare, or anything at all. I find when I sort of take a step back to breathe, doing something which puts my mind at ease such as reading or writing really helps!

I am sorry for what happened, I hope you find comfort and solace!

Hugs and peace
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by laurawatt)
No worries, that's what we're here for

Oh, it's quite hard to convey/understand the tone in which people mean to write in sometimes online - i find myself putting a load of TSRmojis in my writing just so people know exactly what i mean
Remember that some people like to stir things up on relationships posts on purpose just for the "fun" of it (not that it's fun or constructive at all for the person on the receiving end) - it sucks that it didn't answer anything for you
yeah it just was taken too far I think haha. it’s okay though, i can handle it haha!
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
Hey,

I hope you're okay, maybe indulge in things you like to do.

Is there anything that seems therapeutic to you? I.e reading, watching a movie, a little bit of selfcare, or anything at all. I find when I sort of take a step back to breathe, doing something which puts my mind at ease such as reading or writing really helps!

I am sorry for what happened, I hope you find comfort and solace!

Hugs and peace
hi!

yes I love to draw so I’m doing a lot of that
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum Ik this comment isn't directed at me but, I'm sorry for your loss.

I can't imagine what it's like to lose a parent ;/.

I hope you're okay too x
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you

we are on good terms, it’s a whole story ahha. we are probably going to get back together but I need him to prove to me that he wants me - it’s all a bit confusing.

yeah I like to draw so I’ve been doing that! i guess it’s just because my previous relationship was so horrible and toxic and I just thought that this time everything would be good and now it’s not, and idk how to cope with that.
I’m glad to hear you’re on good terms. Sometimes is it healthy to take a break in a relationship - allows each person to really think about themselves and what they want. It’s good you are doing this just be careful in future that’s all.

Unfortunately I cannot draw for toffee, but I have a lot of respect for those that can! Drawings are beautiful :blush:

Sorry to hear about your past relationship. I’m sure all relationships have their ups and downs. I don’t think any can be perfect, just some better than others. You seem quite mature in how you’re handling this so *fingers crossed* it’ll all turn out okay and you can be happy again!!
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
I’m glad to hear you’re on good terms. Sometimes is it healthy to take a break in a relationship - allows each person to really think about themselves and what they want. It’s good you are doing this just be careful in future that’s all.

Unfortunately I cannot draw for toffee, but I have a lot of respect for those that can! Drawings are beautiful :blush:

Sorry to hear about your past relationship. I’m sure all relationships have their ups and downs. I don’t think any can be perfect, just some better than others. You seem quite mature in how you’re handling this so *fingers crossed* it’ll all turn out okay and you can be happy again!!
haha thank you! I really appreciate your kind words
Tayaa8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey

Any tips on how to cope with feeling down?

i just feel really overwhelmed and sad. my life is a bit rocky right now and things just seem to fall apart.

i know this sounds like attention seeking but I just really needed to vent my feelings.

just need some advice on dealing with these emotions :/
i'm really glad you are asking for help, because talking really helps. I feel the same way too sometimes, and in those times that i feel sad and lonely, I resort to prayer and spending time with God. Reading scriptures from the Bible really gives me strength too. I'm not sure if you are religious or not, but it's worth a try. It is a nice feeling knowing that there's God, who's always ready to listen to us. I pray everything gets better for you, God Bless you
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)
Aw, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum Ik this comment isn't directed at me but, I'm sorry for your loss.

I can't imagine what it's like to lose a parent ;/.

I hope you're okay too x
Thank you very much for those kind words. I wasn’t asking for sympathy at all, I just wanted to let pepsimaxcherry know that they aren’t alone in people dealing with hardship.

If there’s anything you can take from this post, I hope it’s that there are always people worse off than you and that you should be happy for any joy there is in your life because it’s often missing from somebody else’s. That may come across a bit blunt, I’m a very blunt person haha but I hope you get what I mean
pepsimaxcherry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tayaa8)
i'm really glad you are asking for help, because talking really helps. I feel the same way too sometimes, and in those times that i feel sad and lonely, I resort to prayer and spending time with God. Reading scriptures from the Bible really gives me strength too. I'm not sure if you are religious or not, but it's worth a try. It is a nice feeling knowing that there's God, who's always ready to listen to us. I pray everything gets better for you, God Bless you
hi!

thank you for your kind words!

im not religious, however i always admire the people who believe in God. i think it’s so comforting to believe there’s someone looking out for you! i do wish I believed sometimes but i don’t haha.

I’ll give it a go though!
Tayaa8
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

i just wanted to say that you are so amazing and brave. Also, your advice is so, so good. I really pray for your happiness, God Bless you
stillcrying
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Also I love your profile picture, it’s so cute!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (129)
24.02%
Better than expected (117)
21.79%
Worse than expected (291)
54.19%

Watched Threads