indecisiveel2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m pretty sure I’ve developed anxiety. The symptoms I’ve recognised are: insomnia, heart palpitations, negative thoughts, heavy breathing during attacks and obviously crying a lot. I don’t know how to deal with it.
I’ve called Samaritans a couple of times and talked to my dad and both have helped but can’t change my situation.

All of this has been triggered by my poor uni choice. I don’t really want to go but I also can’t take a gap year coz I haven’t planned one and it’ll be a waste of a year. I really don’t know what to do I feel like I’m stuck and I can’t stop thinking about it as in two months I’ll have moved out.

I don’t see a good way out.
Advertisement
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
See your GP as soon as you can and tell them as much as you can.

In all sincerity, I would strongly encourage prioritising your health before even thinking about university. You can go to university anytime; you're not running out of time and you won't be left behind or considered unintelligent.

You need to get a handle on this before it gets a handle on you. Focus on sorting your anxiety, heart palpitations, insomnia, etc. If it comes to taking a gap year; that's not so bad. You can game, watch movies and TV shows, and reapply for a course/uni you like. :fluffy:

Have faith in yourself and prioritise your health.
indecisiveel2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
See your GP as soon as you can and tell them as much as you can.

In all sincerity, I would strongly encourage prioritising your health before even thinking about university. You can go to university anytime; you're not running out of time and you won't be left behind or considered unintelligent.

You need to get a handle on this before it gets a handle on you. Focus on sorting your anxiety, heart palpitations, insomnia, etc. If it comes to taking a gap year; that's not so bad. You can game, watch movies and TV shows, and reapply for a course/uni you like. :fluffy:

Have faith in yourself and prioritise your health.
Thank you for replying. Especially because I’m going through a bit of insomnia right now, just woke up after 4 hours of sleep. Only averaging 5 hour sleep at night if not less in the last week.

A gap year could help. But even though I do want to priorities my health, at the same time I don’t want to compromise my future.

I will call the GP on Monday anyway as you have advised. I’m not sure if they can do much but I’ll give it a try anyway. I do want to get a handle on it.

I’m really feeling the running out of time aspect and I think that’s what’s especially triggering my anxiety aswell as all the uncertainty.

Do you have any other advice regarding things I can do to help/lessen anxiety? If not you have been quite helpful already so dw what you said was what I needed to hear
Advertisement
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by indecisiveel2)
Thank you for replying. Especially because I’m going through a bit of insomnia right now, just woke up after 4 hours of sleep. Only averaging 5 hour sleep at night if not less in the last week.

A gap year could help. But even though I do want to priorities my health, at the same time I don’t want to compromise my future.

I will call the GP on Monday anyway as you have advised. I’m not sure if they can do much but I’ll give it a try anyway. I do want to get a handle on it.

I’m really feeling the running out of time aspect and I think that’s what’s especially triggering my anxiety aswell as all the uncertainty.

Do you have any other advice regarding things I can do to help/lessen anxiety? If not you have been quite helpful already so dw what you said was what I needed to hear
What is your sleep like? Can't fall asleep? Can't maintain sleep? Keep waking up? Can't get sound/REM sleep and feel exhausted as if you didn't sleep for even a second? If any of the above apply, see your GP.

The thing is - if I'm being frank, do you think you can genuinely study and go to university if you're not sleeping? Honestly, if you don't get this under control now, it will get incredibly worse and it'll be something that you won't be able to reverse, potentially for the rest of your life. You really, really have to prioritise this now.

Things that I can recommend are seeing your GP as soon as possible and considering your options (medication or therapy etc). Buy lavender pillow spray and use it on your pillow every night before you go to sleep ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), stop using electronic devices an hour or two before bedtime, have a schedule where you go to bed at the same time everyday, stop consuming caffeine or anything fizzy/sugary, use the blue light thing on your phone or PC, download the app Insight Timer and listen to a guided meditation for sleep every night (until you find the one you like the most).
Last edited by Quick-use; 1 week ago
Anonnnn1111
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m pretty sure I’ve developed anxiety. The symptoms I’ve recognised are: insomnia, heart palpitations, negative thoughts, heavy breathing during attacks and obviously crying a lot. I don’t know how to deal with it.
I’ve called Samaritans a couple of times and talked to my dad and both have helped but can’t change my situation.

All of this has been triggered by my poor uni choice. I don’t really want to go but I also can’t take a gap year coz I haven’t planned one and it’ll be a waste of a year. I really don’t know what to do I feel like I’m stuck and I can’t stop thinking about it as in two months I’ll have moved out.

I don’t see a good way out.
So im not a qualified professional but im also a student & I believe you have anxiety. I know what its like because i have it diagnosed . Its the worst thing ever.
Please get help before it takes over your life. Im being honest and direct. If i could help someone even through suffering, then that’s something good & positive.

Things that lessen anxiety that might/may not work that you could try :
•Jornaling. Literally write all your worries down before bed on paper (since electrical devices are not good before bed), and see if it makes a difference.

Let me know if this works! Update me pls on whats worked what hasnt as i genuinely could do with any kind of tips right now for anxiety induced insomnia.
Advertisement
indecisiveel2
Rep:
?
What is your sleep like? Can't fall asleep? Can't maintain sleep? Keep waking up? Can't get sound/REM sleep and feel exhausted as if you didn't sleep for even a second? If any of the above apply, see your GP.

The thing is - if I'm being frank, do you think you can genuinely study and go to university if you're not sleeping? Honestly, if you don't get this under control now, it will get incredibly worse and it'll be something that you won't be able to reverse, potentially for the rest of your life. You really, really have to prioritise this now.

Things that I can recommend are seeing your GP as soon as possible and considering your options (medication or therapy etc). Buy lavender pillow spray and use it on your pillow every night before you go to sleep ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1), stop using electronic devices an hour or two before bedtime, have a schedule where you go to bed at the same time everyday, stop consuming caffeine or anything fizzy/sugary, use the blue light thing on your phone or PC, download the app Insight Timer and listen to a guided meditation for sleep every night (until you find the one you like the most).
Hi, my sleeping schedule is quite bad to start with I fall asleep late and wake up late. Although, I’ve woken up a couple of times with anxiety and like all I can think about it my uni choice and how I feel like I messed up. Then I can’t fall asleep for a long while or at all. I do reach REM sleep and have dreams most nights though. I don’t know maybe I’m overreacting and it’s not that serious as I’ve never had it before. But I did have a few nights where I couldn’t sleep at all I just stayed up all night. The heart palpitation thing also happens sometimes during the day when I start to think about the future

You’re right. I am trying to get it back under control like I managed to maintain sleep all of last night (more than 8 hours) which was nice even if I did go to sleep late.

thank you for all the advice in the third paragraph. I will probably try to get some advice from a GP. Just talking about it with people helps, I’ll try to avoid medication unless it’s really necessary, maybe something to fall asleep but nothing else. I will try all the behavioural remedies that you’ve said first, like sticking to going to sleep at the same time and not using my phone for two hours before I can to sleep and I’ll definitely download the app. I avoid caffeine and fizzy drinks etc anyway. Thank you so much for replying.
indecisiveel2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonnnn1111)
So im not a qualified professional but im also a student & I believe you have anxiety. I know what its like because i have it diagnosed . Its the worst thing ever.
Please get help before it takes over your life. Im being honest and direct. If i could help someone even through suffering, then that’s something good & positive.

Things that lessen anxiety that might/may not work that you could try :
•Jornaling. Literally write all your worries down before bed on paper (since electrical devices are not good before bed), and see if it makes a difference.

Let me know if this works! Update me pls on whats worked what hasnt as i genuinely could do with any kind of tips right now for anxiety induced insomnia.
Hi, yes I think I do too. I’m going to speak to a GP if I still feel the same by the end of this week.

I’m not sure about journaling, it might just make me think about all the negative thoughts I’ve been thinking about even more intensely, but then again I can also get them out on paper so maybe it’ll feel like a release. I’ll give it a try though tonight. Thanks.

I’ll let you know if it works and update you if I find anything that helps considerably, I’m also going to try meditation and not being on my phone for at least 1-2 hours before a bedtime target I’ll set myself . A tip I could give you is to do a word search or a puzzle on pen and paper as that tends to shift your focus on to something else and kind of makes you feel like you are more in control. I’ve tried sleep ASMR and similar kinds of YouTube videos, they didn’t really work for me. Listening to rain and waves recordings might help with the winding down aspect. That’s all the tips I’ve tried/ heard of so far .
Advertisement
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
x
x
We seem to have a small possé now. :lol:

Sincerely, though - try to buy the pillow spray I've linked and please go to bed at the same time every night (you have to be very strict about this). Find a good guided meditation for sleep on Insight Timer and use it every night as you're ready to sleep.

Let me know if you guys need any advice. My whole thing started when I was in Japan for my study abroad and I just soldiered through, and as a result, I've been unable to properly sleep in the last 5 years. I don't mean to scare you because mine was pretty extreme and I just ignored it, but you have to prioritise this now. That said, I can happily say that I have my sleep and mental health in much, much better control now. You just need to persevere and be patient. :fluffy:
indecisiveel2
Rep:
?
We seem to have a small possé now. :lol:

Sincerely, though - try to buy the pillow spray I've linked and please go to bed at the same time every night (you have to be very strict about this). Find a good guided meditation for sleep on Insight Timer and use it every night as you're ready to sleep.

Let me know if you guys need any advice. My whole thing started when I was in Japan for my study abroad and I just soldiered through, and as a result, I've been unable to properly sleep in the last 5 years. I don't mean to scare you because mine was pretty extreme and I just ignored it, but you have to prioritise this now. That said, I can happily say that I have my sleep and mental health in much, much better control now. You just need to persevere and be patient. :fluffy:
Yeah haha

Thanks for actually replying your advice has been really helpful. I’ll try to buy the lavender spray soon and am going to stop going on my phone now and listen to a guided meditation.

Oh wow! Okay I’ll try. I’m glad that you have your mental health more in control now
Advertisement
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
x
x
I thought I'd check up. How are things going for both of you?
indecisiveel2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I thought I'd check up. How are things going for both of you?
Hi thanks for checking in. So yeah I called the GP and he literally just gave me the number of this teen counselling agency which I tried to call and received no answer -_-. I’m still waking up after 5 hours or so of sleep with a mild attack- just heart beating really fast and struggling to get back to deep sleep. Also I’ve had a couple of attacks over the past few days during the day- not extreme but still put a lot of stress on my heart and mind. But have tried meditation and found a couple that helped. Still can’t detach from my phone before bed though. How are you guys?
Last edited by indecisiveel2; 3 days ago
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads