Rolex, is it worth it?

Watch
Prefect1992
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Title says it all really. I would argue that although the brand has a long history and the watches themselves are widely recognisable the brands offerings (in recent years) have been a bit lacking.... Ie a two tone sea dweller (wow) a new yachtmaster model.... why not release something inspired by the old oyster models (30's/40's)? I don't care about factory set diamonds... like seriously what's the big deal?

Also the watches themselves have gone up in price recently and keep on rising... they're no longer tool watches as such and the vintage models are also going up.

Thoughts? does anyone have a favourite watch brand?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why is this in the "TV shows" forum?
Prefect1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
It is? must be this new auto recommend function :/
Karisa96
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rolex are always worth the money.
They are the Rolls Royce of watches.
Prefect1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by Karisa96)
See, I'm honestly torn.... on one hand some of the vintage reference numbers are fairly cheap (like the 6694 and other oysterdate models) and they're pretty solidly constructed but i haven't see much innovation recently :/ there are many other microbrands/ other luxury brands with well constructed watches....
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Prefect1992)
See, I'm honestly torn.... on one hand some of the vintage reference numbers are fairly cheap (like the 6694 and other oysterdate models) and they're pretty solidly constructed but i haven't see much innovation recently :/ there are many other microbrands/ other luxury brands with well constructed watches....
True, but Rolex, still has the best name.
RaA64
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True, but Rolex, still has the best name.
True, but having a Rolex / big name brand means one would get a higher status and so be more respected by one’s peers
Prefect1992
Rep:
?
(Original post by RaA64)
True, but having a Rolex / big name brand means one would get a higher status and so be more respected by one’s peers
The 6694 and other vintage models are really well constructed, plus some of the vintage models had really avante garde designs.... look at the concentric dial air kings for example.... modern reference nos look very similar to me...
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RaA64)
Never really thought about it, in that context.
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, my phone tells the time.
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I agree! :yep:
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I agree! :yep:
Thanks Hun, hope you are well? Xc
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks Hun, hope you are well? Xc
I'm well thanks for asking. How about yourself? xx
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm good thanks, haven't heard from you for a while. Xx
RaA64
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm good thanks, haven't heard from you for a while. Xx
Can you guys please not derail the thread? I’m afraid I must remind you this is against community guidelines.
Much appreciated both of you.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At this point you buy a Rolex because it's a Rolex, not because it's inherently better than other watches. They've not done anything particularly innovative or with an edge in design or build quality for quite a while, but they do write the word "Rolex" on it. Unless you want it for the collectibility or resale potential, or have your eye on a particular classic piece, they would not be my choice if someone handed me a wad of cash for a luxury watch.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd never see it as worth it, it's a high end luxury item, if it was good value it would sort of ruin the point.

As others have said, most of their recent offerings have all been super bland 'contemporary' which seems to be the equivalent of magnolia walls. It just doesn't seem the status symbol it was, it more comes across as 'Is that really the best statement you could think of?'
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Good question and you are right. It is the wrong place and that is why I moved to Chat.

Back to topic: A Rolex is it never worth to pay, if people have a rational view on a watch like me. A watch has just to be worked, everything else is inadaquate luxury.
Legomenon
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It depends on how much of a kick you get out of showing off that you're rich.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's a watch, it tells time. It is no better at that function than the clock on my phone or the watch that I have from a much cheaper brand.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (21)
18.92%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (29)
26.13%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (61)
54.95%

Watched Threads