?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
anyone
Sentenced_to
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Often online MBAs are more expensive. The Durham one is ok though...

One of the online courses benefits is no accommodation fees, obviously.
Additionaly you often have more liberty to do tasks at your own pace because many people who do online couses have other responsibilities too such as jobs and families, and university staff are aware of this.
Kasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Sentenced_to)
Often online MBAs are more expensive. The Durham one is ok though...

One of the online courses benefits is no accommodation fees, obviously.
Additionaly you often have more liberty to do tasks at your own pace because many people who do online couses have other responsibilities too such as jobs and families, and university staff are aware of this.
in what way are they more expensive?
Sentenced_to
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Kasa)
in what way are they more expensive?
You are right. Unlike some other Master's most online UK MBA's are actually cheaper than campus MBAs. This is because unlike other masters MBAs usually charge the same amount for Home/EU and Int. students regardless of the method of study. Anyway, I am old now, I would do it online without second thoughts (I am actually already doing one but not MBA).

Good luck! Just make sure that your degree is delivered by the University itself and not a third party company, like Liverpool and Essex do with their online degrees. Always try to read the smallprint like for e.x. © 2020 University of Essex Online. All rights reserved. University of Essex Online courses are delivered by Kaplan Open Learning.

Kaplan Open Learning = For Profit company. Same with Laureate. Avoid the unis if you see something like this.
Last edited by Sentenced_to; 5 months ago
username5320822
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
What you wrote regarding Essex is not completely correct! Essex is a research intensive campus based University and even during the COVID pandemic Essex uses a dual delivery. The Kaplan courses are usually part-time, only open to international students (non EU/UK) and most of the courses they deliver for Essex are pre-Undergrad and pre-Master. There are pros and cons in third party company, usually they have better and solid online resources.
It takes years and continuous work to prepare, maintain and update online courses, so before choosing a University online course i'd check for how long it has been running, platform used and staff teaching in it (often University online courses have different staff from the campus based courses).

Regarding MBA (which is different from an MSc), they tend to be really expensive, but they are only for professionals with about 5 years experience in the sector, so often people have savings or the companies they work for pay for the MBA. Have you checked available scholarship? For example, https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/...a-scholarships
Last edited by username5320822; 5 months ago
Sentenced_to
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by fprischi)
What you wrote regarding Essex is not completely correct! Essex is a research intensive campus based University and even during the COVID pandemic Essex uses a dual delivery. The Kaplan courses are usually part-time, only open to international students (non EU/UK) and most of the courses they deliver for Essex are pre-Undergrad and pre-Master. There are pros and cons in third party company, usually they have better and solid online resources.
It takes years and continuous work to prepare, maintain and update online courses, so before choosing a University online course i'd check for how long it has been running, platform used and staff teaching in it (often University online courses have different staff from the campus based courses).

Regarding MBA (which is different from an MSc), they tend to be really expensive, but they are only for professionals with about 5 years experience in the sector, so often people have savings or the companies they work for pay for the MBA. Have you checked available scholarship? For example, https://www.essex.ac.uk/departments/...a-scholarships
I speak from personnal experience. I am a student in a university that does not outsource its online degrees. I realy feel being a part of the university community and not a cash cow for them. First of all, I am charged Home/EU fees and not a flat fee for everyone. Also, it is just like being there even though I am not. I know the other students and my teachers who are also the campus courses teachers. Anyway, this is just my subjective opinion. I would avoid unis that outsourse certain degrees to for-profit companies by any means.
Last edited by Sentenced_to; 5 months ago
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would advise against doing an online MBA. Probably the biggest thing that you get from an MBA is networking, both with your peers who have been working at other companies, and with alumni and other speakers they bring in, or trips/placements you go on. By doing an online MBA you don't get these things to the same extent as if you were there in person because there just isn't the same level of interaction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.28%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (92)
28.4%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.35%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.58%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.4%

Watched Threads