The Student Room Group

mean e-mail

I did something I'm not proud of. After finding out my boyfriend cheated on me I sent a nasty e-mail to the girl he cheated on me with. I immediately regretted it and I know it was a really stupid thing to do so please don't tell me that - I know!!

Basically the e-mail told her to stay away from my boyfriend, she was a homewrecker and that I hope that she was clean because I didn't want to catch anything from her. Once again, yes I very much regret it.

Now she is saying she registered a formal complaint with the police for 'internet abuse' and I'm quite worried. COuld I actually get in trouble for this.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Did you threaten her on the email? Or anything that could be interpreted as a threat?

She probably hasn't contacted the police, and is just trying to scare you away.
As LaurenFah said, Have you threatened her? if not try not to worry about it too much

She is prob just trying to scare you to be honest.
Reply 3
um, tbh, I think the police have got better things to do than come after you because you sent her a nasty email. It's not like you're the only person ever to do something like that. I also doubt she'd actually go through with it, she's most likely just threatening you.
Reply 4
no I didn't threaten her but she sent me another e-mail saying this:

"I have just had an update from MET Police. As I stated, they have accepted my complaint of internet abuse. They have also informed me that any further communication from you will be construed as "threatening behaviour" be it as little as a one-word email, text, etc. This would entail rather more serious charges. The police have informed me that I am supposed to keep a record of all communication that can be recorded, and a log of everything else.

In light of this, neither of you would be advised to contact me via any media whatsoever, viz., email, phone, sms, online networking sites, through post, friends, or attempt to see me personally or by any other means not included here.

Again, I hope your personal differences are resolved amicably. Please do not trouble to reply to this email either, as it would also constitute harassing me. "
She's lying. I say reply to the email, but only once
Reply 6
SimpleStudent
She's lying. I say reply to the email, but only once

I say leave it and push her as far away from yourself as possible!
Wouldn't the police tell you yourself if you weren't allowed to make any kind of contact with her?
Fawn

I suppose if you feel bad about your original email then do this. Just I would reply because I don't believe her and wouldn't want her feeling all smug that she'd made me worried by her email.
Reply 9
Fawn

She lives in the same halls as my boyfriend, I'm probably going to run into her sooner or later :frown:
Reply 10
that_time
no I didn't threaten her but she sent me another e-mail saying this:

"I have just had an update from MET Police. As I stated, they have accepted my complaint of internet abuse. They have also informed me that any further communication from you will be construed as "threatening behaviour" be it as little as a one-word email, text, etc. This would entail rather more serious charges. The police have informed me that I am supposed to keep a record of all communication that can be recorded, and a log of everything else.

In light of this, neither of you would be advised to contact me via any media whatsoever, viz., email, phone, sms, online networking sites, through post, friends, or attempt to see me personally or by any other means not included here.

Again, I hope your personal differences are resolved amicably. Please do not trouble to reply to this email either, as it would also constitute harassing me. "

You can't get in trouble for what you did. It sounds like she just wants you not to contact her any more, but I wouldn't respond anyway. Not because you will get in trouble, just because there is surely no point...
Reply with "I am not foolish enough to fall for your lies about reporting me to the police. I have committed no crime in contacting you and no court would uphold any such charge, even if the police could be persuaded to waste their time in pursuing the matter, so don't waste your time and my time in making such claims."
She's probably trying to stop you from telling everyone about it, hence why she says don't contact her through her friends etc.

Just leave it.
And are you staying with your bf?
Reply 13
^ That sounds like ********, tbh.

A complainant contacting the person they've accused, to tell them things like that, seems highly irregular.
And it's also obviously nonsense that any further communication can be construed as harrassment or "threatening behaviour". By her, maybe, but not by any police or court, I'm sure.

What I'd do is this: can you contact the police station and explain that you've been told you have been reported for whatever - I wonder if they can verify it or not? They might not be willing to let you know either way.
If she HAS really told the police, then you've nothing to lose by speaking to them (unless you were planning to flee the country instead). But if she HASN'T then you can set yourself at ease and know she was just trying to scare you.
Good bloke
Reply with "I am not foolish enough to fall for your lies about reporting me to the police. I have committed no crime in contacting you and no court would uphold any such charge, even if the police could be persuaded to waste their time in pursuing the matter, so don't waste your time and my time in making such claims."

:yep:
Reply 15
LaurenFah
She's probably trying to stop you from telling everyone about it, hence why she says don't contact her through her friends etc.

Just leave it.
And are you staying with your bf?

Hmm, I'm not sure whether or not to stay with him. I don't particularly like the idea that they are still living in the same building so I'm not sure whther or not it would work.

I think part of the reason she is persuing this is because she denies having slept with him even though I know she has (I've seen the e-mails she sent to him about it, and also he has admitted it).
Reply 16
rock_ten
What I'd do is this: can you contact the police station and explain that you've been told you have been reported for whatever - I wonder if they can verify it or not? They might not be willing to let you know either way.
If she HAS really told the police, then you've nothing to lose by speaking to them (unless you were planning to flee the country instead). But if she HASN'T then you can set yourself at ease and know she was just trying to scare you.

Although, you could never be sure that the cops won't be really bored that day and they might decide to jump all over it when you mention it to them... so it's not without risk.
Reply 17
Good bloke

Good response, go with this :yep:

If the police said any of what she said, you'd be the first person they'd have talked to! And if I were you, I wouldn't want her thinking that you'd feel for the email.
Reply 18
rock_ten
^ That sounds like ********, tbh.

A complainant contacting the person they've accused, to tell them things like that, seems highly irregular.
And it's also obviously nonsense that any further communication can be construed as harrassment or "threatening behaviour". By her, maybe, but not by any police or court, I'm sure.

I don't know what police station she would have reported to so I can't really contact them.
that_time
I don't know what police station she would have reported to so I can't really contact them.

Don't. You would be going to far too much trouble. Just send the email I suggested. It tells her you are calling her bluff, cannot be interpreted in any threatening way, and ends the matter. She surely won't try the same trick again, either.

Latest

Trending

Trending