Applying for 2009 but will be at uni Watch

vi_26
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey, was just wondering if anyone can help. I'm applying for history for entry in 2009 because i got my grades and they were 3 As rather than the ABB i was predicted. However, i know that grades aren't everything and history is a popular course so i don't want to waste a year, because of this i've accepted my place at Rhul ( i know it is a good uni etc but i want to push myself).

My question is how do i explain this in my ps without seeming like an idiot
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
you would be better applying to transfer after first year, you don't actually need to reapply through ucas?!
vi_26
Rep:
?
ucl, kings, bristol, york and warwick (places where i want to apply) don't accept transfers
Tomber
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vi_26)
hey, was just wondering if anyone can help. I'm applying for history for entry in 2009 because i got my grades and they were 3 As rather than the ABB i was predicted. However, i know that grades aren't everything and history is a popular course so i don't want to waste a year, because of this i've accepted my place at Rhul ( i know it is a good uni etc but i want to push myself).

My question is how do i explain this in my ps without seeming like an idiot
You will be pushed as much at RHUL as any other Uni in the country short of possibly Oxbridge. Personally I think it's the most impressive history department in the UoL. It's a waaay better department that Bristol at least.
random_bloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's VERY negative to go to an institution with the intention of leaving, hardly a commitment to your new life there is it?

Take a year out, or commit to do the course you're enrolled on.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with Random_bloke. We blokes have to stick together. You are far more likely to be a drop-out statistic if you don't properly commit and approach it with the right attitude. You are likely to need a reference from your RHUL tutor, too.
vi_26
Rep:
?
thanks for all your opinions but i've decided that this is the best option for me so would just like some advice about that.
Tomber
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vi_26)
thanks for all your opinions but i've decided that this is the best option for me so would just like some advice about that.
What do you prefer about the other courses to that of RHUL? Are there any specific areas that the other places have strengths in that RHUL don't? That would be the best thing to concentrate on - as a general history course RHUL is every bit as good as the other universities you listed (and better, imo, than a couple of them)
random_bloke
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vi_26)
I'm sorry you've decided that, but it is a truely terrible terrible awful idea.

Sorry if I'm sounding strong, but it really really really is a bad idea.

You'll have a terrible first year, it will affect your ability to make friends (they won't take too kindly to you saying that the place isn't good enough for you), your commitment to the course will certainly suffer, also, if the uni found out now I bet they'd not take too kindly to the plan either.

Please, please, please, please, listen and reconsider.

Also, when you go into your 2nd year elsewhere friendship groups will have formed, you will be an outsider.

This move essentially alienates you from fellow students at both institutions.

It's a really crap idea.
sarko_polo
Report 10 years ago
come on all you doomy gloomy guys, the idea isn't that bad. if vi_26 wants to do it, why not.

I'd go in PS with sth. like you don't want to waste your time while on gap year, and since you so much love history, you'd still do a year even if you have to repeat it. That's how much you like it

I don't think you'll be alienated from your friends. Just announce your decision to them at the end of year 1. Those good, caring ones will understand, those who won't don't matter that much.

But for the sake of good interpersonal relationships at Rhul, I'd keep a low profile there when it comes to this issue.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by sarko_polo)

I'd go in PS with sth. like you don't want to waste your time while on gap year, and since you so much love history, you'd still do a year even if you have to repeat it. That's how much you like it
If you re-read his original post, you'll see that he wants to explain the situation without looking like an idiot. :rolleyes: This doesn't really achieve that, does it?
eve_22
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP I would say do it if that is what you really want to do...Although RHUL is a great university, if that is not what you want, then reapply...But I'd say contact the universities you want to go to first and ask them whether they would accept you (make sure you outline your whole situation and wisely explain the reasons as to why you want to change)...Then go for it and the best of luck to you
duracell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're doing first year at RHUL then hopefully starting first year again a year later at a different uni, how is that not wasting a year?
Imho, you'd be better off either going to RHUL and staying there, or taking a year out and getting a job/work experience. [Second option means you have more money to spend when you get to uni ]
As for the PS, I wish you luck with it, mainly because I'm not sure what the admissions tutors of other unis will think to you being at a perfectly good university and wanting to apply for others. It's not like you're dropping out of RHUL because you can't take the work, or that you're simply transferring in the second year. It just all seems a bit odd to me.
*sparkles*
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I am going to Bristol this year, and I'm pretty sure you can transfer in, just that you go back to first year, which would be the same as reapplying. Why don't you try calling the other unis you're interested in and ask them about that? It might be easier than going through ucas again.
Tomber
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by eve_22)
OP I would say do it if that is what you really want to do...Although RHUL is a great university, if that is not what you want, then reapply...But I'd say contact the universities you want to go to first and ask them whether they would accept you (make sure you outline your whole situation and wisely explain the reasons as to why you want to change)...Then go for it and the best of luck to you
Of course it's fair enough it people want to change university, but to want to change university because you exceeded the offer grade by one, and think you will be more challenged at a university which offers AAA instead of AAB is just plain wrong. If, I dunno, you suddenly decide that you are really interested in the History of Medicine, then Warwick is the way forward, but if you wanted to study anything pre 1500, and had transferred from RHUL to Warwick because you thought it would be more challenging, you would have made a major mistake (given that Warwick offers no medieval history at all)
thetoothfairy
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I dont get this situation...why cant you just do the first year, apply for uni while in the first year (and then get into one), and then drop out of RHUL and then go to the new uni?

And if you dont get into your new uni, then hey, altleast u can just carry on at RHUL...a shot to nothing; you have nothing to lose....right?
duracell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by thetoothfairy)
I dont get this situation...why cant you just do the first year, apply for uni while in the first year (and then get into one), and then drop out of RHUL and then go to the new uni?
Uhm, that's exactly what the OP is planning to do.. or so I thought.
vi_26
Rep:
?
thanks for all the replies. i'm just considering all my options and trying to find the best one.
Aimai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by vi_26)
thanks for all the replies. i'm just considering all my options and trying to find the best one.
One thing I would like a suggest you think about is the money you will waste. Not only will you be wasting tution fees if you intend to live elsewhere but also your loan- why waste 6k for something you don't want?
aivilo
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vi_26)
what ure doing is what i will be doin as of fall 2009, i will accept my place at some uni that offered me a place and then reapply through ucas to my dream uni (that rejected). i really dont see y it would be a problem, i mean its better to go to a uni n assure that u at least HAVE a place should ur dream uni reject u AGAIN. so thats y i dont take a gap yr cuz it really is like waste if u get rejected twice! obviously i wont shout it out that i want to leave the uni i will go to now, but really who cares what ppl around u say as long as u do ur thing n get the life that u want! u will just have MORE friends, at the uni that u first start, n then at the uni u switch to. n if u start from year 1, u will hv an advantage on the others since u ll be an "expert" in subjects that they dont yet no about. ure not alone!

i no ppl who reapplied to 1st yr but in the PS they didnt mention being at a different uni at all, n they got their reference from high school so not the tutors. applyin twice to the uni u like just shows ur enthousiasm about it. blah just dont listen to anyone tellin u to reconsider!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (232)
27.62%
No (608)
72.38%

Watched Threads