Soph975
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
The subjects I’m doing for A Level are English Lit, history and German and i would like to study law with German at uni.

My school recommends us to take 4 subjects and to be honest, I would quite like to start with 4, but I’m unsure whether to take psychology or geography. I’ve looked through both and I did enjoy geography GCSE, but I find the physical side a bit boring. Psychology looks really interesting! However, geography is a better regarded A Level , so i am leaning towards that.

Which would be better for a law degree at one of the top unis? And is psychology considered as a “soft” subject?
thegeek888
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
A-Level Psychology is easy and fun if you can write well. Take a look at this website: https://www.psychlogic.org/pages/how...ample-material
bambi1425
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
psychology is seen as a soft science because some of the paradigms and therefore theories are not based in science and do not follow the scientific method. as a subject I think it's respected due to the amount of knowledge, understanding and ability to link multiple ideas and just writing skills in general which are needed for a high grade.

id recommend picking whichever you enjoy or think you would enjoy, maybe have a look at some of the topics you could do in psychology (since you haven't done this at GCSE)

I don't know much (if anythin) about law degrees but you seem to have 3 good alevels already for law - you could also look at some unis recommended alevels for a law degree
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I would say do psychology due to the fact you seem like you’re leaning to it more so you would most likely do better in it. I took psychology as an A level and have had friends who took geography. My friends said it was similar to GCSE but the case studies had to be more specific about details like the population. You already have three strong and respected subjects so psychology can be there on the side. I would say it’s respected but not as much as others. It’s also classed as a science along with geography at some unis so go for what you’ll prefer.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by bambi1425)
psychology is seen as a soft science because some of the paradigms and therefore theories are not based in science and do not follow the scientific method. as a subject I think it's respected due to the amount of knowledge, understanding and ability to link multiple ideas and just writing skills in general which are needed for a high grade.

id recommend picking whichever you enjoy or think you would enjoy, maybe have a look at some of the topics you could do in psychology (since you haven't done this at GCSE)

I don't know much (if anythin) about law degrees but you seem to have 3 good alevels already for law - you could also look at some unis recommended alevels for a law degree
PRSOM. To add for the last point: for law degrees, your A levels are fine btw because for English and Welsh Law, there's no specific A levels with an essay subject preferred but not required; for Scottish Law, it's recommended to have an essay subject.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Dechante)
I would say do psychology due to the fact you seem like you’re leaning to it more so you would most likely do better in it. I took psychology as an A level and have had friends who took geography. My friends said it was similar to GCSE but the case studies had to be more specific about details like the population. You already have three strong and respected subjects so psychology can be there on the side. I would say it’s respected but not as much as others. It’s also classed as a science along with geography at some unis so go for what you’ll prefer.
What do you mean? Psychology is respected.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Psychology is not a soft subject and choose the one you enjoy. Both options are fine for a law degree
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What do you mean? Psychology is respected.
Sorry, I worked what I said wrong. It's respected and is classed as a science at some unis but I meant it's not a facilitating subject like geography if that makes sense. Even though no one really cares about facilitating subjects anymore. Psychology by no means is a soft subject and can be difficult at times hence why it's respected. Sorry I was half asleep when I wrote that
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
take the subject you think you'd enjoy the most. i did a level psych and enjoyed it- it's not terribly difficult but you need to be revising the content regularly as there's a lot to learn! remember there's an nea in geography.
Soph975
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
take the subject you think you'd enjoy the most. i did a level psych and enjoyed it- it's not terribly difficult but you need to be revising the content regularly as there's a lot to learn! remember there's an nea in geography.
Ok, thank you. I do quite enjoy the sound of both to be honest, but I found the physical side in gcse geog quite boring. Do you know if the geography NEA has to be on physical or human geography or both? I much prefer human geography, but i know that if it has to be on physical geography, i would find it really boring. Thanks!
Soph975
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dechante)
Yeah, I am leaning towards psychology. I’m just a bit worried that it won’t be as respected as geography. I’ve heard really mixed opinions about psychology and whether it’s respected or not. I did enjoy GCSE geography, but i sometimes found physical geography a bit boring and I get that A Level will be quite a big step up
Erica28102
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Soph975)
Ok, thank you. I do quite enjoy the sound of both to be honest, but I found the physical side in gcse geog quite boring. Do you know if the geography NEA has to be on physical or human geography or both? I much prefer human geography, but i know that if it has to be on physical geography, i would find it really boring. Thanks!
You can do your NEA on either human or physical it doesn’t have to be both
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
i didn't do a level geography, but some of my friends did. from what i saw i don't think they were limited to either but this may depend on exam board. worth researching the specifications for details on the nea.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I’m just a bit worried that it won’t be as respected as geography.
The concept of 'respected' or 'facilitating' subjects does not exist anymore. Universities literally don't care if you do Geography, Psychology, Music or Sociology. Moreover, universities will ignore any 4th subject anyway since they only ask for 3 subjects.

Just so you know, the only 2 things universities want are you to meet their grades and for you to take any required subjects for their courses (like A level Maths for a Maths degree).

Again, I'll repeat: subjects aren't more respected than others. Universities literally could not care less what subjects you offer (as long as it's not General Studies), and they really don't care about how your subject combination looks. They just want 3 A level grades and any required subjects.
Last edited by Quick-use; 4 months ago
tekiawilson2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi I'm doing both a level psychology and geography does anybody have any advice getting ready for these any websites that are good?

I'm hoping to start oldham sixth form college in September
Soph975
Rep:
?
Thank you all so much! I have decided to go for psychology
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by tekiawilson2)
Hi I'm doing both a level psychology and geography does anybody have any advice getting ready for these any websites that are good?

I'm hoping to start oldham sixth form college in September
It would be better if you made a new thread as this would derail OP's thread
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (707)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (891)
42.73%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (394)
18.9%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.46%

Watched Threads