The Student Room Group

Studying film and/or media

So in September I’m going into year 13 which is where I need to apply to uni but I’m stuck. I really enjoy film and media and know when I’m older I want to go into the industry when I’m older but I don’t know what. I have a couple of options and I’m not sure what to decide. The first is going to a uni and doing a degree first hand and studying films and media and analysing them like a levels. Or going to a screen and film school were you have first hand experience and learn on the job. I haven’t had much practice with film stuff and I’m not very creative which is why I thought of uni but the screen and film school offers more opportunities, what should I do?
Reply 1
Hi. I’m going to be starting a degree in Media Production at Sunderland University in September (if Offqual’s standardisation process doesn’t mess anything up for me) and I didn’t study film or media at a level but I’ve always wanted to work in the media in one way or another. I know we can’t go to proper open days but you should look at the courses you are interested in and see if the university offers any virtual resources or see if you can speak to a current student. I knew I wanted to go down the production route after going to an open day and seeing all of the facilities, equipment and learning about the careers in the industry that graduates have gone into. I like to make videos, music etc which made me love the open day even more as I was kinda nerding out over the facilities the university has.

To wrap this up, you don’t need to be creative to go to a film school or do a production degree as the whole point of you studying is to learn what the industry is looking for creatively so you will learn how to be more creative. If you like analysing media, there are a range of degrees that will allow you to do this like media and communications or film and media. At the end of the day, you’ve got to do what you are passionate about and what makes you want to get out of bed every morning. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending