The Student Room Group

Computers while studying medicine

Hello,

I'm starting UCL in September for medicine and don't have a laptop yet. if i wait until mid November my parents will buy me one, so i don't really want to get one myself as that money could be used on other things i need. Basically im thinking about taking my PC to uni until then. what do people suggest? is this a good idea or should i not bother? ts not much hassle to take my desktop pc, but it is quite old. how badly do you need a a lap top for the first term?
Reply 1
I'm sure there will be university computers that you can use to hold you out until mid-November for any stuff you need to do online etc :smile:
You don't need any sort of computer, there are plenty of computer clusters on all sites. Sure it'd be nice to have one in your room, but it's perfectly possible to survive without. As for laptop/desktop - it really doesn't matter - there's not anything that you're going to need the portability of a laptop for, so it's just a personal preference thing. So sure, take your desktop for starters, and then, come November, if you think you'd like to get a laptop, get one.
Spencer Wells
So sure, take your desktop for starters, and then, come November, if you think you'd like to get a laptop, get one.

I agree. Take your desktop. There's no special need for a laptop and it's much more likely to get nicked/lost anyway. If your computers old and slow it might help to replace it but don't feel obliged to pay double the price for a laptop if you don't need one.
Reply 4
I've had a desktop for 5 years because at the time I bought it, laptops were more expensive and not as high-spec. There's only been about 2 occasions where I've wished I had a laptop. So yes, you'll be fine for a few months without one.
Reply 5
transporting a whole desktop to uni? i'd rather avoid that headache! (though clearly, if you're up for it then by all means...) would you transport it back each term? surely there are IT facilities at UCL you could use instead - i'd prefer to rely on them tbh
Reply 6
nexttime
transporting a whole desktop to uni? i'd rather avoid that headache! (though clearly, if you're up for it then by all means...) would you transport it back each term? surely there are IT facilities at UCL you could use instead - i'd prefer to rely on them tbh

Mine packs up pretty quickly into two boxes. Compared with the rest of my junk, it's a comparitively small volume.
There isn't any assignments that have to be typed between now and November, and there are plenty of cluster rooms around UCL (eg. Cruciform, Science library, Rockefeller) that you could use til then. TBH I mainly used the internet in first term to keep track of the thousands of emails Carol sends about really confusing things and for Facebook to keep track of social activities.
Reply 8
i live in London so i can easily make the journey back for my desktop. just a screen and box thing. Thanks for the replys, i prob wont take one and then if i need it come back for it. thnks again

Latest

Trending

Trending