El6403
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Is this possible? I am an older candidate and myself and my partner are thinking of children, the whole time clock worries me on my side but i also dont want to put my degree on hold. However i want to ensure if i do get pregnant during a nursing degree will i be able to complete it? Has anyone done this is it possible? I believe ill be able to get childcare but being around medicine etc is their any limitations that would prevent me from qualifying ?

Thankyou any help appreciated x

El
Nautilus
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How old is too old? TBH it isn't a great idea.
Nefarious
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
While I was doing my degree, several students got pregnant. They all intercalated and may have completed the course at a later date.

Clinical placement on a nursing degree is a physically demanding full time job. You should expect to need maternity leave at some point, likely delaying your completion of the course by at least six months even if you take the bare minimum of time out. You should remember that there is a hard time limit of 5 years, start to finish for completing nursing degrees, unlike other courses there is no flexibility in this. If you have to intercalate again, for a second child, or for any other reason, you could run out of time to complete the degree and end up getting kicked out with nothing to show for it. You should also be aware that you won't have the same statutory protections that employed people have whilst you're studying:

Your university would be extremely unlikely to deny your request to intercalate on the grounds of pregnancy but they theoretically could. (Essentially meaning you couldn't continue on the course.)

You may be elligible for your student finance to continue during leave for pregnancy/childbirth but this is also not a certain thing. I recommend checking this in advance if you have any doubts about the health of your finances during the course.

It's important to keep in mind that no element of your nursing degree is optional; attendance at all lectures, all seminars, all skills and lab sessions is mandatory and your attendance will be recorded. While on non nursing degrees there can be *some* flexibilty on attendance, in order for the course to be NMC accredited nursing students get no flexibility at all. If caring for a new baby would keep you away from attending literally everything you may also struggle to complete the course.
Last edited by Nefarious; 1 year ago
Kogomogo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is your partner willing to take on much of the childcare at home (outside of daycare, like evenings and weekends) so that you can study and do placements, essentially them becoming the primary caregiver? Would you be happy with such an arrangement, taking minimal time out for the pregnancy and returning to work/study soon after?

You could delay starting for a year or two perhaps so you can help deal with the very early childcare if not. Not sure about being able to take time off once you've started, whether that would delay your graduation or affect your grades. I've read the nhs bursary will give extra if you have children too if that helps.
Nautilus
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
From the answers posted it doesn't really look like studying a nursing degree is compatible with pregnancy, maternity leave and being a mother of a new baby. Why make life difficult for yourself?
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It will mean some delay and a need for childcare and extra stress in your early child rearing years. Conventional wisdom is to complete the degree first. But thankfully provision is made for pregnancy and paternity leave and of course it would be possible.
Qxi.xli
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do what you think is right
follow your gut
Tracey1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by El6403)
Is this possible? I am an older candidate and myself and my partner are thinking of children, the whole time clock worries me on my side but i also dont want to put my degree on hold. However i want to ensure if i do get pregnant during a nursing degree will i be able to complete it? Has anyone done this is it possible? I believe ill be able to get childcare but being around medicine etc is their any limitations that would prevent me from qualifying ?

El
Best thing is to wait untill you qualified as a nurse and get a job as you'll be secured employment and say in two years after you been in job them get pregnant as you'll benefit more this way,

Usually they discourage student nurses to get pregnant during the 3 years course as you'll need to go of on maternity leave otherwise and you get upto xxxx months to decide whether or not you able to return to your course as if not then you'll need to start all over again and go through all the process of interviews etc .

Depending where you are in the UK the nursing degree course varies between 3 & 4 years and you'll need to factor this in to.
You said you are a older candidate ok but I would wait few years longer, your biological clock don't really means lots as you'll still be able to have kids untill about late 30's without to much problems.

I see people who are in there early 40's giving birth most days without worries,yes you'll be monitored more throughout your pregnancy if you in a high risk age group .
Last edited by Tracey1995; 1 year ago
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

El
How old are you now? Do you already have a place on a degree course?
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

El
It's possible to do. I've known many students start and then drop back 6-12 months thanks to having a baby. It's certainly challenging for nursing students who are also parents, though! Tracey is right though - it's only 3 years (or 4 to get the honours bit in Scotland) - can you wait to get qualified before trying? If so, that would make things easier for you studies wise
Tracey1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
It's possible to do. I've known many students start and then drop back 6-12 months thanks to having a baby. It's certainly challenging for nursing students who are also parents, though! Tracey is right though - it's only 3 years (or 4 to get the honours bit in Scotland) - can you wait to get qualified before trying? If so, that would make things easier for you studies wise
Emily
That's what we were told at beginning of our degree course that they don't recommend any nursing students have a baby while they are studying to become nurses like and await at least few years after securing a job to.

Its very challenging trying to juggle kids with studying and doing anything upto 12,5 /13 hours shifts at nights and days plus weekends ( the shifts obviously depends on where you are like as I was all 12.5 hours shifts throughout my hospital placements and worked GP surgeries hours in community ),

I would certainly wait until she do the degree course first then think about babies as I said she'll be fine with having babies upto certain age without problems and then if over this she'll be monitored more with the community midwifes throughout.
Emily_B
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tracey1995)
Emily
That's what we were told at beginning of our degree course that they don't recommend any nursing students have a baby while they are studying to become nurses like and await at least few years after securing a job to.

Its very challenging trying to juggle kids with studying and doing anything upto 12,5 /13 hours shifts at nights and days plus weekends ( the shifts obviously depends on where you are like as I was all 12.5 hours shifts throughout my hospital placements and worked GP surgeries hours in community ),

I would certainly wait until she do the degree course first then think about babies as I said she'll be fine with having babies upto certain age without problems and then if over this she'll be monitored more with the community midwifes throughout.
Oh I completely agree! Always betterr off not trying to juggle studies on top of pregnancy/new baby. My colleagues (&their partners) who had a baby mid nursing degree didn't necissarily plan said baby though... and those who made it to end of degree qualified 6-12 months later than planned with a fair few "mum wobbles" and a lot of support from families!
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It’s not easy, but plenty of people have managed, just as plenty of people have during their careers. Might be worth looking at how you will support yourself though now it’s tuition fees and loans (assuming you are in England).
Tracey1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Emily_B)
Oh I completely agree! Always betterr off not trying to juggle studies on top of pregnancy/new baby. My colleagues (&their partners) who had a baby mid nursing degree didn't necissarily plan said baby though... and those who made it to end of degree qualified 6-12 months later than planned with a fair few "mum wobbles" and a lot of support from families!
Emily

Yes I would certainly wait till completing her studies as a nurse first as it be easier afterwards . Its can be very hard juggling studies & placements especially long hours & nightshifts as a student, plus try to do your normal life along with a new kid as well. Its not a thing usually that woman plan for is pregnancy as just take it when it happens but in middle of a potential career is something she should perhaps hold back for and go for it after qualifying and gaining a permanent job first .
Sometimes as you pointed out Emily is some partners don't necessarily plan this baby though and like yourself i seem students nurses getting pregnant and having to leave during the coursework and don't come back untill few years later to start again , one of the girls who was in my group got pregnant and left after midway through her 2nd year and she's now back again as student midwife as just finished her first year and she's determined to finish things this time around but she got some support in place to help her with things as otherwise she wouldn't been able to do this again.

You do need lots of support from families if your a student nurse especially if you take minimum time out as possible to allow you the opportunity to catch up with things and go on to complete the course.
El6403
Rep:
?
Thankyou for all the messages! I was hoping it would go the other way but perhaps ill consider contacting my uni and maybe deferring my studies. Im 35 now financially we are ok and my husband works from home. I have a place at a university confirmed, And i appreciate some women can have children with no worries in their 40's but it does worry me as i have family members who have waited and are now adopting instead.

Certainly a lot to think about
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thankyou for all the messages! I was hoping it would go the other way but perhaps ill consider contacting my uni and maybe deferring my studies. Im 35 now financially we are ok and my husband works from home. I have a place at a university confirmed, And i appreciate some women can have children with no worries in their 40's but it does worry me as i have family members who have waited and are now adopting instead.

Do you think that it might be possible to start your degree this autumn and then have a baby after you have completed Finals? You would be about 38.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible for you to have a 'Fertility MOT' in the next few months, so that you are re-assured that you have a reasonable chance of conceiving in three years' time. I've not needed to pursue this kind of thing myself so am not particularly expert, but such things do seem to exist.

https://www.londonwomensclinic.com/i...est-for-women/

I'm wondering whether this way you could pick up the threads of your career post qualification once your baby was, say, 1 year old.

I'm not in nursing myself, but I'm sure that someone who is would be able to confirm whether it is possible to take a year out after Finals and then start work as a nurse.

Your question is an interesting one, because I think that it is a situation which comes into play for many women.
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 year ago
El6403
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kerzen)
Do you think that it might be possible to start your degree this autumn and then have a baby after you have completed Finals? You would be about 38.

I'm wondering whether it would be possible for you to have a 'Fertility MOT' in the next few months, so that you are re-assured that you have a reasonable chance of conceiving in three years' time. I've not needed to pursue this kind of thing myself so am not particularly expert, but such things do seem to exist.

I'm wondering whether this way you could pick up the threads of your career post qualification once your baby was, say, 1 year old.

I'm not in nursing myself, but I'm sure that someone who is would be able to confirm whether it is possible to take a year out after Finals and then start work as a nurse.

Your question is an interesting one, because I think that it is a situation which comes into play for many women.
Thank you so much this seems so obvious now you say it i didn't think they offered things like this, ill certainly look into it as i think if this goes well i would have the reassurance i need to wait.
paub
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
we managed it with six.youngest 3 ish. you need a very flexible partner. have your baby delay the course a year.
Tracey1995
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Kerzen)

Can I say to you that providing you are healthy still after qualifying then everything will be okay for you to have a baby okay,

I wouldn't delay your course as best to go with it now and then have a baby afterwards.

I see older woman in mid 40's giving birth without any problems on many occasions but you'll be monitored by your community midwife closely if you wait till you are nearly 40 as you need to be two years qualified as a nurse to get all the benefits of pay / holiday protection etc with NHS.
The oldest woman I attended to for her birth was 50 as she got into a relationship with a very young lad and she was fine.
Every woman body deals with pregnancy differently ok and as said providing you are very healthy still then you should have a normal birth ok.

Last thing you want to do is start your degree and go if to have a baby and having to possibly wait a year or two to start all over again and do you want to go through all this process of interviews etc at universities again .

Most people only adopt because they unable to conceive and therefore go down this route. Nothing to do with age related ok.
And I am a qualified midwife and I can say that you should be able to have a good healthy baby in three years time or get pregnant about last 3 months before you sit your final exams and qualify as a good nurse as then you can delay any possible job you may had been offered .
Last edited by Tracey1995; 1 year ago
El6403
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey1995)Can I say to you that providing you are healthy still after qualifying then everything will be okay for you to have a baby okay,

I wouldn't delay your course as best to go with it now and then have a baby afterwards.

I see older woman in mid 40's giving birth without any problems on many occasions but you'll be monitored by your community midwife closely if you wait till you are nearly 40 as you need to be two years qualified as a nurse to get all the benefits of pay / holiday protection etc with NHS.
The oldest woman I attended to for her birth was 50 as she got into a relationship with a very young lad and she was fine.
Every woman body deals with pregnancy differently ok and as said providing you are very healthy still then you should have a normal birth ok.

Last thing you want to do is start your degree and go if to have a baby and having to possibly wait a year or two to start all over again and do you want to go through all this process of interviews etc at universities again .

Most people only adopt because they unable to conceive and therefore go down this route. Nothing to do with age related ok.
And I am a qualified midwife and I can say that you should be able to have a good healthy baby in three years time or get pregnant about last 3 months before you sit your final exams and qualify as a good nurse as then you can delay any possible job you may had been offered .

Thankyou for the reply i really appreciate it coming from someone who knows, ive booked in for the fertility MOT. I know your right i think ii will do this as i really dont want to delay my studies and hopefully the professional check will give me that added reassurance.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (33)
15.14%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (66)
30.28%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (26)
11.93%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (18)
8.26%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (12)
5.5%
I think it's an unfair expectation (60)
27.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.38%

Watched Threads