The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by El6403
(Original post by Tracey1995)Can I say to you that providing you are healthy still after qualifying then everything will be okay for you to have a baby okay,

I wouldn't delay your course as best to go with it now and then have a baby afterwards.

I see older woman in mid 40's giving birth without any problems on many occasions but you'll be monitored by your community midwife closely if you wait till you are nearly 40 as you need to be two years qualified as a nurse to get all the benefits of pay / holiday protection etc with NHS.
The oldest woman I attended to for her birth was 50 as she got into a relationship with a very young lad and she was fine.
Every woman body deals with pregnancy differently ok and as said providing you are very healthy still then you should have a normal birth ok.

Last thing you want to do is start your degree and go if to have a baby and having to possibly wait a year or two to start all over again and do you want to go through all this process of interviews etc at universities again .

Most people only adopt because they unable to conceive and therefore go down this route. Nothing to do with age related ok.
And I am a qualified midwife and I can say that you should be able to have a good healthy baby in three years time or get pregnant about last 3 months before you sit your final exams and qualify as a good nurse as then you can delay any possible job you may had been offered .

Thankyou for the reply i really appreciate it coming from someone who knows, ive booked in for the fertility MOT. I know your right i think ii will do this as i really dont want to delay my studies and hopefully the professional check will give me that added reassurance.

You most welcome okay
As I said I see older people giving birth regularly but you'll be closely monitored due to age and any possible complications but as said keep healthy is key .
I am planning to have kids when I'm about 35 - 38 as I putting time into doing my job first and I decided I will was it till I'm older to have kids and its not unusual for people to do this nowadays especially those who are career minded people first .
Well I wouldn't be advising you otherwise ok as I sure you obviously needing more convincing about this from somebody who got knowledge and I hope that this check you having will assure you too on this but raise the questions about risks and why most people wait till they are older as well to have kids ok.

I wouldn't be delaying my possible career if I was in your situation now as I certainly would be doing my degree first and get settled into a job then plan a baby say after 18 months or so after into the job you got.

Well I hope it goes well ok and PM if you want to once you get this check information back .
I’m pregnant, I’m at uni studying nursing. My partner is not going to be the full care giver once the baby is born as he works full time too. I literally will be working full time no more than 37.5 hours per week. If qualified nurses can work these hours with a baby and still be a good mother to their child , why can’t a student nurse? Also my nursing course also gives flexibility to appointments and maternity leave! So there is no reason why you cannot get pregnant while doing a nursing degree! I don’t know where u got your information from!
Original post by Kogomogo
Is your partner willing to take on much of the childcare at home (outside of daycare, like evenings and weekends) so that you can study and do placements, essentially them becoming the primary caregiver? Would you be happy with such an arrangement, taking minimal time out for the pregnancy and returning to work/study soon after?

You could delay starting for a year or two perhaps so you can help deal with the very early childcare if not. Not sure about being able to take time off once you've started, whether that would delay your graduation or affect your grades. I've read the nhs bursary will give extra if you have children too if that helps.

I’m pregnant, I’m at uni studying nursing. My partner is not going to be the full care giver once the baby is born as he works full time too. I literally will be working full time no more than 37.5 hours per week. If qualified nurses can work these hours with a baby and still be a good mother to their child , why can’t a student nurse? Also my nursing course also gives flexibility to appointments and maternity leave! So there is no reason why you cannot get pregnant while doing a nursing degree! I don’t know where u got your information from!
Original post by Steph1992sd

Hmm. I wonder if you will feel the same when you are sleep deprived
I would recommend having the baby then doing the course when they are 3+ (ie free childcare) unless grand parents would do it fir free earlier. You have many years you can study. Not many years you can give birth.
Thank you @Steph1992sd I don't understand why someone will prioritise studies over kids. You can study anytime but having kids is not that easy. I struggled to have my 2nd and at age 31yrs old. I will trade anything for my kids. I also think you can do both studies and pregnancy..
(edited 2 years ago)
I have found it super helpful reading everything!I’m in a Similar situation! I’m in my first year and have just been told I’ve got a medical condition that effects my fertility massively and is why I have struggled in the past to get pregnant ( I always thought of it as a gift before hitting 26!)Now I’m in my first year of nursing school and after being told this is an issue I’m not wanting to wait to get pregnant, but I would plan on staying at uni while getting pregnant And it’s honestly stressing me out soo much!! So it’s nice to see someone else is in a similar world reading these
Original post by Steph1992sd

Hi how did you get on? I’ve just found out unexpectedly that I am expecting (baby number 4) and will be 20 weeks when my course starts. I’m really struggling with what to do I’ve done an access course this year which I started when my baby was 4 months old and I’ve just completed that. I’m so confused whether to speak to uni and delay or start my course take time off and rejoin in the next cohort. X
I'm in the same situation and really don't know what to do either did you decide??X
Original post by Tilster83
Hi how did you get on? I’ve just found out unexpectedly that I am expecting (baby number 4) and will be 20 weeks when my course starts. I’m really struggling with what to do I’ve done an access course this year which I started when my baby was 4 months old and I’ve just completed that. I’m so confused whether to speak to uni and delay or start my course take time off and rejoin in the next cohort. X

Congratulations 👏🎆 on your news 🙂

Best thing probably to do is perhaps defer your nursing degree until the following year and that way you'll be in better position.

Reason why I am saying this is because you will have to go on maternity leave around 11 weeks prior to the due date which means you'll only have approx 6 weeks of the course completed before going on leave.( and if you happen to go of Sick due to your pregnancy then you'll be starting your maternity leave as from that day ) You'll not be allowed back usually for around 12 weeks after your birth of the baby by which time you have missed half the academic term. You have to arrange and keep in touch with the university on things and you must give them notice that you are returning to your studying.

You'll have to let your university know as soon as possible about it as they will have to put in place some health and safety stuff you.

A NHS registered midwife
Original post by Livvocean20
I'm in the same situation and really don't know what to do either did you decide??X

Hi

Congratulations on your news of the baby ❤️

As I said to person in post #30

you'll be probably be best to defer for a year depending on when your baby is due.

Latest

Trending

Trending