sophietxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
is this the best combination? I think I can squeeze a 9 at GCSE maths because I got an 8 in my mock in November last year barely revising. I've heard HL maths is crazy though but I'm going to do it unless I really can't get a 6.

I know people say you don't need maths HL for medicine but I think unis would like this? not that its a requirement but it's something they like to see compared to a random HL subject.

also for the SL subjects med skls don't care so I should just pick ones that boost my score right? because they're extras in a way not the ones you need for med skl?

THANKS
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
for SLs that's true - choose the ones you find more interesting or are the best at, easiest to score a high grade in

for maths HL tho, I'm personally not taking it although I'm planning to apply for medicine as it is even more competitive in our school than normally so to say, so there is no person in our class who's not planning to apply for a highly maths-based course (like engineering, economics or something like that) where maths HL is a formal requirement. I kind of regret my decision, but it's more because I find maths really interesting and regret not taking it as a HL just out of interest, not just for the application process.

it also depends if you're thinking of AA or AI, because AI is fairly easier (both as an SL and a HL), I would say it's like AA HL is the hardest course, then AI HL and AA SL are similar in terms of difficulty although the content is different, and the easiest is AI SL. so if you're thinking of AI HL definitely take it unless you're interested more in the kind of theoretical maths as AI lacks that and is focused on statistics mainly which I would find boring personally (and my school doesn't offer AI HL). if you're thinking of AA HL, then bear in mind that it's one of the most difficult HLs (alongside physics and chemistry), it's not impossible to score high tho, I'd say 7 is really hard to get, like you need to be really good at maths (I wouldn't compare GCSE level to that), but 6 is definitely possible with some work put into it in my opinion.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
HL Maths is probably unnecessary, unless you are certain it is the HL subject you would get the best result in, as only one medical school requires 3 STEM subjects at HL (namely Cambridge). All other medical schools just require two sciences (and taking both biology and chemistry will give you the full range of these as possible options to apply to), and don't care what your other subject(s) are (although for IB specifically I think some medical schools wouldn't consider the old maths studies option; I think the most similar equivalent to this now is the SL AI maths curriculum, so I would suggest you stick to the AA curriculum to ensure you would be considered).
sophietxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I think I'll do HL AI because it's not as hard as AA and then I get away with doing 3 SL instead of AA SL and upgrading one of my current SLs to HL if that makes sense
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (159)
38.59%
Take autumn exams (125)
30.34%
Look for a job (15)
3.64%
Consider an apprenticeship (18)
4.37%
Take a year out (69)
16.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise