do i have to take the GCSE as an international student going into college in the UK?

Watch
immapanda01
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello, I'm currently a student who's studying in Hong Kong, who'll probably move to the UK when I'm done with grade 11 (i'm 16 and a half by that time)

i've done some research about the schooling system in the UK, and i'm kinda stuck. so i understand that year 12-13 students could attend a sixth form college/ stay in their high schools, but they have to the take gcse.

in hong kong, we have our own local examinations called the "dse", and im currently taking that path since i don't really have a choice, and the students in hk normally take the dse by the end of their secondary school education.

as im not finishing my education in hong kong, i cannot present any scores that could be equivalent to a gcse grade, so i just want to ask if taking the gcses would be necessary to get into college in the uk?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Most 6th forms have experience in accepting students form other countries so find a couple of possible ones and ask them - mine makes people take some form of English competency test (and a Maths one if you're going to do Sciences) but doesn't require GCSEs. If you've been at school in the UK for A levels and intend to go to university in the UK, you will probably need to take Maths GCSE (if you're not doing Maths A level) and either English Language GCSE/ A level or IELTS https://www.ielts.org/ to meet university entrance requirements - but you could do these whilst doing A levels.
Last edited by Compost; 2 weeks ago
HedgePig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I don’t think GCSE’s are necessary at all. I have a child at university in the UK who went through an American curriculum high school and she certainly didn’t need to pass an GCSE’s.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by HedgePig)
I don’t think GCSE’s are necessary at all. I have a child at university in the UK who went through an American curriculum high school and she certainly didn’t need to pass an GCSE’s.
It's a different matter if someone has completed their pre-university education outside the UK. My experience of several students who've arrived here to take A levels is that universities expect them to have Maths and English GCSEs, or their equivalent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (209)
38.56%
Take autumn exams (163)
30.07%
Look for a job (19)
3.51%
Consider an apprenticeship (22)
4.06%
Take a year out (96)
17.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (33)
6.09%

Watched Threads