Don't know what I want to do

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey!

I don't know what I want to do with my life.

I always thought, from around A-levels, that I would go into teaching. That's what I've been focused on. But have you ever really thought that you wanted to do something and been so focused, but then actually sat down and thought about it and second guessed yourself? I'm not sure I want to go into teaching. I do love being in schools and helping students etc but being a teacher? I'm not 100% and I feel that with teaching you have to want to do it more than you want to do anything else? I feel that that is the case for any career though. The problem is I'm not sure what I want to do more than anything else. I hear so many horror stories that teaching becomes about paperwork and not actually teaching-added to the fact that so many quit after a number of years. The problem is-I don't like to quit things. So in my head, I worry about my mental health being ****, not quitting etc and then I look back in 20 years and I haven't been happy.

I'm currently on my MA and I haven't hated it but I haven't enjoyed it either. I've realised that I picked English because I always got good marks-but I don't actually enjoy it as much as I should.

I've really struggled with my mental health because I haven't been able to get into schools to get experience. I've been asking for years. Not even for one day will they let me. I feel that I'm really disillusioned with the education system and I haven't even applied! I just think, maybe the whole thing isn't meant for me. Because it's been 4 years now and schools have been awful in general. Added to the fact that my friend who got a first, then her PGCE grade was outstanding, plus she got a merit for her MA-she can't get a job for the life of her. I'm just wondering if it's worth all this stress? There's nothing more I love than helping people. I think a bit too much. I think that may also contribute to my mental health-too much focus on helping other people and none on myself (which I have been trying to even the balance).

I had this spark that hasn't gone away-which is to do some acting/drama lessons. I've had this for around 3 years but due to working and education I haven't been able to attend. I'm really interested in movies/tv etc but as my background is education/English based not sure if that could lead anywhere.

I think my problem is I want to do too many different things and don't like to settle on one. I hate the idea of being stuck in the same job for 20 years.

I'm not even sure what i'm hoping to get from this. Anyone else feel this way about their career?
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hey!

I don't know what I want to do with my life.

I always thought, from around A-levels, that I would go into teaching. That's what I've been focused on. But have you ever really thought that you wanted to do something and been so focused, but then actually sat down and thought about it and second guessed yourself? I'm not sure I want to go into teaching. I do love being in schools and helping students etc but being a teacher? I'm not 100% and I feel that with teaching you have to want to do it more than you want to do anything else? I feel that that is the case for any career though. The problem is I'm not sure what I want to do more than anything else. I hear so many horror stories that teaching becomes about paperwork and not actually teaching-added to the fact that so many quit after a number of years. The problem is-I don't like to quit things. So in my head, I worry about my mental health being ****, not quitting etc and then I look back in 20 years and I haven't been happy.

I'm currently on my MA and I haven't hated it but I haven't enjoyed it either. I've realised that I picked English because I always got good marks-but I don't actually enjoy it as much as I should.

I've really struggled with my mental health because I haven't been able to get into schools to get experience. I've been asking for years. Not even for one day will they let me. I feel that I'm really disillusioned with the education system and I haven't even applied! I just think, maybe the whole thing isn't meant for me. Because it's been 4 years now and schools have been awful in general. Added to the fact that my friend who got a first, then her PGCE grade was outstanding, plus she got a merit for her MA-she can't get a job for the life of her. I'm just wondering if it's worth all this stress? There's nothing more I love than helping people. I think a bit too much. I think that may also contribute to my mental health-too much focus on helping other people and none on myself (which I have been trying to even the balance).

I had this spark that hasn't gone away-which is to do some acting/drama lessons. I've had this for around 3 years but due to working and education I haven't been able to attend. I'm really interested in movies/tv etc but as my background is education/English based not sure if that could lead anywhere.

I think my problem is I want to do too many different things and don't like to settle on one. I hate the idea of being stuck in the same job for 20 years.

I'm not even sure what i'm hoping to get from this. Anyone else feel this way about their career?
Hi!

Sorry you feel this way. I was once interested in Medicine but when I started year 12 I realised it wasn't for me. My Asian parents pushed me to a Medicine degree but then one day I made it clear that it wasn't what I wanted to do. 2 months later after a LOT of research and asking my teachers for advice, I realised I wanted to do Chemistry and now that's what I will hopefully do if I get good A-Level grades!

The point is, is that not everyone decides what they want to do straight away. People have different ways of figuring it out and some take longer than others, and this is not a problem.

I would say finish with your MA and then try with the acting/drama thing you want to do. I'm not sure if agencies will accept an English degree but there is no harm in trying. If not, maybe you could do a course.

Sorry if this was rubbish advice but I hope it made you feel a bit better.

Good luck and I hope you figure what you want to do soon! :hugs:
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I think this is perfectly normal tbh and you are not alone Some people don't realise/discover what it is they want to do until later in life and that's fine

In terms of careers-there's no such thing as a job for life anymore. Someone replied to me on here saying to do what you want to do now, and don't think about 20 years in the future. That's just causing extra stress when it doesn't need to be. If you want to teach now, go do it and if you decide in 5 years you don't want to then that's your decision!

I think from what you've said-you need to put yourself first. Don't worry about other people and do things that you like and enjoy (as much as you can given the current situation). Focus on you first and then everyone else comes later.

Acting lessons/classes seem like they would be a good thing for you to do. When you go to these classes you can get your emotions out etc and playing different characters/people means having different lives in a way. Not sure where you live but you can do 10 week (I think) courses for adults here up North (England).

not sure if this will be much help but I hope you will feel better soon!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (154)
38.21%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.52%
Look for a job (14)
3.47%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.22%
Take a year out (69)
17.12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
6.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed