StephWatts
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi there,

I'm hoping to apply for a part-time MSc course in Artificial Intelligence starting next year, and I'd like to apply for a Postgraduate Master's Loan to help fund it. The problem is that in 2016 I had to leave a previous MSc course at a different university due to personal reasons. I understand that in order to apply again I will have to provide evidence of compelling personal reasons (CPR), and I've already spoken to SFE and read up on what that might involve, so I don't have any questions regarding that.

However, looking around at other posts on this forum, I've read about "exception courses" at undergraduate level, where people can re-apply for funding if, for example, they are aiming to apply for a part-time BSc in Computer Science (I don't have the full list but it includes mathematical disciplines, technology, and computer science, among others, and it's on one of the other threads here). I was just wondering, does this also apply to people applying for a Postgraduate Master's Loan, or are "exception courses" exclusively an undergraduate thing?

Thanks so much for your time!
murpo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StephWatts)
Hi there,

I'm hoping to apply for a part-time MSc course in Artificial Intelligence starting next year, and I'd like to apply for a Postgraduate Master's Loan to help fund it. The problem is that in 2016 I had to leave a previous MSc course at a different university due to personal reasons. I understand that in order to apply again I will have to provide evidence of compelling personal reasons (CPR), and I've already spoken to SFE and read up on what that might involve, so I don't have any questions regarding that.

However, looking around at other posts on this forum, I've read about "exception courses" at undergraduate level, where people can re-apply for funding if, for example, they are aiming to apply for a part-time BSc in Computer Science (I don't have the full list but it includes mathematical disciplines, technology, and computer science, among others, and it's on one of the other threads here). I was just wondering, does this also apply to people applying for a Postgraduate Master's Loan, or are "exception courses" exclusively an undergraduate thing?

Thanks so much for your time!
Going from memory, there are no exception courses for postgraduate funding.

Postgraduate healthcare courses and PGCE courses are exceptions but they attract undergraduate funding not postgraduate funding.

To study artificial intelligence you will need to provide CPR
StephWatts
Rep:
?
(Original post by murpo)
Going from memory, there are no exception courses for postgraduate funding.

Postgraduate healthcare courses and PGCE courses are exceptions but they attract undergraduate funding not postgraduate funding.

To study artificial intelligence you will need to provide CPR
Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying - I really appreciate it.

If I could ask another question: is there a cap on the amount I should request from SFE, considering what I received from my previous loan (I received one payment of £3300 before withdrawing, from a total loan amount of £10,000)? Or should I just request what I believe I need for my course, and will SFE then calculate the amount they can loan me if they approve my request?
Last edited by StephWatts; 2 months ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi there,

Thank you so much for replying - I really appreciate it.

If I could ask another question: is there a cap on the amount I should request from SFE, considering what I received from my previous loan (I received one payment of £3300 before withdrawing, from a total loan amount of £10,000)? Or should I just request what I believe I need for my course, and will SFE then calculate the amount they can loan me if they approve my request?
Hi, if your CPR is accepted then you will be able to apply for the maximum funding available. You can view the figure here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...ats-available/
Thanks, Isaac
StephWatts
Rep:
?
(Original post by SFE Isaac)
Hi, if your CPR is accepted then you will be able to apply for the maximum funding available. You can view the figure here https://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/...ats-available/
Thanks, Isaac
Okay, that's good to know. Thanks Isaac, much appreciated.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Okay, that's good to know. Thanks Isaac, much appreciated.
You're welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (185)
29%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.61%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.09%
I want to meet current students (53)
8.31%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.99%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.91%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.96%
Other things โ€“ I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.13%

Watched Threads