where can i buy some dumbbells

Watch
blobfish123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hey, im 16 and i wanted to buy some dumbells to do some at home workouts (which i already do but just bodyweight) but im kinda confused- i dont wanna spend too much money and i dont know how heavy they should be. any advice? x
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
:dumbells:

Argos / Amazon
blobfish123
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
:dumbells:

Argos / Amazon
thx yh ive checked, argos is out of stock, and amazon too or they are selling one 5kg dumbell for 30 quid which sounds like a lot to me.
Forever_Alone
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I brought mine on Amazon, but there are plenty of other places to purchase them, both online and in shops.
yzanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
amazon is always a safe bet.
AlastairSampson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dumbbells are admittedly expensive on Amazon, but it's your safest option, I personally wouldn't purchase used dumbbells off gumtree, wish, ebay or any other sites where you can't rely on the integrity or reputation of a business.
You could consider asking your parents or relatives to buy some for you, maybe try persuading them that you want to improve your fitness and health, they might chip in to help you.

In terms of how heavy they should be, for a 16 year old you don't need to go above 18kg's max, when I turned 16 I bought a pair of 10kg's to train light for more reps, then a few months later I bought a pair of 15kg's for a slightly heavier challenge. As long as you're not just doing weights and doing the real basics like push ups and legs, you'll be fine. You might be able to incorporate dumbbells into those exercises anyway.
blobfish123
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlastairSampson)
Dumbbells are admittedly expensive on Amazon, but it's your safest option, I personally wouldn't purchase used dumbbells off gumtree, wish, ebay or any other sites where you can't rely on the integrity or reputation of a business.
You could consider asking your parents or relatives to buthy some for you, maybe try persuading them that you want to improve your fitness and health, they might chip in to help you.

In terms of how heavy they should be, for a 16 year old you don't need to go above 18kg's max, when I turned 16 I bought a pair of 10kg's to train light for more reps, then a few months later I bought a pair of 15kg's for a slightly heavier challenge. As long as you're not just doing weights and doing the real basics like push ups and legs, you'll be fine. You might be able to incorporate dumbbells into those exercises anyway.
thanks so much! also, im a girl and a beginner so 18kg might be a bit much lol
blobfish123
Rep:
?
also i cant do pushups
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can get adjustable ones off eBay/amazon any fitness retailer
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blobfish123)
also i cant do pushups
Perhaps try keeping your hands a little wider out from your body.

If you have to do them on your knees but don't kneel down just pivot on them.

Try and build to correct push ups, you could try some incline push-ups which use slightly different muscles groups (don't confuse this with decline push-ups which are much harder then standard ones).
AlastairSampson
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by blobfish123)
thanks so much! also, im a girl and a beginner so 18kg might be a bit much lol
Just lift what you can manage without breaking anything and you'll be cool.
blobfish123
Rep:
?
thanks so much guys
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (192)
33.28%
Receiving them online / by email (289)
50.09%
I still don't know (96)
16.64%

Watched Threads