Who STILL hasn't got accommodation? Watch

Cuckoo
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
*Raises hand*

- This is a thread for all those who want to wallow in self pity.
- For all those that check their emails every 10 minutes.
- For those who go rushing to the letterbox in the morning, in the hope that a juicy accommodation pack has arrived.
- For those that have been brushed off on the telephone to HAS.
- For those who have been having nightmares of living in a flat filled with postgrads and no-one to go to freshers weeks with.
- For those that have nearly turned green all over by hearing people talk about: living in the Vale hotspots, along with moving in dates, finding flatmates on facebook and generally knowing their future.

PLEASE JOIN THIS BABY.
THANK YOU. THE EMO NOW SIGNS OFF.
smash
Report 10 years ago
Me
I didn't apply till late may, rang HAS this morning and they said it'd be another week. During which I'm in cardiff so if it's crap I won't be able to sort it out. I'm doing nursing - I need self-catered, I need to be able to get to a bathroom, I need to be able to get to a bus
It's so unfair, I know I'm just going to get lumped somewhere. If I do then sod it I'm staying at home I only live the other side of edgbaston.

Is there any way you can view your accomodation choices? I've got a really horrible feeling I put jarratt hall high up and I don't think I can even afford it lol

oh noes
Charlurr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by smash)
Is there any way you can view your accomodation choices? I've got a really horrible feeling I put jarratt hall high up and I don't think I can even afford it lol
Yupppp, just go onto the online application section again and you can have a look at your submitted application.

If you applied online, that is.
Cuckoo
http://www.has.bham.ac.uk/studentaccom/accomavail.shtml

here's the link. on the page, click on "ONLINE APPLICATION" and then sign in through there! i think you should be getting accommodation earlier than me, because, if this makes you feel any better, i applied after results day and i'm insurance. D'OH.
smash
Report 10 years ago
oh bugger I put it first!!!!! nooooooooooooo I really don't want there. and victoria as my second? what the hell was i thinking?
have all the offers for mason redevelopment and oakley court gone out?
are you able to change at all?
lol my application was submitted on the 27th may, day before it closed.
I am going to have no social life whatsoever :[
Charlurr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's so not true about the social life thing. Besides, its as social as you make it, halls has got nothing to do with it. >_>
Cuckoo
i wouldn't mind jarratt hall..........i think.
they are putting students in Victoria....so you may end up there.

can't a team of them sit down and spend an intensive day allocating rooms for us all? or have a computer do it for them? i swear, it's not THAT complicated is it?
smash
Report 10 years ago
well yes but 35 hour weeks plus possibly in halls with mainly second and third year students? would they put all the first years together?
and I can't afford jarratt hall, my mum changed her mind on giving me money lol would that be a good enough reason for them to put me somewhere else?

i wouldn't mind vicoria so much, the location is v good in my opinion as a local but theres meant to be lots of international students. i really want oakley me thinks.
will just have to sit tight, it's not the end of the world i guess
Charlurr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cuckoo)
can't a team of them sit down and spend an intensive day allocating rooms for us all? or have a computer do it for them? i swear, it's not THAT complicated is it?
Yes, it really is. My friends mom is the manager of HAS. At the moment she's working 13 hour days, trying to sort out accommodation. Not only have they got to do yours, but they have to spend hours on the phone to people who havent got what they wanted, numerous questions etc.

And considering you keep saying you applied the day before results day, stop complaining, as people who applied long before you havent heard. If I was in your position, I think Id probably be grateful for any accommodation they offer me.

Yes, you just touched a nerve :yep:
Cuckoo
(Original post by Charlurr)
Yes, it really is. My friends mom is the manager of HAS. At the moment she's working 13 hour days, trying to sort out accommodation. Not only have they got to do yours, but they have to spend hours on the phone to people who havent got what they wanted, numerous questions etc.

And considering you keep saying you applied the day before results day, stop complaining, as people who applied long before you havent heard. If I was in your position, I think Id probably be grateful for any accommodation they offer me.

Yes, you just touched a nerve :yep:

Okay, i made a mistake about accommodation. But they are extremely disorganised for a university! Didn't Firm people who applied reaaaalllllllly early, get confused with clearing students and miss out on accommodation or got it really late? I'm sorry, but a university want you for your money and are like businesses. I should think if i'm willing to pay a lot for accommodation, they can be efficient enough to sort out all the Firms nice and efficiently and then sort out Late appliers. But they're cocking up lots of Firm applications too! If they hadn't messed up loads of applications, their phone lines WOULDN'T be jammed up by worried students.

Also, i applied late and made a mistake, but in no way should I feel like I should be "grateful" for accommodation. They know damn-well they have to leave enough rooms for clearing & insurance students. If anything, i'm entitled to a room in halls. Is a fun fresher's week too much to ask for?
Charlurr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, you're not entitled to a room because you're not covered by the guarantee, but shrug. And to leave enough rooms for you and other clearing students, they should ignore some of the firm people? That's what you're implying. Which is just wrong, as it says in every website/prospectus/leaflet, its first come first serve.

And believe me, theyre more organised than a lot of other universities. In my group of friends, im the only one who's heard about accommodation. I assume by 'cocking up firm applications' you mean people not getting their choices? Hardly HAS's fault. They only have a certain amount of rooms and allocate them as quickly as possible.

Im not saying you cant have a fun freshers week, the opposite in fact. Freshers should be awesome. But what Im saying is that HAS are trying their hardest, and people like you complaining etc dont help things. Plus, you cant really tell them how to do things unless you're in their situation. You dont know how hard theyre working, what theyve got to do etc.
Cuckoo
(Original post by Charlurr)
Well, you're not entitled to a room because you're not covered by the guarantee, but shrug. And to leave enough rooms for you and other clearing students, they should ignore some of the firm people? That's what you're implying. Which is just wrong, as it says in every website/prospectus/leaflet, its first come first serve.

And believe me, theyre more organised than a lot of other universities. In my group of friends, im the only one who's heard about accommodation. I assume by 'cocking up firm applications' you mean people not getting their choices? Hardly HAS's fault. They only have a certain amount of rooms and allocate them as quickly as possible.

Im not saying you cant have a fun freshers week, the opposite in fact. Freshers should be awesome. But what Im saying is that HAS are trying their hardest, and people like you complaining etc dont help things. Plus, you cant really tell them how to do things unless you're in their situation. You dont know how hard theyre working, what theyve got to do etc.
ok, i'm not here to argue and i wasn't implying they should ignore Firms, if you read my post, i was saying they should have sorted firms out ages ago.

obviously i'm going to feel a bit anxious, nervous and frustrated that i haven't been given a room (any any room, i'm not fussy!). it's okay for people to stick up for HAS, when they've already been given accommodation.
tcm1106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Okay, i made a mistake about accommodation. But they are extremely disorganised for a university! Didn't Firm people who applied reaaaalllllllly early, get confused with clearing students and miss out on accommodation or got it really late? I'm sorry, but a university want you for your money and are like businesses. I should think if i'm willing to pay a lot for accommodation, they can be efficient enough to sort out all the Firms nice and efficiently and then sort out Late appliers. But they're cocking up lots of Firm applications too! If they hadn't messed up loads of applications, their phone lines WOULDN'T be jammed up by worried students.

Also, i applied late and made a mistake, but in no way should I feel like I should be "grateful" for accommodation. They know damn-well they have to leave enough rooms for clearing & insurance students. If anything, i'm entitled to a room in halls. Is a fun fresher's week too much to ask for?

Firstly I think you'll find that they are extremely well organised. Trying to allocate thousands of people to accommodation in order of preference, date of application and catering requirements is a major logistical operation and given the amount of time that they have, they appear to do reasonably well. People who were unconditional applicants were allocated accommodation a long time ago and HAS obviously can't allocate to conditional students before results day. Given that its only been 15 days since results were made available, its not suprising that there are still applications to be processed.
Regarding the fact that you feel you're entitled to accommodation, thats a load of rubbish. There is no obligation for any university to provide accommodation for clearing/insurance students, Birmingham *choose* to operate the freshers guarantee scheme which, fortunately for you, does mean that you will get accommodation but understandably you will be at the bottom of the list... so stop complaining and be patient.
tcm1106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
it's okay for people to stick up for HAS, when they've already been given accommodation.
Grow up.
Cuckoo
lmao. this thread was a light-hearted one for people who haven't yet got accommodation, to have a little moan.

no need to be self-righteous. no need to be rude. you're not in my position so don't give any lectures!
tcm1106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
lmao. this thread was a light-hearted one for people who haven't yet got accommodation, to have a little moan.

no need to be self-righteous. no need to be rude. you're not in my position so don't give any lectures!
  • I was in your position last year...
  • I work for HAS...

Lets leave it at that.
Cuckoo
(Original post by tcm1106)
  • I work for HAS...

Lets leave it at that.
Alright, so that explains the biased remarks.

And yes, we'll leave it at that.
Charlurr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wtf?! Biased remarks?!

One, he was in your position last year, so that would cancel out any bias, as he knows what you're going through and probably had some of the same thoughts as you.

But seriously, instead of pissing and moaning about it all, grow up and realise that the logistics involved are huuuuuge and that your single application probably isnt the most important thing to them at this moment in time.

Harumphhh.
Dun-did-it
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tcm1106)
  • I work for HAS...

Lets leave it at that.

Just a quick question, if you haven't been allocated to somewhere where you wanted, can you ask to be re-allocated, before you sign any contracts?
tcm1106
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Dun-did-it)
Just a quick question, if you haven't been allocated to somewhere where you wanted, can you ask to be re-allocated, before you sign any contracts?
You can try your best but they'll probably tell you to stick with what you've got until October when you can transfer if you still want to. Give them a ring. 0121 414 8000
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.24%
No (203)
72.76%

Watched Threads