Teaching English in the UK as an Asian (impossible to get a job?)

Watch
gracenam
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey all,

I'm an Asian who has lived a big portion of life abroad.

I love literature and want to share the beauty of it with youths. I've tutored English, dealt with youth groups before and enjoyed every moment.

I plan to apply for PGCE Secondary English this year and hopefully teach in the UK afterwards.

Sadly, everyone nearby has concerns that it will be very challenging to become an English teacher in the UK(or US, Aus etc) as an Asian.

Do you think this is true?

I guess it's true that the amount of exposure I've had with Eng lit and Eng lang, in general, is not as much as the natives. That's why I'm working on reading more, writing more and starting my master's this Sept for Eng lit.

Have you seen any cases where schools have hired non-native or non-caucasian English teachers?
Last edited by gracenam; 1 week ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
not at all in the UK, think you're overthinking it, especially with the shortage of teachers atm, good luck
Sam.C.Mat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have a Polish friend who does it down on the South Coast. I think the biggest issue may be that English is one of the subjects where there are more applicants per position (compared to maths or MFL).
Lots of places would be fine with it, it's not like English literature is only for people born in England!
You'll also find that not every teacher has the same knowledge of language and literature, people will have studied slightly different courses and modules to arrive at the same place - lots of things that might be important at university level (critical theory, old or middle English, various literary movements) won't be quite as relevant teaching year 9.
I think the only things that would possibly count against someone, and that would be mostly in terms of making the right impression, would be having an accent people found hard to understand or body language which didn't fit with British norms. If you're studying in Britain you'd quickly be able to work on those, and to be fair everyone can always work on improving the way they speak, write and communicate. Native speaker doesn't mean someone's a top tier communicator!
Good luck.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gracenam)
Hey all,

I love literature and want to share the beauty of it with youths. I've tutored English, dealt with youth groups before and enjoyed every moment.

I plan to apply for PGCE Secondary English this year and hopefully teach in the UK afterwards.

Sadly, everyone nearby has concerns that it will be very challenging to become an English teacher in the UK(or US, Aus etc) as an Asian.

I guess it's true that the amount of exposure I've had with Eng lit and Eng lang, in general, is not as much as the natives. That's why I'm working on reading more, writing more and starting my master's this Sept for Eng lit.

Have you seen any cases where schools have hired non-native English teacher?
Do you have a degree in English? If not, this would be a sticking point for training/most schools- but your masters will overcome this hurdle. Other than that, I don't think being non-native would be a problem for schools.

The bigger issue may be getting a work visa as an English teacher- your NQT salary won't be high enough, and English isn't on the visa list as a shortage profession. If you have the right to work in the UK, this won't be an issue either.

You might face discrimination in some parts of the UK, but in a cosmopolitan city, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't, and your background would likely be an advantage!
I07
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey all,

Have you seen any cases where schools have hired non-native English teachers?
Currently there's a shortage of teachers so if you really don't mind where you work then you have a good chance however if you do enter the "bad" secondary schools of England you may experience bullying and racism dependant on how strong your accent is, i mean you are dealing with teenagers
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey all,

Have you seen any cases where schools have hired non-native or non-caucasian English teachers?
Dear gracenam

I have worked with many people who were not from the UK, or from a black or minority ethnic background working in UK schools. You ought not to be concerned in this respect. However, for international aspiring teachers, looking to work in the UK, the tricky aspect is in showing an equivalence to GCSE English and Maths (including Science if you'd like to teach in a primary setting) If you have this to hand already, your application ought not to be too challenging.

You will need to choose your providers carefully as some will require you to have a large proportion of your degree focused on either English Language or Literature. Others will consider your potential of teaching more and be more lenient in this regard.

If you'd like support to help you apply for a course, please register here.

All the best, Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise